Updated Scholarship Grid | The Boneyard

Updated Scholarship Grid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
KlWxv18.png

Reaction Score
I'll say this: that chart looks a hell of a lot better than it did a year ago! The only weakness is we're maybe one guard short in 2016 if Purvis leaves as expected. If we could get Diallo to re-classify and join us in the fall, that would be the final domino. Of course, for 2017 we still have time.

Reaction Score
Outstanding work, I have a job for you adding colored boxes to excel spread sheets,

Reaction Score
I'll say this: that chart looks a hell of a lot better than it did a year ago! The only weakness is we're maybe one guard short in 2016 if Purvis leaves as expected. If we could get Diallo to re-classify and join us in the fall, that would be the final domino. Of course, for 2017 we still have time.

Was thinking the same thing. I'm happy with Diallo whenever he wants to come, though, so beggars can't be choosers. Him and Brown playing together at Putnam for a year wouldn't be the worst thing either

Reaction Score

it's funny - I saw the open spot before your comment and just figured Ollie would fill it with a grad transfer guard assuming the NCAA doesn't shut that down by the end of the year. I still think Purvis will be back nxt year but if not I don't see why we wouldn't continue the grad transfer route

Reaction Score
Is Sam C on schedule to graduate? If so, will he have 5th year option?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I don't like using all the scholarship slots up every year. It gives you less flexibility for transfers and future recruits. Sort of like cap space in the NFL. Never use up all your space for the coming year. jmo

Reaction Score
Is there a chance Juwan redshirts next year?
It's a possibility: http://hoopseen.com/index.php/news/hoopseen-20/item/4132-juwan-durham-rehabs-from-injury

However, in speaking with the Tampa Prep product, Durham has the long-term in mind and didn't rule out the possibility of redshirting his freshman year. Why the redshirt option? Durham feels that it may be in his best interest that he gains the strength that he needs in order to take the pounding and grind that is high-major division-1 basketball.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I don't like using all the scholarship slots up every year. It gives you less flexibility for transfers and future recruits. Sort of like cap space in the NFL. Never use up all your space for the coming year. jmo

Especially if it means filling the roster with guys who aren't really up to high major snuff. That whole Jamaal Trice, Darius Smith thing kind of hurt us in the end. It's nice when 3-stars like that work out, but there's so much risk involved with them either a) never evolving and taking up a spot or b) transferring out, potentially in bad standing and giving the program an APR hit.

Reaction Score

I agree with this. The thing I don't want to see, and fortunately KO has learned from JC's mistakes on this, is adding a low-rated spring signing who doesn't belong at this level and takes up roster space and/or transfers after 2 years.

The grad transfer is a way to get a decently-rated guy who only affects the roster for 1 year. This year, we happened to add two impact players, rather than mere role players.

Basically, we have two spots "open" for next year, which can be filled by (in my order of preference): Purvis, Diallo, grad transfer, nobody, and/or 3-star high school kid.

Reaction Score
Especially if it means filling the roster with guys who aren't really up to high major snuff. That whole Jamaal Trice, Darius Smith thing kind of hurt us in the end. It's nice when 3-stars like that work out, but there's so much risk involved with them either a) never evolving and taking up a spot or b) transferring out, potentially in bad standing and giving the program an APR hit.

Wow, you literally posted the exact same thing I did. Beat me by 15 seconds.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I agree with this. The thing I don't want to see, and fortunately KO has learned from JC's mistakes on this, is adding a low-rated spring signing who doesn't belong at this level and takes up roster space and/or transfers after 2 years.
The grad transfer is a way to get a decently-rated guy who only affects the roster for 1 year. This year, we happened to add two impact players, rather than mere role players.

And the unspoken implication is that this low rated kid is not going to get any minutes anyway, so he's effectively dead money.

How many of these guys ever worked out here? I'm sure there was one diamond in the rough type, but most are gone by senior year.

And I'd rather have one Pat Lenehan on the roster than some 3 star who struggles making it on or off the court.

Reaction Score
Yup. And Ollie's learned quick, because he's recruited four three-star players and two of them have transferred out.

No more of that, clearly. Even if I do think we'd have one or two more wins this season had TSam stayed. Oh well.

How many of these guys ever worked out here? I'm sure there was one diamond in the rough type, but most are gone by senior year.
Amida, Phil & Gavin are three of recent vintage who've had good careers, and obviously we don't win in 2014 without TSam. So there have been a few.

But there are as many misses as hits, and we can't really afford that. And Ollie knows it.

Reaction Score
The one-man Hamilton class left us flexible for that year, but it's going to have slight ripple effects in later years (especially if he goes pro). '17 is going to need to be another 4 or 5 player class.

Reaction Score

Amida, Phil & Gavin are three of recent vintage who've had good careers, and obviously we don't win in 2014 without TSam. So there have been a few.

Donnell Beverly worked out in the sense that he stayed 4 years and wasn't a detriment to the program. But even his contributions were minimal.

Bigs are different though. They're almost always more developmental, so you can take an unheralded big and maybe they develop for 4 years. That said, Nolan and Brimah would not be playing as much if our recruiting in that period weren't awful (Nolan would never play and Brimah would be a bench player, albeit a productive one). And for every Gavin Edwards, there's a Ben Eaves and a Rakim Lubin.

Samuel doesn't really apply in this conversation since he was a fall signing (9/2/12 according to ESPN*), which really speaks to how bad our recruiting was at the time. A guy who ordinarily would be an emergency spring signing, plan E/F, was basically Plan A/B because the top PGs wouldn't give us the time of day.

* another interesting fact is he's listed as a shooting guard on that ESPN recruiting page, which is amazing for a guy who went 0 for 18 on 3's over his career here

Reaction Score
Based on Rivals database going back to 2002...

3* players who outplayed ranking: Denham Brown, Hilton Armstrong, Craig Austrie, Gavin Edwards, Amida Brimah

3* players who provided solid bench depth: Donnell Beverly, Charles Okwandu, Tyler Olander, Phil Nolan, Terrence Samuel, Sam Cassell, Jr.

3* that were not impact players and then transferred out: Marcus White, Ryan Thompson, Antonio Kellogg, Robert Garrison, Ben Eaves, Rakim Lubin, Scottie Haralson, Jonathan Mandeldove, Jamaal Trice, Michael Bradley​

I don't think there's any harm in saving scholarships #12 and #13 for 3* players. I rather do that than give walk-ons scholarships.

Reaction Score
Donnell Beverly worked out in the sense that he stayed 4 years and wasn't a detriment to the program. But even his contributions were minimal.

Bigs are different though. They're almost always more developmental, so you can take an unheralded big and maybe they develop for 4 years. That said, Nolan and Brimah would not be playing as much if our recruiting in that period weren't awful (Nolan would never play and Brimah would be a bench player, albeit a productive one). And for every Gavin Edwards, there's a Ben Eaves and a Rakim Lubin.

Samuel doesn't really apply in this conversation since he was a fall signing (9/2/12 according to ESPN*), which really speaks to how bad our recruiting was at the time. A guy who ordinarily would be an emergency spring signing, plan E/F, was basically Plan A/B because the top PGs wouldn't give us the time of day.

* another interesting fact is he's listed as a shooting guard on that ESPN recruiting page, which is amazing for a guy who went 0 for 18 on 3's over his career here
Brimah was overlooked by pretty much all the recruiting services. Guy should have been a fringe top 100 player and a 4* player, similar to where Facey was ranked.

Reaction Score
People still think Purvis is a high risk to leave next year? For where? Not the NBA. He's currently 12th in the AAC in scoring, 9th in 3 point %, coming off the bench for a 4-2 team in a 1 or 2 bid conference. None of that sounds like draft material. I don't mean to be critical of one of our key players and team leaders, but this isn't proving to be the star-turn season some had hoped for in October. Unless people see him as a risk to "grad transfer" out (I can't fathom that), I expect he's back next year.

Reaction Score
Based on Rivals database going back to 2002...

3* players who outplayed ranking: Denham Brown, Hilton Armstrong, Craig Austrie, Gavin Edwards, Amida Brimah

3* players who provided solid bench depth: Donnell Beverly, Charles Okwandu, Tyler Olander, Phil Nolan, Terrence Samuel, Sam Cassell, Jr.

3* that were not impact players and then transferred out: Marcus White, Ryan Thompson, Antonio Kellogg, Robert Garrison, Ben Eaves, Rakim Lubin, Scottie Haralson, Jonathan Mandeldove, Jamaal Trice, Michael Bradley​

I don't think there's any harm in saving scholarships #12 and #13 for 3* players. I rather do that than give walk-ons scholarships.

So what you're saying is, fully half end up being Sam Cassell or worse. That's not a terribly strong case for these reach signings.

At the end of the day, what we do with our 13th scholarship doesn't matter a ton, but in this era of transfer "free agency" I think it pays to have more roster flexibility.

By the way, I am shocked Denham Brown was a 3-star. 111 points aside, I thought when he came in he was expected to be a stud. Could he have been excluded from recruiting rankings because he was in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom