Updated Scholarship Grid | The Boneyard

Updated Scholarship Grid

Reaction Score
As I've said all year long: I hope the final scholarship goes to a postgrad SG/wing. That would guarantee us one open scholarship for the class of 2018, possibly jumping to three if Jalen and Larrier leave after next year (more if there are transfers, but I don't want to speculate about that and neither should you).

A few things about this team, on paper:
- There is finally depth at PG, for the first time since 2014
- Larrier's health and ability to be option 1B is obviously key
- The one thing that could raise this team's ceiling the most is if Durham started realizing his potential on both sides of the ball
- I'm still not convinced we'll rebound well enough against the Cincys of the world unless something clicks for Durham & Enoch

Wouldn't larrier be a sophomore athletically next year?
No, though when/if the time comes he could petition the NCAA for a sixth year of eligibility and would almost certainly get it (think Robbie Hummel).

Reaction Score
As I've said all year long: I hope the final scholarship goes to a postgrad. That would guarantee us one open scholarship for the class of 2018, possibly jumping to three if Jalen and Larrier leave after next year (more if there are transfers, but I don't want to speculate about that and neither should you).

A few things about this team, on paper:
- There is finally depth at PG, for the first time since 2014
- Larrier's health and ability to be option 1B is obviously key
- The one thing that could raise this team's ceiling the most is if Durham started realizing his potential on both sides of the ball
- I'm still not convinced we'll rebound well enough against the Cincys of the world unless something clicks for Durham & Enoch

No, though when/if the time comes he could petition the NCAA for a sixth year of eligibility and would almost certainly get it (think Robbie Hummel).
Thought because he transferred, then got hurt this year and applied for a medical redshirt he would already have it. Thanks for clearing that up!

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Looking at that grid, I notice 3 things. First, I think 2018-19 has obvious potential to be a stellar year, and 2019-20 is looking pretty awesome too. Second, wouldn't a Cam Reddish be a killer addition for those years? Third, the freshman class next year, Gilbert and Ashton-Langford at guard, Diarra and Polley at forward, Carlton at center, strikes me as very strong and balanced, provided they develop as expected.

Reaction Score
My starting five:
Gilbert (6’0 175) , Adams (6’3 190) , Larrier (6’8 192), Jackson (6’8 229), Enoch (6’11 269)

Guard depth: Ashton-Langford (6’2 185), Vital (6’2 178)

Forward/Center depth:
Durham (6’11 207), Diarra (6’8 215), Carlton (6’8 230), Polley (6’7 210), Cobb (6’9 290)

Much more balance next year than this year. I like how there are three legit guys who could handle the ball, while this year there was only really one. Curious how Cobb's huge frame will do. We haven't really had a guy that large since Big Ed.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
My starting five:
Gilbert (6’0 175) , Adams (6’3 190) , Larrier (6’8 192), Jackson (6’8 229), Enoch (6’11 269)

Forward/Center depth:
Durham (6’11 207), Diarra (6’8 215), Carlton (6’8 230), Polley (6’7 210), Cobb (6’9 290)

Much more balance next year than this year. I like how there are three legit guys who could handle the ball, while this year there was only really one. Curious how Cobb's huge frame will do. We haven't really had a guy that large since Big Ed.

Seems like an extremely fun team. Let's hope they can bring UConn Basketball back!

Reaction Score
The way this season went, can we use the last scholarship for a second team Doctor/trainer?

Reaction Score
We still need a sharp shooter. Someone who can kill zones on a consistent basis.

Think Bryan Fair or Albert Mourning or Giffey.

pj

Reaction Score
My starting five:

Forward/Center depth:

If Cobb is not starting, then bringing him in was a mistake.

I'd hope Durham would challenge Jackson. If Durham can't become a starter, this team's upside is limited.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
If Cobb is not starting, then bringing him in was a mistake.

I'd hope Durham would challenge Jackson. If Durham can't become a starter, this team's upside is limited.

This doesn't make sense to me...

Reaction Score
So we now have literally half of our scholarships dedicated to big men who we're not sure can play and/or are unlikely to give us anything next year. @Matrim55 is that not the same problem we had this year? Depth in the front court was not an issue, finding guys who could play was.

Reaction Score
So we now have literally half of our scholarships dedicated to big men who we're not sure can play and/or are unlikely to give us anything next year. @Matrim55 is that not the same problem we had this year? Depth in the front court was not an issue, finding guys who could play was.
Our big problem is that that we didn't have enough back court or wing players. So far next year we have Gilbert, MAL and Larrier (and possibly Polley, tho I think he's much more of a 3/4) coming in at those spots, which means we won't absolutely crater if Adams has an off night or if Jackson can't find his shot.

Obviously I wish we had more established bigs as well, but that wasn't going to be the case when we whiffed entirely in 2014 and only got a young, raw project (Enoch) in 2015. Ollie seems to be counting on internal improvement from the guys who are already on board, which isn't unusual for any college program. Or at the very least he's convinced one in the hand is worth two on the wing with regard to Cobb, and frankly if he'd taken that approach in recruiting three or four years ago we probably would be in better shape this season (what happens if we get on Bonzie Colson early despite his sub-200 ranking right up until spring of his senior year?).

I'm not super confident about huge internal improvement, but it's worth noting that Killings worked with Emeka in the NBA, and a full offseason with our current bigs should do them some good.

Reaction Score
Having Enoch and Cobb in at the same time is gonna be a b1+ch for other teams to create space for rebounds. I'm liking it

pj

Reaction Score
Yes, if this year taught us anything it's that functional depth isn't necessary.

To be clear, I'm expecting Cobb to be a 2-year starter and a significant contributor.

I was just replying to the fellow who thought Enoch would start and Cobb to be one of 5 splitting backup minutes. If that's all the value Cobb provides, then we could have found better ways to fill that scholarship.

Reaction Score
To be clear, I'm expecting Cobb to be a 2-year starter and a significant contributor.
Please lower your expectations.

I was just replying to the fellow who thought Enoch would start and Cobb to be one of 5 splitting backup minutes. If that's all the value Cobb provides, then we could have found better ways to fill that scholarship.
Perhaps Ollie figured he couldn't bank on a better way to fill the scholarship, and decided it was best to sign a guy who could give us a few rebounds and 5 more fouls for the next two years while he re-stabilized the program?

In a better world this would be Facey's redshirt junior year and we wouldn't be having this discussion. And in a better world than that, Enoch would be redshirting this year as a freshman after doing another year of prep school last year, and Jesse Govan would be giving us 25 minutes a night at the 5.

But this is the hand we've been dealt. It is what it is, and I'll be very happy if Cobb can give us 15 mpg for the next two years.

Reaction Score
Next seasons success IMO hinges on the development of Enoch this summer. It has to click for him on the defensive end, and he needs to learn how to stay on the court. If that happens, considering there are potential starting lineups excluding Vance/Vital, I like our chances to win a lot of games next year.

Reaction Score
Our big problem is that that we didn't have enough back court or wing players. So far next year we have Gilbert, MAL and Larrier (and possibly Polley, tho I think he's much more of a 3/4) coming in at those spots, which means we won't absolutely crater if Adams has an off night or if Jackson can't find his shot.

Agree with this. My hunch is that next season is contingent on the development of Enoch and Durham, and it's defense/rebounding that concerns me much more than whatever they give us on the other end, where we should have plenty of fire power.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom