Updated Roster Chart - again | The Boneyard

Updated Roster Chart - again

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Notables:

i) I added a column based on Edsall's in depth roster interview around New Years for ideal scholarship distribution. When you sum his specified targets you get to 80, so I guess he views the last 5 slots as ideal for special teams which is what I have presumed for now.

ii) I think its worth noting yet again that we are projected to have SEVEN unused scholarships next fall unless we get some transfers and/or Donaldson and Keating are awarded scholarships. Based on our best information up to 3 of the 7 slots could be awarded to new four year scholarship kids. Also note that awarding Keating prior to completing two years at UConn would sacrifice a space against the annual 25 new scholarship cap (ie thereby using one of those three slots).

iii) I did not attempt to identify the kids the staff has tagged as playing the Husky position. The staff seems to be referring to what I see as the hybrid CB/SS as the Husky Linebacker. I wanted to see what happens this spring before shifting names around. My guess is that Fortt is a Husky LB - but after that I am really still guessing at this point.

iv) I still think this staff will find another Kevin Mensah type situation this spring for a least one more four year scholarship and hit the JUCO circuit even harder for Eli Thomas and Santana Sterling type two year scholarship situations.

v) Regarding special teams I see the staff is following some kickers - so maybe we will use one of our seven slots that way.

vi) If anyone is wondering, nothing too notable yet with potential transfers beyond what has been posted in the other tread.

Reaction Score
bro, been there so many times...

upload_2018-2-18_22-44-12.png

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Corrected the linebacker count under the ideal Edsall roster which leaves 3 slots for special teams rather than 5.

I'm baffled as to why the link is suddenly working again - below. If anyone has a tip about posting links please PM me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When I look at our LBs and think about being at Boise and at Syracuse in the first three weeks of the season my stomach turns.

Reaction Score
When I look at our LBs and think about being at Boise and at Syracuse in the first three weeks of the season my stomach turns.

The LB’s only? When I look at that entire defensive roster it’s scary. Our most productive returning players in each position group:

DL - Murphy
LB - Sterling?
DB - Terry

Holy hell.

Reaction Score
well ...

Few here have confidence in Coach Crocker after that first year. My best case on D is that kids with speed who actually love to hit/tackle in the 5 deep DB positions will make a difference. I'm not going to denigrate the guys that put in years of work for Diaco and landed last year; but, I think they were misfits for what that 3-3-5 demands. I don't think Travis Jones will be deep RS next year. (because I don't see anyone else fulfilling that NG demand) And LBs ... you have to be hopeful that someone arrives out of the recent guys. Stirling didn't show me that much. And someone has to put pressure on QBs.

On the other hand, we have been - recently - less capable at QB. We might be able to score some.

Reaction Score
I’m not actually super worried about linebackers but I am horrified at DL depth.

I thought Gilmartin played well last year at ILB and will only get better. Intense player who doesn’t shy away from contact. I also expect a big step up from Darrian Beavers.

At DL we have Murphy and . . . ??????

Reaction Score
It is imperative that a DL has a good rotation because of not it really reduces effectiveness of players who have to play way too many snaps. Really hurt us last year and we lose all 3 starters. Murphy is a solid rotational player but if he is asked to play too many snaps he is going to get run down. I don’t care how good of a DL you are you need plenty of breaks.

Reaction Score
I’m not actually super worried about linebackers but I am horrified at DL depth.

I thought Gilmartin played well last year at ILB and will only get better. Intense player who doesn’t shy away from contact. I also expect a big step up from Darrian Beavers.

...the freshman. If they show any ability to compete and play hard they will need to play. I didn't see the D mess up because they were too aggressive. Mostly it was the opposite of that. DBs would close, hesitate and hold on for dear life. 3 yard gains became 8 or more. So, this year the D will be much more aggressive. We could use a transfer or two or as others have noted, someone else stepping up. I hope that once a few hitters are established it will become contagious. Don't even want to think about the alternative.

Reaction Score

We better hope that either Caleb Thomas is ready to play after a redshirt year, that Travis Jones is able to play as a true freshman, or they find a Juco or grad transfer . . .

Reaction Score
We better hope that either Caleb Thomas is ready to play after a redshirt year, that Travis Jones is able to play as a true freshman, or they find a Juco or grad transfer . . .

And even if that all happens we still don’t have an adequate rotation. I’m just hoping to see some people emerge so we are set up nicely for 2019. Have to wonder if an O Lineman is going to flipped to defense at some point.

Reaction Score

As a general rule, when you are relying on true and redshirt freshmen in the trenches. . . Not good.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

I think Beavers is gonna be legit. Outside of that, all bets are off

Reaction Score
Absolutely. We've played redshirt freshmen at DT effectively in the past (Martin, Reyes, Fatukasi), but it's not exactly a winning strategy.
And we would have loved to have all 3 for another year. Sometimes you just need to say the future is now.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Since we have seven available scholarships remaining I cannot stop running through the various machinations to "complete" this roster.

I would be looking to do the following with the seven spaces:
  1. Linebacker (2) - I'm very concerned given we have just 8 on the roster with 2 true freshman for the Sam/Will/Mike positions. We really need to bring two more LBs this class, a true frosh and a JUCO or grad transfer.
    1. Jeffrey Ulofoshio - I haven't seen any unsigned kids that look better than Ulo from Bishop Gorman in Las Vegas. He took a late visit to U of Washington and from what I can tell he might be looking to take the WO route. He is from Anchorage AK, so UW makes some sense unfortunately for us.
    2. Dylan Harris - Is there any chance this kid could fix his matriculation issues this spring to join our program this summer? Man I hope so because it would be a big shot in the arm.
    3. As I mentioned once before DTT is following Vincent Jackson, LB for USF who might be on track to graduate this spring with a year remaining of eligibility. Lets see if anything happens after spring ball wraps up for USF. He was a blue chip recruit that stayed home.
    4. Can we find another Eli Thomas in JUCO land this spring? We really needs someone that can play this fall - no sitting.
  2. Defensive Line (1) - Our needs are obvious and need no further explanation.
    1. Ryan Fines - Grad transfer for Miami has two years of eligibility to go with his 6'3'' 305 lb frame. He's a space eater that should be more effective in AAC football than ACC football. We won't do better than this kid in the transfer market, so let's make it happen. He can take a lot of pressure off Travis Jones from having to be hyper productive as a frosh.
    2. Jalen Scott - I'm okay with adding Jalen Scott or passing. He might add depth, but at 6'1'' I think its a tall order to be effective in a 3 man front at this size. Of course if the staff is really down on the existing kids and we have seven slots, then I suppose you take him for insurance.
  3. Running Back (1) - The need is obvious for a grad transfer. The staff is following:
    1. Madre London - grad transfer from Michigan State. Big Time player.
    2. Tre Watson - grad transfer from CAL who took an official visit to U of New Mex this weekend. Recovering from ACL injury.
    3. Dalvin Warmack - grad transfer from KState.
    4. CJ Holmes - seems unlikely, but worth a mention. Would be a good story if he came back to the home state to carry the load.
  4. Offensive Line (1) - We took four kids this cycle, but I think the staff would really like a fifth. I've got no note worthy candidates other than Troy Ingle who didn't sign with Western Kentucky. Maybe he is taking the Walk On route somewhere. I'd take a JUCO center, otherwise not that excited for a transfer as I'm looking guys with at least 3 years of eligibility to build long term depth.
  5. Tight End (1) - Again need is obvious with just four scholarship kids. Good slot for a transfer, either grad or undergrad. Could see the market percolate after spring ball.
  6. Mason Donaldson (1) - he's earned a scholarship. If you wait until fall than it doesn't count against the 25 man cap.
  7. Alt Scenario if we don't get the transfers above I would consider:
    1. Kicker (1) - The staff seems to following a few kickers. We have seven slots, why not use one on a worthy kicking prospect? I know ideally you carry just three special teams kids on scholarship, but if we had a top flight kicker this past year we might have two more wins. Obviously it needs to be a high quality candidate to hand out another scholarship here.
    2. Safety (1) - The staff is following Rodney Williams - grad transfer from Syracuse.
College Football Transfer Players Who Will Make a Big Impact in 2018

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Looks like Justin Bryant and Anthony Repollet are two bets to fill the single slot that was intended for Dillon Harris and/or Rayam.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
In my long post above I should have included CJ Fuller, grad transfer RB from Clemson that is currently following Terry Richardson. Of the known grad transfer RBs out there he seems like the guy we have the best shot at.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom