Update on the Calhoun Tribute - where now? | The Boneyard

Update on the Calhoun Tribute - where now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Update - where we are, where we're headed...

To recap, our original plan was to honor Jim Calhoun by raising $25,000 to enable The Pat and Jim Calhoun Cardiac Center to purchase a cardiopulmonary bypass pump. (If you missed all that, you can find the original post here.)

We figured that would take us most of the season and then we would begin raising some money for the Calhoun cancer charity walk/run/ride next spring.

But then the people here starting giving away their money like they were mad at it - and a few folks were seriously angry at their cash because they donated huge chunks of it. Long story made short, you people raised $25,000 in less than two weeks. And then forgot to stop...as of this moment, our effort stands at $30,485. We've raised enough to buy the pump and then some.

So where do we go from here? Honestly, we were caught a little flat-footed - we expected to spend months on the first act, so we never planned a second act and we still have people donating, asking to donate, telling us that they intend on donating down the road, etc.

So, Act Two - for certain, we're going to stick with the Calhoun Cardiac Center, via the UConn Foundation. There may be some additional area of need that the Center can identify - we're still working with John S. on that front.

If something materializes there and it makes sense, we'll set out for it. But, even if it doesn't, we're still all-in on the Cardiac Center and we'll keep our original drive open and active. We'll settle that in a matter of a few more days.

Bottom line, if you think you missed your opportunity to donate to the Calhoun tribute and a hell of a good cause, you haven't. If you're one of the people who asked if you can donate in December or January or whenever, you sure can. If you intended on donating, but Hurricane Sandy filled your basement with cod or your living room with pine trees or put your deck on the neighbor's roof, no problem - we're on your schedule.

The way we're looking at it, we'll spend the season raising money for the Cardiac Center, take a deep breath and then start planning for the Calhoun Charity Ride where we hope to see as many of you as possible for an old-timey Boneyard get-together - see the original post linked above for details there.

So, that's it for the moment.

To donate or to keep tabs on our running total, either check the header on any of the site's boards or visit our donation page at the UConn Foundation's website. Feel free to pass the link around on other sites, other boards, social media.

Reaction Score
Aiming for two pumps now?

Right now, we're not officially aiming at anything. We crushed the first 25k and now there are hurricanes and holidays and all that "life" rolling in. With some of the comments that came along with the donations, we know people gave very generously and it's hard to keep blindly hammering away (like they do at CPTV).

We know we will continue pushing that total forward and that's really our only goal right now.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
What's the estimate on matching funds? Can I assume most are just now starting to trickle in?

Right now, we're not officially aiming at anything. We crushed the first 25k and now there are hurricanes and holidays and all that "life" rolling in. With some of the comments that came along with the donations, we know people gave very generously and it's hard to keep blindly hammering away (like they do at CPTV).

We know we will continue pushing that total forward and that's really our only goal right now.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
What's the estimate on matching funds? Can I assume most are just now starting to trickle in?

Apparently, those can take some time to roll in and I don't think any have actually been received - to this point, about $1,800 in matching funds is expected.

Just as an FYI, about 155 people have donated...that's not bad at all.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
155 isn't bad but it is just a fraction of the potential of the board. For those who may feel like they can't give a lot right now, and it is tough time of year even without the lost revenue and added expenses from Sandy, I'd point out that if all the remaining members of the Boneyard gave $10 each, we'd have enough for a second pump and then some. So if you can find the time and resources to make a contribution of any amount, I'd encourage you to join this effort. I'm sure even Coach Calhoun will be touched by the fact that this unwashed bunch of yahoos came together to recognize what he has meant to the university, the State and each of us individually.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
155 contributors is awesome. There is a hope on the committee that we will have some members that we have not seen for a while return with the start of the season and that they will want to be part of this community effort.

The money total is an important way of showing Coach Calhoun that we really get how "special" he has been here and how remarkable his achievements. In addition, the number of Boneyarders contributing is just as important.

I doubt that a group of more committed fans of UConn men's basketball can be found anywhere and it would be amazing to be able to say that 200 or 250 or even 300 fans came together to let JC know that we "know" we were witness to history being made at the University of Connecticut.

Get your name on the giant check, show him that there are a lot of us loonies who think that he is the greatest.

Reaction Score
I haven't been able to yet, but I'll certainly be contributing at some point. How much depends on if I land this promotion I'm interviewing for today or not.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, has anyone inquired into what a $5k-$7k donation can provide for autism? This is another cause that JC is very involved in (due to I believe two of his grandkids) and it may look nice to hit two causes with our support.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
also i know this is left field, but whats it worth to some 1 here if i can get KO to mention the BY and this fund at some point to the press? its not something i can easily do but i'm willing to give it a serious(and respectful) try...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Dan - please do not get arrested for stalking Kevin Ollie.

While it would sure help, I don't think a video taped message from Ollie will carry the same weight when people learn that he's duct-taped to a chair in your basement.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Dan - please do not get arrested for stalking Kevin Ollie.

While it would sure help, I don't think a video taped message from Ollie will carry the same weight when people learn that he's duct-taped to a chair in your basement.
Are you thinking something like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc