Update on Penny Hardaway show in the land of misfit programs | The Boneyard

Update on Penny Hardaway show in the land of misfit programs

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
7584448F-A604-41AF-9C71-72518467753A.jpeg

Reaction Score
I honestly like Penny. Seems like a down to earth guy for such a big star. He runs a fun to watch play style and was probably the best part of our schedule last year. Also didn’t take parting shots at UConn like some others in the AAC (actually even seemed like he had lots of respect for us).

Think it’s still too early to fully judge him as a coach. His team is super young and think they just need to buy into Penny’s program more, just like our team with Hurley last couple years. Guy can obviously recruit though, and I’m rooting for him everytime in those recruiting battles versus Duke/Kentucky.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Why do people here hate them tho? Because of precious? Our histories barely intertwine, I don’t like or dislike them at this point.
I don’t think it's hate, just pointing out he probably wasn't qualified to be a head coach at this level yet. The results are proving it so far.

Reaction Score
I don’t think it's hate, just pointing out he probably wasn't qualified to be a head coach at this level yet. The results are proving it so far.
It certainly isn’t just stating the facts lol there’s a lot of satisfaction in his mistakes

Reaction Score
I honestly like Penny. Seems like a down to earth guy for such a big star. He runs a fun to watch play style and was probably the best part of our schedule last year. Also didn’t take parting shots at UConn like some others in the AAC (actually even seemed like he had lots of respect for us).

Think it’s still too early to fully judge him as a coach. His team is super young and think they just need to buy into Penny’s program more, just like our team with Hurley last couple years. Guy can obviously recruit though, and I’m rooting for him everytime in those recruiting battles versus Duke/Kentucky.
I hear you but man that team last year was just so sloppy and undisciplined that it’s hard not to reflect that on the coach. He’s going for a recruiting style that can either bring you lightning in a bottle or completely blow up in your face and so far the results have not been great. He may very well turn it around, but as great of a recruiter as Penny is, there’s only so far it will go if he can’t put a better coached team on the floor.

Reaction Score
Penny has been bit unlucky. If he had Wiseman last year we would look at him differently.

Reaction Score
Penny has been bit unlucky. If he had Wiseman last year we would look at him differently.
He didn't have Wiseman due to his own actions. He recruited him knowing he was ineligible. In essence, be knowingly cheated. I'm not going to give him credit for that. In fact, the opposite.

Reaction Score
I have a soft spot for Penny...mostly because of the shoes.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He didn't have Wiseman due to his own actions. He recruited him knowing he was ineligible. In essence, be knowingly cheated. I'm not going to give him credit for that. In fact, the opposite.
But you can do that in football and they don't say anything until the kid is the pros.

Reaction Score
Some AAC fans on the CBB reddit are delusional. They think the AAC can get 6 teams in the dance this year HAHAHA

Reaction Score
I can’t help myself but to draw comparisons between Penny and KO. I feel like i’ve seen Memphis’ exact situation before. To be fair, they went ahead and gave him a huge extension when he has in no way proven that he can coach yet.

Reaction Score
I remember one game last year that may say it all.
The game wasn't going well for Memphis and Penny called time out. While the team huddled up he had a "blank" look on his face while talking with Miller (as I recall) as if he was thinking, "what do we do now?" He let Miller take over the huddle with the team and give instructions.
Even though he can recruit at this level he just may not be able or experienced enough to manage a game/team at this level..........yet. AAU may have given him a false sense of what it takes to be a success as a coach.

Reaction Score
Classic example of the difficulty of succeeding in a job you are not qualified for. It is possible though, especially in sports, if you can control your ego, surround yourself with quality assistants, and put your nose to the grindstone. Usually the first of those is the most difficult.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
To be honest, I loved playing against Penny
He was a great player and is a great recruiter
But as in many cases, great recruiters don't make the best coaches
He was such a heady player but some of that hasn't transferred
That Memphis program sure has had it's share of colorful coaches - Squid, Pastner. Dana Kirk and Bartow - all had games taken away/forfeited

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom