Update On Future American Conference Tournament Sites | The Boneyard

Update On Future American Conference Tournament Sites

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
ESPN has an article from Andy Katz on Wichita/AAC and there's an interesting tidbit at the bottom surrounding the American Conference Tournament in future years:

Source: AAC decision on Wichita St. pending

"Meanwhile, the AAC is also making a decision on the future home of its men's and women's basketball tournaments. The women's tournament will return to the Mohegan Sun in Uncasville, Connecticut, next season and likely for the foreseeable future, according to a source.

The men's tournament will be in Orlando in 2018, and the league is looking at Orlando being an anchor site that gets a set number of years in a rotation. The other candidates being discussed for the rotation include Hartford, Connecticut -- which has hosted two of the past three seasons -- and Tulsa, Oklahoma, which just hosted the first and second rounds of the NCAA tournament and boasts at least five schools within driving distance."

Personally- I'd love to see it in Dallas, but I can understand it in Tulsa. Could be convinced on NOLA but not totally sold on that as an option yet and I think Orlando is just meh.

Reaction Score
From MSG to Tulsa. Get us out of here.
1c6.gif

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Memphis is a great location for the tourney too.
Forgot about Memphis, but actually completely agree on this. Within a ~7ish hour drive you have Wichita St, Tulsa, SMU, Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis, Tulane. Add in the fact that its a fun city to visit for the weekend and I believe UConn sent a decent amount of fans in 2014 and would do so in future years Memphis has to be up there as far as candidate cities go. I wonder why they haven't been back since the inaugural tournament there.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Forgot about Memphis, but actually completely agree on this. Within a ~7ish hour drive you have Wichita St, Tulsa, SMU, Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis, Tulane. Add in the fact that its a fun city to visit for the weekend and I believe UConn sent a decent amount of fans in 2014 and would do so in future years Memphis has to be up there as far as candidate cities go. I wonder why they haven't been back since the inaugural tournament there.

I'd add in that Memphis is a city that cares about basketball too. Easy drive for over half the conference. I'd say it's a better weekend getaway than Tulane/New Orleans. I'd take Beale over Bourbon any day of the week for nightlife.

Only advantage to Orlando is every city has direct flights there.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
What happened in Memphis? Being in Tampa I would love Orlando for the foreseeable future. I can't stand the XL center personally and do miss that long weekend of the BE Tournament at MSG. Five of us - two Villanova, one SU, one Pitt and one the good guys for all the games!

Reaction Score
What happened in Memphis? Being in Tampa I would love Orlando for the foreseeable future. I can't stand the XL center personally and do miss that long weekend of the BE Tournament at MSG. Five of us - two Villanova, one SU, one Pitt and one the good guys for all the games!

nothing will ever, ever, EVER rival MSG/NYC. My God, the times we had down there. It was a treat even watching the last place play-in games, just because we were in that building.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Memphis apparently blew their hosting trial so badly that the schools do not want to go back.

Tulsa.

Wow. This just gets better every day, doesn't it?

That would explain why Memphis isn't ever mentioned.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'd add in that Memphis is a city that cares about basketball too. Easy drive for over half the conference. I'd say it's a better weekend getaway than Tulane/New Orleans. I'd take Beale over Bourbon any day of the week for nightlife.

Only advantage to Orlando is every city has direct flights there.

Bourbon street is for drunk tourists. The spot in New Orleans is Frenchmen Street.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Memphis apparently blew their hosting trial so badly that the schools do not want to go back.

Tulsa.

Wow. This just gets better every day, doesn't it?

It's sad. But if we're honest, Tulsa is nicer than Hartford. It's just not closer to us.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Pretty much every other city in this conference is a nice destination and outside of Philly and Cincy are at least warm when looking at the first week of March. Give Hartford a break and let another city take the heat for crap attendance.

Reaction Score
It should rotate between Nola, Memphis, and Orlando if the conference wants to attract attendees who live outside an hour radius.

Reaction Score
It should not be in Memphis. Went in 2014. I thought Memphis was overrated. City was dead

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Losing to ECU means you can't even make a Greenville joke this time around

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member