Update on Facey | The Boneyard

Update on Facey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-mens-basketball/hc-uconn-men-0806-20130805,0,7771020.story

Facey's path from Jamaica to Long Island Lutheran to UConn is being reviewed, and this is probably the more complicated of the two issues. He played three years at Long Island Lutheran, which might have cut into his college eligibility in the eyes of the NCAA. Before leaving Jamaica, Facey, a 19-year-old standout student, passed a standardized test that could be considered the equivalent graduating from high school and starting the clock on his eligibility.

Intersting stuff. So is the NCAA going to argue that Facey should have started college at age 16 since he passed some test in Jamaica?

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
This sounds like it's not a big deal to me... just minor NCAA oversight crap that they have to follow through on.

I'm not worried.

If for some reason he gets held out, I think the 'NCAA hates UConn' bandwagon will become more crowded

Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-mens-basketball/hc-uconn-men-0806-20130805,0,7771020.story

Facey's path from Jamaica to Long Island Lutheran to UConn is being reviewed, and this is probably the more complicated of the two issues. He played three years at Long Island Lutheran, which might have cut into his college eligibility in the eyes of the NCAA. Before leaving Jamaica, Facey, a 19-year-old standout student, passed a standardized test that could be considered the equivalent graduating from high school and starting the clock on his eligibility.

Intersting stuff. So is the NCAA going to argue that Facey should have started college at age 16 since he passed some test in Jamaica?

So, essentially, the NCAA wants him to be one and done? The NCAA is just a total mindduck sometimes all the time.

caw

Reaction Score
NCAA folks, they will be here all month, tip your waiters and waitresses.

Seriously, what does this mean? Lets say the NCAA goes with worst case scenario. I can't see based on that article how he would be ineligible as a freshman. Worst case he used three years of his college eligibility finishing American high school. It would be an absolute mockery of the system if the NCAA ruled that way, but even of they did, he should still have two years of eligibility remaining.

Reaction Score
This sounds like it's not a big deal to me... just minor NCAA oversight crap that they have to follow through on.

I'm not worried.

If for some reason he gets held out, I think the 'NCAA hates UConn' bandwagon will become more crowded

Because of the content of this post, I have to assume you have become a UConn fan only recently. Almost every situation that involves the NCAA clearinghouse has ended with UConn being completely F*#@d.

So, that is probably where this is headed.

Reaction Score
if Facey gets screwed over this UConn needs to be calling every media outlet imaginable, Real Sports, Outside The Lines, whoever. How could you even count the standardized test in Jamaica?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Could this be why Facey stalled in signing his letter of intent last fall? Did he know what was eventually going to happen?

pj

Reaction Score
Could this be why Facey stalled in signing his letter of intent last fall? Did he know what was eventually going to happen?

How could anyone think taking such a test would impair their college eligibility? If a US high school freshman were to take the GED exam for fun and pass it, would it mean he couldn't play high school sports? That would be absurd. It amounts to punishing a kid for being a good student. That's like saying taking an AP class in high school counts as college credit, therefore it consumes a year of college eligibility. What rational sense does it make?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
There isn't another poster alive that conduces more SMH-worthy reactions on a daily basis than you. WTF is on your mind sometimes?
Thanks.

I just think pessimistically because we have not had a good track record with the NCAA in the past and there is no sense in them just stopping their witch hunt because Ollie has things in the right direction.

caw

Reaction Score
How could anyone think taking such a test would impair their college eligibility? If a US high school freshman were to take the GED exam for fun and pass it, would it mean he couldn't play high school sports? That would be absurd. It amounts to punishing a kid for being a good student. That's like saying taking an AP class in high school counts as college credit, therefore it consumes a year of college eligibility. What rational sense does it make?

Basically he had three years of prep school.

Reaction Score
It's gdam August 5. If these idiots can't clear this up before day one of practice...

The NCAA clears kids who have no business playing college sports all the damn time. For once I want to see UConn stomp its feet a little and get this cleaned up ASAP.

cking Shabazz Muhammed got cleared to play at UCLA as a pro athlete - if Facey gets dinged and UConn takes it . . .

Reaction Score

Sooooooo....the NCAA is concerned that he's OVER QUALIFIED for a freshman?.....jeeeeez where does Ollie pick up these freshmen?!? What was he thinking offering Facey knowing full well he reads and writes at a college level.....

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
Thanks.

I just think pessimistically because we have not had a good track record with the NCAA in the past and there is no sense in them just stopping their witch hunt because Ollie has things in the right direction.

I am with you on feeling pessimistic about how the NCAA is going to rule on this but you can't possibly think Facey knew that passing whatever test he took in Jamaica now made him a US college student and had that thought in the back of his mind when submitting his LOI.

Reaction Score
I don't see how they rule him ineligible this year. But I also don't like the mention of him possibly losing eligibility on the back-end of his career. That's not insignificant.

caw

Reaction Score
I don't see how they rule him ineligible this year. But I also don't like the mention of him possibly losing eligibility on the back-end of his career. That's not insignificant.

I could, after some thought think of some ways they could rule him ineligible. For example: he's played 3 high school seasons and 2-3 AAU seasons. That's 5-6 seasons. Bam, eligibility exhausted. Or that Pro-Am game he played in. NCAA is insane.

Reaction Score
I should have brought the bottle of Evans to work and put it in my bottom drawer. Clean this up UConn!!!!

has to be a nerve-wracking experience for Kentan. I feel bad for the guy.

Reaction Score
It's pretty simple. If he went to Duke, he'd get an extra three seasons. Since he came here, he will lose 3 seasons.

Reaction Score
Penalizing a kid for an academic achievement? The NCAA never seizes to amaze me. Now that Facey has potentially used 3 years of eligibility based on passing an academic test, without ever playing a college game, he should be able to take 3 years worth of fake classes at UNC, while playing for the Tar Heels, to even things out. Then transfer to UConn to play basketball and go to school, simultaneously, for his senior year. I checked with the NCAA and this is ok, as long as he doesn't graduate early. In which case UConn will be banned from the next 14 postseasons.

Reaction Score
Maybe this woman can help.

New UConn Associate AD Angie Cretors had a number of positions at the NCAA, most recently serving as Associate Director of Enforcement since 2011. In that role, she developed and investigated violations of NCAA legislation in men’s basketball, working with a number of constituents in the sport. Cretors developed and presented seminars around the country regarding basketball issues and trends for audiences such as institutional compliance officers, coaches and student-athletes.

Reaction Score
Let's not get all worked up over this just yet. I bet it won't hurt his eligibility at all. No need to play the role of the victim.

C

Chief00

The problem is Angie Cretors was part of the crazy NCAA problem. Their mindset is in an alternate universe. This is absurb!

Reaction Score
he can likely work towards a graduate degree and have three years. assuming he can graduate in two years. :mad:

this is the dumbest thing ever

Reactions: pj

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It's pretty simple. If he went to Duke, he'd get an extra three seasons. Since he came here, he will lose 3 seasons.

Bingo. If he chose a school with most favored nation status in the eyes of the NCAA, this would be nothing more tahn a PSA on how these schools really do care about the student athlete. He chose UConn so he'll be put under a microscope until they are done fvkkng with him (and us).

Reaction Score
The NCAA is set up, in part, to protect the "student athletes" and make sure by ATTENDING college that they're put in the best position to succeed in the future. If this were to end the way it potentially could; revoking 3 years of eligibility from an athlete with Facey's potential could ruin his career. It's HIGHLY unlikely that he would stay in school (without an athletic scholarship) just to graduate. He's going to leave the school and the country to play overseas professionally where he'll receive far less quality coaching and that's where the road will end. Without a degree to fall back on after.....we know how the story goes from there... The NCAA boggles my mind!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom