Up next: Cal Berkeley

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Saturday 3:00 pm est.
TV - Pac 12 Network
Radio - ESPN 97.9

Preview -

"The unanimous number one team in the nation each of the last three weeks, UConn heads to Berkeley after a thrilling come-from-behind win at Oklahoma on Wednesday night. Trailing by 12 in the third quarter, the Huskies clawed back and closed the game on a 13-1 run to remain perfect on the season.

"For the first time in program history, the Cal women's basketball team will take on the No. 1 team in the nation on the Bears' home court." The UConn Circus has come to town. "The 14th-ranked Golden Bears will square off against top-ranked Connecticut on Saturday at 12 p.m. PT at Haas Pavilion. Cal (9-0, 0-0 Pac-12) and UConn (10-0, 0-0 AAC) are two of only 12 undefeated teams remaining in women's Division I basketball this season and will be meeting for the second consecutive year. The Bears and Huskies met in Storrs, Connecticut last November in the start of a four-year home-and-home series.

"We've played our way into this being a very important game," said Cal head coach Lindsay Gottlieb. "I think we're deserving of the big crowd that's going to be at [Haas Pavilion] as we play the number one team in the country and I think everything we've done all year is so that we're ready to challenge ourselves."

Battle Of The Unbeatens

"Off to a 9-0 start, the Bears will be looking to pull of the biggest upset in program history. Cal is 0-4 all-time against AP No. 1 opponents, with the last three such meetings coming against UConn. The Golden Bears last home win over an AP Top-5 opponent came on November 21, 2008, when the Bears knocked off No. 3 Rutgers. 66-52. Last season, the Bears finished with a 21-11 overall record and an 11-7 Pac-12 record while only losing three games at home. The Bears were unsuccessful in competing in new environments, however, with just an 8-6 road record to their name.

Along with a pair of unbeaten teams, Saturday's Top-15 clash also features some of the top players in the game, with four of the 35 players on the 2019 Wade Trophy Watch List slated to take the court on Saturday in Cal's Kristine Anigwe and UConn's Napheesa Collier, Crystal Dangerfield, and Katie Lou Samuelson.

Anigwe is off to a dominant start in her senior season and is the only player in Division I basketball with a double-double in every game this year. The 6'4" center/forward is second in the nation in rebounding (13.7 rebounds per game) and fifth in scoring (23.6 points per game), and is coming off an 18-point, 16-rebound performance in 21 minutes of action Sunday against UC Santa Barbara. Anigwe's double-double led the Bears in a balanced effort on both ends of the floor against the Gauchos, as Cal won 69-45. Ten different players scored for the Bears, who also received a season-high 30 points of production from the bench. With the win over the Gauchos, the Bears extended their home winning streak to six in a row, dating back to February 2018.

The past three games against No. 1 teams have all been versus UConn, the most recent being a 47-82 defeat last season in Connecticut. The past is the past, and the present Cal team can only look to the future, where it’ll look to continue its perfect season against the Huskies".

I would not look past Cal Saturday. They are currently ranked #14/13 in the AP/Coaches polls. Even though UConn will be the first top 25 team they'll play this year, they're playing well right now, and are looking to knock off a ranked opponent. Especially a top 5 opponent.

Be sure to check out UConnCat's post below for a link to a local TV news station's piece on Saturday's game. It features on camera clips of head coach Gottlieb and Kristine Anigwe.
Thanks Cat. :)

Roster

Cal's 2018-2019 Schedule

Article from The Day - 12/21/18

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
TV - Pac 12 Network
Radio - ESPN 97.9

Preview -

The unanimous number one team in the nation each of the last three weeks, UConn heads to Berkeley after a thrilling come-from-behind win at Oklahoma on Wednesday night. Trailing by 12 in the third quarter, the Huskies clawed back and closed the game on a 13-1 run to remain perfect on the season. Collier had 23 points and a career-high 17 rebounds in the win, while Samuelson added 20 points and 11 rebounds for a double-double of her own.

For the first time in program history, the Cal women's basketball team will take on the No. 1 team in the nation on the Bears' home court. The 14th-ranked Golden Bears will square off against top-ranked Connecticut on Saturday at 12 p.m. PT at Haas Pavilion. Cal (9-0, 0-0 Pac-12) and UConn (10-0, 0-0 AAC) are two of only 12 undefeated teams remaining in women's Division I basketball this season and will be meeting for the second consecutive year. The Bears and Huskies met in Storrs, Connecticut last November in the start of a four-year home-and-home series.

"We've played our way into this being a very important game," said Cal head coach Lindsay Gottlieb. "I think we're deserving of the big crowd that's going to be at [Haas Pavilion] as we play the number one team in the country and I think everything we've done all year is so that we're ready to challenge ourselves."

Off to a 9-0 start, the Bears will be looking to pull of the biggest upset in program history. Cal is 0-4 all-time against AP No. 1 opponents, with the last three such meetings coming against UConn. The Golden Bears last home win over an AP Top-5 opponent came on November 21, 2008, when the Bears knocked off No. 3 Rutgers. 66-52.

Along with a pair of unbeaten teams, Saturday's Top-15 clash also features some of the top players in the game, with four of the 35 players on the 2019 Wade Trophy Watch List slated to take the court on Saturday in Cal's Kristine Anigwe and UConn's Napheesa Collier, Crystal Dangerfield, and Katie Lou Samuelson.

Anigwe is off to a dominant start in her senior season and is the only player in Division I basketball with a double-double in every game this year. The 6'4" center/forward is second in the nation in rebounding (13.7 rebounds per game) and fifth in scoring (23.6 points per game), and is coming off an 18-point, 16-rebound performance in 21 minutes of action Sunday against UC Santa Barbara. Anigwe's double-double led the Bears in a balanced effort on both ends of the floor against the Gauchos, as Cal won 69-45. Ten different players scored for the Bears, who also received a season-high 30 points of production from the bench. With the win over the Gauchos, the Bears extended their home winning streak to six in a row, dating back to February 2018.

Last season, the Bears finished with a 21-11 overall record and an 11-7 Pac-12 record while only losing three games at home. The Bears were unsuccessful in competing in new environments, however, with just an 8-6 road record to their name.

Last season, Cal averaged a respectable 69.0 points per game while surrendering 65.9 per contest on the flip side. Gottlieb will likely run a fast, small-ball offense with four shooters next to Anigwe, which is bound to either create space for Anigwe in the post or provide open shots for Cal’s perimeter threats, accentuated by Thomas, Caldwell and Forbes.

The players should have plenty of time to adjust to their new roles, with the aim of peaking in February and March. If Gottlieb can manage the frontcourt and space out the playing time of her backcourt, Cal can create the spirit of 2013 all over again for a deep run in March.

The past three games against No. 1 teams have all been versus UConn, the most recent being a 47-82 defeat last season in Connecticut. The past is the past, and the present Cal team can only look to the future, where it’ll look to continue its perfect season against the Huskies.

Roster

Cal's 2018-2019 Schedule

Scoop, are you quoting some else's article? If so, it's best to put the whole thing in quotation marks or in italics. Tells the reader whose thought these are. Very interesting; thanks.

Reaction Score
How can we watch the Cal game in the Long Island area?

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Whoa! “Showdown at high noon in Berkeley
Surely scheduled early to facilitate our players' well-deserved trip to their homes. Happy that I'm home already.
1545340043521.png

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Holy hype.

Clearly made before the OU game. Otherwise, the interview would have integrated elements of the near upset.

Kerr and Geno should be fun. Geno will be on offense but Kerr is a good low key counter puncher.

Reaction Score
TV - Pac 12 Network
Radio - ESPN 97.9

Preview -

"The unanimous number one team in the nation each of the last three weeks, UConn heads to Berkeley after a thrilling come-from-behind win at Oklahoma on Wednesday night. Trailing by 12 in the third quarter, the Huskies clawed back and closed the game on a 13-1 run to remain perfect on the season.

For the first time in program history, the Cal women's basketball team will take on the No. 1 team in the nation on the Bears' home court. The 14th-ranked Golden Bears will square off against top-ranked Connecticut on Saturday at 12 p.m. PT at Haas Pavilion. Cal (9-0, 0-0 Pac-12) and UConn (10-0, 0-0 AAC) are two of only 12 undefeated teams remaining in women's Division I basketball this season and will be meeting for the second consecutive year. The Bears and Huskies met in Storrs, Connecticut last November in the start of a four-year home-and-home series.

Battle Of The Unbeatens

"Off to a 9-0 start, the Bears will be looking to pull of the biggest upset in program history. Cal is 0-4 all-time against AP No. 1 opponents, with the last three such meetings coming against UConn. The Golden Bears last home win over an AP Top-5 opponent came on November 21, 2008, when the Bears knocked off No. 3 Rutgers. 66-52. Last season, the Bears finished with a 21-11 overall record and an 11-7 Pac-12 record while only losing three games at home. The Bears were unsuccessful in competing in new environments, however, with just an 8-6 road record to their name.

The past three games against No. 1 teams have all been versus UConn, the most recent being a 47-82 defeat last season in Connecticut. The past is the past, and the present Cal team can only look to the future, where it’ll look to continue its perfect season against the Huskies".

I would not look past Cal Saturday. They are currently ranked #14/13 in the AP/Coaches polls. Even though UConn will be the first top 25 team they'll play this year, they're playing well right now, and are looking to knock off a ranked opponent. Especially a top 5 opponent.

Be sure to check out UConnCat's post below for a link to a local TV news station's piece on Saturday's game. It features statements from head coach Gottlieb and Kristine Anigwe.
Thanks Cat. :)

Roster

Cal's 2018-2019 Schedule
Auriemma won't be looking past Cal but a lot of BY prognosticators are. Although the pre- Oklahoma guesses were in the 25-30 pt range, today's have moderated into the 15 pt range.

Reaction Score
I bought tickets for this game several months ago. Reserved seats, not courtside, for $32 which normally go for $12. Have gotten an email from the Cal athletic office every day for a week (7 Days til Uconn, 6 Days til Uconn, etc) The circus is definitely in town.
Last season went to the games at UCLA and Nevada Reno, and they had their largest ever crowds for WBB.
Saturday should be fun

Reaction Score
Just a moment ago, I watched a few minutes of the Arizona State-Fresno State wbb game on the Pac12 now app on my cell phone. I hope our game can be accessed on this app. We’ll know at game time.
I too added the Pac12 Now App on my cell... and looked at the upcoming games, and it shows UCONN vs CAL at 3pm east coast time. Unfortunately, when I tried to watch a game being played now (OSU and Duke I believe), I was not able to sign in through Xfinity because it's not available there. I chose to not go further for fear of adding a new monthly fee to an already high Xfinity bill ... and for only this one game.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I too added the Pac12 Now App on my cell... and looked at the upcoming games, and it shows UCONN vs CAL at 3pm east coast time. Unfortunately, when I tried to watch a game being played now (OSU and Duke I believe), I was not able to sign in through Xfinity because it's not available there. I chose to not go further for fear of adding a new monthly fee to an already high Xfinity bill ... and for only this one game.

:( It looks like we'll be watching the replay. I'll listen to the game live on ESPN 97.9
This is the only game the remainder of the season we're going to have this problem with. :cool:

Reaction Score
In case you wanted to learn more about Cal, here's an interview I did with starting senior guard Asha Thomas:

BearShare: Asha Thomas

By the way, Geno was at the "Chat with Champions" event tonight at Cal, and he was at his charming, sardonic best, playing well off fellow guest Steve Kerr of the Golden State Warriors.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
More info on "Chat of Champions"

Kerr, Auriemma trade insights and quips at Cal fundraiser

My personal favorites

Geno:

"Success has to be redefined. You have to look at it like, 'I'm doing everything I can to put my team in the best position to win and whatever happens after that, I've got to live with it.' In the back of my mind, I'm really thinking, 'What, you are going to criticize me? I have 11 national championships.'"

"Are we bad for women's basketball? Only if you don't intend to get better. Appreciate us for who we are and what we do and how we do it and try to be like us. At some point, you are going to get tired of losing to us."

Kerr:

Asked to give each other coaching advice, Kerr had words of wisdom for Auriemma should he ever want to pursue a head coaching position in the NBA.

"Know the job you are taking," Kerr said. "Make sure it's great ownership, a GM you can work with and good players." (After Kerr narrowly dodged the Knick's job. If he hadn't, he would have plenty of time to do interviews like 'what went wrong' from the unemployment line)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Psyched to learn Geno shares my admiration for my all-time favorite, Walt Frazier! Clyde could pick anyone's pocket!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom