Up and Coming | The Boneyard

Up and Coming

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Is Big Mak. She is trying to create as we have seen in the past few games. We need that from our 5th starter. I have said it many times we need somebody other then our core 4 to light it up and from what Ive seen Mak is making progress. Why do we need her as a scoring threat? Because in the big games coming up opposing defenses can slack off her and even though Mak and Irwin can hit the treys they may need to create off the dribble as I expect opposing defenses to double down on key players leaving our 5th starter open. Griff does not have as good of an outside shot as Mak and Irwin .

With that said our core 4 can score alot of points. Most teams can not match the talent of our core 4. They cant score like them and they will have problems defending them.

Last night we saw some sloppyness and we saw some great plays. We saw some droughts scoreing. We need someone to recognize that and take charge whether its setting screens to get players open or its just running plays to get players to score. Still we're scoreing alot of points and many in bunches.

Remember this when we play Baylor SC Oregon Tenn. They have to keep UConn from scoring alot of points and they have to score alot of points against UConn. That is not an easy task. Why? UConn has better more talented players and are better coached. Its tuff to beat someone better then you when they are surrounded by players better then the players you have on your team. No disrespect but UConn has 4 top HS players who put up alot of points and most teams can not match up with.

So up and coming I see Mak and Griff becoming better scorers. Mak from the outside and attacking the basket and Griff driving and rebounding misses. They will draw fouls because of they way they play the game. They will be open more in big games as opponents double down on ONO and Walker. Both need more experience in games and they will get it coming up. We can talk about the 1 game in the last 16 days and the rust but we travel to SMU for a Sunday game. On Sunday we can not see rust with Baylor coming up on Thursday. We must see solid execution and we must see more from everybody other then our core 4. IMO that is the improvement we need to see. I expect us to beat Baylor by double digets. Some might think I crazy for saying that and it wont be the first time that fans think Im crazy with my predictions. LOL Why I say that is because the pressure will be on and great players rise up when the pressure of a big game is at a high leve and they are more focused in games like this. They want the ball.

Alot of fans early on didnt expect UConn to be in this position at this point in the season. Well we are and we are better then advertisied. We dont look like UConn teams of the past and imo thats because we had invincible teams built around a nucleaus of experienced players. Still we are a very very good team and a very tuff out because of our level of talent. The key remains ONO staying out of foul trouble. She has looked much improved. Last night I saw Geno experimenting with players in and out of the lineup. I want to see more from players not named CD and MW. I want to see the attitude give me the ball when its crunch time and I will score.

With Baylor coming up the focus will me at a very high level. Our weakness's will be exposed as will Baylors. Thats a good thing as it will show us where we need to improve. UConn 74 Baylor 61

Reaction Score
What Tony said! Only shorter. I am just as hopeful as you that Kyla and Mak will continue to shine on the court and make big points. From what you say, they should be ignored by the other teams in order to go after Liv, Meg, Chrystal, and CW.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Maybe someone can help me with the right words. When I watch Anna I get the same feeling I got when I watched Napheesa as a freshman. There is something special about her. I can see it but I don't know how to describe it. I believe, barring an injury, if she plays at least three years she will become one of UConn's all time greats. Maybe I am wrong but there seems to be something special there.

Reaction Score
Is Big Mak. She is trying to create as we have seen in the past few games. We need that from our 5th starter. I have said it many times we need somebody other then our core 4 to light it up and from what Ive seen Mak is making progress. Why do we need her as a scoring threat? Because in the big games coming up opposing defenses can slack off her and even though Mak and Irwin can hit the treys they may need to create off the dribble as I expect opposing defenses to double down on key players leaving our 5th starter open. Griff does not have as good of an outside shot as Mak and Irwin .

With that said our core 4 can score alot of points. Most teams can not match the talent of our core 4. They cant score like them and they will have problems defending them.

Last night we saw some sloppyness and we saw some great plays. We saw some droughts scoreing. We need someone to recognize that and take charge whether its setting screens to get players open or its just running plays to get players to score. Still we're scoreing alot of points and many in bunches.

Remember this when we play Baylor SC Oregon Tenn. They have to keep UConn from scoring alot of points and they have to score alot of points against UConn. That is not an easy task. Why? UConn has better more talented players and are better coached. Its tuff to beat someone better then you when they are surrounded by players better then the players you have on your team. No disrespect but UConn has 4 top HS players who put up alot of points and most teams can not match up with.

So up and coming I see Mak and Griff becoming better scorers. Mak from the outside and attacking the basket and Griff driving and rebounding misses. They will draw fouls because of they way they play the game. They will be open more in big games as opponents double down on ONO and Walker. Both need more experience in games and they will get it coming up. We can talk about the 1 game in the last 16 days and the rust but we travel to SMU for a Sunday game. On Sunday we can not see rust with Baylor coming up on Thursday. We must see solid execution and we must see more from everybody other then our core 4. IMO that is the improvement we need to see. I expect us to beat Baylor by double digets. Some might think I crazy for saying that and it wont be the first time that fans think Im crazy with my predictions. LOL Why I say that is because the pressure will be on and great players rise up when the pressure of a big game is at a high leve and they are more focused in games like this. They want the ball.

Alot of fans early on didnt expect UConn to be in this position at this point in the season. Well we are and we are better then advertisied. We dont look like UConn teams of the past and imo thats because we had invincible teams built around a nucleaus of experienced players. Still we are a very very good team and a very tuff out because of our level of talent. The key remains ONO staying out of foul trouble. She has looked much improved. Last night I saw Geno experimenting with players in and out of the lineup. I want to see more from players not named CD and MW. I want to see the attitude give me the ball when its crunch time and I will score.

With Baylor coming up the focus will me at a very high level. Our weakness's will be exposed as will Baylors. Thats a good thing as it will show us where we need to improve. UConn 74 Baylor 61
i agree Mak (Ania) and Aubrey (Griffin) need to be all they can be and not rely on the Core 4. But you forget that Aubrey had 2 great game scoring over 20 in one and over 15 in another. Then too in the W.St game Ania made a couple or 3 lays ups and a put back while rebounding well, not great but well.
If Uconn is to beat Baylor with bigs and one or 2 that drill the 3 we must keep in mind Baylor can play WCBB too. They defend, maybe not Genos defense, they score, maybe not from 5 positions but well. The singular issue in any game against those you mention is: Allowing ANY team to get a 10 or 12 point lead in the first quarter and certainly to not allow themselves to back off on defense or scoring, as they have: I call them lapses. The key---while true ONO can't foul out but @Tonyc which one or 2 of the starting 5 can Uconn afford to have foul out???? No ONE. Fouls and injuries have been the bane of Uconn for the past 4 years or so and it won't change until next year. (hopefully) Teams play Uconn to get them in foul trouble---if you can't beat them with Talent let them beat themselves by making fouls. When Uconn has 2 on the bench with fouls of the starting 7 who do they go to???

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Maybe someone can help me with the right words. When I watch Anna I get the same feeling I got when I watched Napheesa as a freshman. There is something special about her. I can see it but I don't know how to describe it. I believe, barring an injury, if she plays at least three years she will become one of UConn's all time greats. Maybe I am wrong but there seems to be something special there.

The thing I see is that she very frequently seems to be in the right place. Whether it's boxing out for a rebound, sliding around or switching after a pick, cutting into open space after a pass, sliding with the ball handler...all of which I credit with an extraordinary court vision, a high BB IQ, and a great deal of physical strength. She has the most assists per minute , the second best A/TO ratio and the 4th best steals per minute of anyone in the regular rotation. This is pretty outstanding for a freshman considering how lost she looked for much of the first few games.

I really have occasionally thought "that was a Taurasi pass" about her play lately.

Reaction Score
I believe there is a significant improvement between Ana's first few games and her recent ones. She is moving much better and her movements have purpose. And, more importantly (especially to Geno and Cris) her defense has gone from a three or four to a seven or eight out of ten.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think Anna is plenty fast enough (and quick enough) to guard Erin Boley when UConn plays Oregon in February. As I have stated previously, and despite how they looked against Colorado, no one in the Ducks' starting lineup except Minyon Moore can be described as quick or fast. Maybe Sabally is fairy quick for a post player, but no more so than Olivia. If Olivia can stay out of foul trouble (and she is getting better at that every game), then I think she can play Sabally at least evenly. If Anna and Boley also neutralize each other, then the game will be decided at the other three positions, where (as with Baylor last year) it will be a contest of destroyers (UConn) against battleships (Oregon).

I think the two teams will be very evenly matched. If UConn proves next week to be either much better or much worse than Baylor, my opinion about that may change.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
So, will one of our freshman have a Dangerfield moment?

Thanks for that trip down memory lane. I fondly remember that game. I would love for several of our players to have a game like Crystal did that day, along with the same outcome.

Reaction Score
I think it is totally possible. I think Big Mak can pull Smith out and hit 3s and then Aubrey could blow by Smith for lay ups.

Reaction Score
i Don't know if I thought there was anything special about Napheesa, except the name, but late in her Soph year the Napheesa we would see as a Jr and Sr shown through.
However, I agree that something special shows with Ania and also Aubrey. Our issue is when we see a Frosh and remember a Senior the Frosh loses by comparison until they are Seniors. Ania is a player in motion. An excellent passer, almost uncanny for a Frosh, She attacks the basket and when in the flow of the game will take and make a 3. She needs to shoot that more.

Reaction Score
I would love to see Baylor lag off Anna and then see her drill 3s for a 20+ pt game....Baylor will have to give on something and I hope Anna is ready to make them pay....
She is capable of making 20 and beyond. She, like frosh, holds back. When she feels comfortable she'll go off on some team (Baylor would be nice) and then the spell is broken.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom