Unthinkable turnaround in the game and for the program. | The Boneyard

Unthinkable turnaround in the game and for the program.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
You're right. The pattern over the last few seasons, especially before last year, was slow starts, hung heads, and then sometimes a second wind where we eventually run out of gas and fall short- or we just plain get blown out. The resiliency and toughness of this team, a team that learned how to compete and is now learning how to win, is impressive. Hurley is the right coach; he is a strategist, a motivator, and a caring guy who may come across as a little wacky on the sidelines, but who obviously cares deeply for his players and appreciates the University and fan base. Oh, and the wacky part is actually entertaining for UConn fans, but drives opposing fans crazy. Just take a look at some of the fan forums out there. :-D

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Hurley absolutely is a strategist. Bouknight was too quick for them to defend and once Hurley realized this we were just driving to the basket. Also think that they are much better three shooting team. We didn't try to keep up with them in that regard and continued to play our game. Lots less frustrating threes have been taken. The team has really matured they must have heard me yelling at the tv.

Reaction Score
This team has faced so much adversity throughout the year. Bouknight suspension, AG’s issues, Sid being injured/suspended, lost two starters to devastating injuries and several tight losses to very good teams. Despite all of that, here we are in March. The team is playing their best basketball with only 8 players, and has a chance to make some noise in March. Dan is the perfect man for this job. Hats off to him. UConn basketball is back.

Reaction Score
Had my doubts about DH through the 1st half of this season, especially with all the close losses which could have demoralized the team, but have to give him his due. He's done more with less the last 10-12 games or so - most players have been stepping up since the injuries kicked in. CV and AG look the way seniors should look now. Bouk is unreal. The way things were going I was expecting a repeat of the last 2-3 years, but now I'd be disappointed if we don't at least get an NIT bid.

Reaction Score
Up 11 early, lost the lead, down three possessions at halftime, came back to win. Unthinkable in the last few years. This is a new team. Thanks, Dan Hurley!
But I read on the Boneyard that Hurley didn't know how to rotate his players. Maybe he has so few available bodies the can't rotate anyone. Maybe it's all just coincidence.

Reaction Score
The lineup Hurley started the year with was unworkable and the changes (including two freshman guards getting much improved by playing and getting healthy and getting coached up) in the lineup completely changed how team plays.

I was really down on early AG CV play into beginning of AAC play. Now looking back see they were in no win situation. Carlton can't catch, pass, dribble, finish around rim, shoot fouls or hedge and recover on defense. Akok can't catch ball, pass to him he gives it right back to you, plays lot of minutes with few shots and few points. Polley stationary on offense, if he catches is threat to shoot, nothing else.

That leaves an undersized AG with no one cutting or to pass to (who can catch and/or do anything other than pass it back), bigs on opponents defense crowding lane with Carlton and Akok not good cutters or catchers. His only option CV. CV gets ball and who does he pass to? Give it back to AG or try to do something himself.

Fast forward to JB a real threat to drive or shoot, my boy IW who can catch, finish and pass and hedges well on defense, combo of Adams and Gaffney who are threats with ball to drive or shoot and can catch and pass. This has greatly helped both AG and CV be the players of late that thought they would be earlier.

Reaction Score
The lineup Hurley started the year with was unworkable and the changes (including two freshman guards getting much improved by playing and getting healthy and getting coached up) in the lineup completely changed how team plays.

I was really down on early AG CV play into beginning of AAC play. Now looking back see they were in no win situation. Carlton can't catch, pass, dribble, finish around rim, shoot fouls or hedge and recover on defense. Akok can't catch ball, pass to him he gives it right back to you, plays lot of minutes with few shots and few points. Polley stationary on offense, if he catches is threat to shoot, nothing else.

That leaves an undersized AG with no one cutting or to pass to (who can catch and/or do anything other than pass it back), bigs on opponents defense crowding lane with Carlton and Akok not good cutters or catchers. His only option CV. CV gets ball and who does he pass to? Give it back to AG or try to do something himself.

Fast forward to JB a real threat to drive or shoot, my boy IW who can catch, finish and pass and hedges well on defense, combo of Adams and Gaffney who are threats with ball to drive or shoot and can catch and pass. This has greatly helped both AG and CV be the players of late that thought they would be earlier.

Well though out!!!

Pretty much the way the changes went and the time it took to get this team in the right rotation leading to more success or at least a positive feel.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This team is fun to watch and is clicking in many areas - it is truly exciting
Have to laugh at all those people who absolutely killed AG and CV and questioned their ability to even be on the court are now waking up to the fact that it wasn't their skill level but what DH had out there on the floor as far as rotations and schemes. Many of us kept alluding to this but most blamed the seniors.
A few injuries created an unplanned need to tweak the line-up and bingo - those who were held back blossomed (Bouk and Pork Chop).
Husky68 - you were killing AG and CV early (as you stated) but wouldn't listen to what some of us were saying - Polley was a statue, Akok an offensive liability, Carlton would not look for his openings and strengths, all 3 of these guys did not want the ball as the clock wound down - that left AG and CV with limited options -
I am far from happy that both Polley and Akok went down with injuries BUT may be a blessing in disguise. It gave us the real Pork Chop, opened up Bouk, gave BA and Gaff more PT and I am sure both Polley and Akok are seeing now what they have to do when they come back to fit in better and what to improve skill wise.
I am excited for the future but want both AG's and CV's careers at UConn to continue with this team beyond the AAC tournament.

Reaction Score

Great breakdown.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Up 11 early, lost the lead, down three possessions at halftime, came back to win. Unthinkable in the last few years. This is a new team. Thanks, Dan Hurley!
You have no idea how hard they worked on that 4-pt play in practice. It finally paid off.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
You're right. The pattern over the last few seasons, especially before last year, was slow starts, hung heads, and then sometimes a second wind where we eventually run out of gas and fall short- or we just plain get blown out. The resiliency and toughness of this team, a team that learned how to compete and is now learning how to win, is impressive. Hurley is the right coach; he is a strategist, a motivator, and a caring guy who may come across as a little wacky on the sidelines, but who obviously cares deeply for his players and appreciates the University and fan base. Oh, and the wacky part is actually entertaining for UConn fans, but drives opposing fans crazy. Just take a look at some of the fan forums out there. :-D
Do you remember JC on the sidelines?

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Well though out!!!

Pretty much the way the changes went and the time it took to get this team in the right rotation leading to more success or at least a positive feel.
I would only add a mention of defense

Reaction Score
Noticed in pregame how T MOORE stood by JB during stretching filling his head with all kinds of good things. Way to coach our players up TM.
The same can be said for all of our assistant coaches. They are special. Way to use your staff DH. Great staff

Reaction Score
Noticed in pregame how T MOORE stood by JB during stretching filling his head with all kinds of good things. Way to coach our players up TM.
The same can be said for all of our assistant coaches. They are special. Way to use your staff DH. Great staff
GREAT staff.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom