Unpopular opinion | The Boneyard

Unpopular opinion

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The best basketball coach employed within the State of Rhode Island isn’t Dan Hurley.

You want to know where we are as a program? Think he’d come?

Reaction Score
The best basketball coach employed within the State of Rhode Island isn’t Dan Hurley.

Are you referring to Ed Cooley?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Not enough hair I think.

Reaction Score
All opinions as to the quality of Ed Cooley as a basketball coach aside, I was riveted to the screen during the Providence-Xavier game. The atmosphere was unbelievable. Shot-making, big-time defensive plays, players being clutch. The building seemed Electric. Then, at the end of the game, I switched over to the American Tournament...Wichita State and Temple. Yawn.

I know there are significant reasons why UConn will never go back to the Big East, but boy, do I miss those tournaments. Boy, do I miss games that matter.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Villanova vs. Providence tomorrow will be electric if it happens. Hard to see PC winning it. Cooley just has an infectious personality. He was in New London the other night recruiting.

NL have a decent team this year? I lived out there when Dunn was a senior and I think they went undefeated.

Reaction Score
I'm hopeful our list is longer than Hurley. There just seems like there should be someone....better?

No team chokes in excruciating fashion in March than Xavier. They were tight and nervous the entire 2nd half and OT. That's a team that goes home early next week. Their coach drinking a water bottle and pacing nervously as his team misses layup after layup. Whoever is in their bracket will have struck gold.

Reaction Score
NL have a decent team this year? I lived out there when Dunn was a senior and I think they went undefeated.
NPBC @ CT College. I was there. :) Some of you probably were also. Cooley was there. You can't miss him.

Reaction Score
All opinions as to the quality of Ed Cooley as a basketball coach aside, I was riveted to the screen during the Providence-Xavier game. The atmosphere was unbelievable. Shot-making, big-time defensive plays, players being clutch. The building seemed Electric. Then, at the end of the game, I switched over to the American Tournament...Wichita State and Temple. Yawn.

I know there are significant reasons why UConn will never go back to the Big East, but boy, do I miss those tournaments. Boy, do I miss games that matter.

I'm sorry but did you watch Temple vs Wichita State? It was far from "yawn." It was back and forth all night with a lot of high shot making ability displayed by both teams. It was a very entertaining game.

Reaction Score
I'm hopeful our list is longer than Hurley. There just seems like there should be someone....better?

No team chokes in excruciating fashion in March than Xavier. They were tight and nervous the entire 2nd half and OT. That's a team that goes home early next week. Their coach drinking a water bottle and pacing nervously as his team misses layup after layup. Whoever is in their bracket will have struck gold.

Wow...you don't like Chris M. ?

Man you are a tough cookie.

Reaction Score
Wow...you don't like Chris M. ?

Man you are a tough cookie.

Maybe in the regular season. Too many opponents snatching victory from the jaws of defeat against him in the postseason for my liking.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry but did you watch Temple vs Wichita State? It was far from "yawn." It was back and forth all night with a lot of high shot making ability displayed by both teams. It was a very entertaining game.

No comparison between the two games. Atmosphere in the AAC game wasn't even close. Madison Square Garden was Electric.

Reaction Score
The Big East has won every round in the branding and marketing war against the AAC 10-8. It's never going to be the Big Ten or the ACC because the numbers aren't there, but the way they have controlled the narrative has to go on your PR Mount Rushmore. Not only is it a quality league, but the perception of the conference in terms of integrity was also enhanced big time with the removals of UConn, Pitt, Louisville, Cuse, Cincy, West Virginia, etc. There is no lingering stain of scandal or paranoia that things are being done "the wrong way." Perhaps most importantly, guys are staying four years. I'm not saying they won't gladly take one and dones...but coaches are clearly making a concerted effort to recruit players who intend to graduate.

I would not be surprised to find that the profile of your average Big East recruit is noticeably different from a socioeconomic standpoint than it is for players from other leagues. With the small, private, Catholic Universities, there seems to be a level of prestige associated with the institutions that breeds more stability. Whether this is a sham or a valid marketing strategy, it has worked big time. Villanova is like Duke lite right now and tonight Providence fans sounded like the old us - it's not ideal to have Xavier and Butler playing on Friday night, but at least they made the best of a bad situation. It basically is what we thought it would be which is the Big East half as good as it used to be...and somehow that's still better than all of these other conference tournaments.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score

Cooley took over a much more prestigious program, gets better recruits and has the exact same number of NCAA tourney wins. Barring a second weekend performance, this current team will have underachieved.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom