UNLV as 14th member | The Boneyard

UNLV as 14th member

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
No. A million times no.

For a minute there, I thought it was HuskyfanDan that started the thread! ;) Sorry, PeterSanDiego. This isn't the "Boneyard Welcome" that people should normally expect, but it just happens to be a topic that we've hashed over for the last 4 months....with extremely little fanfare for the Runnin' Rebs.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If it comes with a Las Vegas Bowl tie-in, I'd prefer Nevada.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Not much value from what I can see. Sports are poor, academics are poor, and just not my idea of the best available option out there. I think our energies should be focused on Air Force, BYU, or somewhere in between. I agree with Subbabub, UNLV is probably not even the top choice in the State of Nevada.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I agree. It is BYU and AirForce. Everyone else in the west that can be had by the Big East is a distant third. I'm not even sure if I would want Nevada as my third choice. Maybe Fresno State, but that is a very big maybe.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
This will be more a move to get a big time bowl game or other event held in Las Vegas than it will be for the better of UNLV. On top of that, I see UNLV making a play for a bigger western conference (Pac-12), if they even care, more than trying to get into the Big East.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
BYU would be the only other school I want to see in the Big East. They bring 6 million eyes and their own network. Plus they have a pretty good history of winning.

Reaction Score
Not that most Connecticut students, alumni, and officials and even many other Huskies' fans truly want much association with the newest BE joiners any longer than necessary, it's unfortunately inescapable for short term gridiron prospects. Cincinnati, Louisville, and USF for a Sunshine State recruiting opportunity was bad enough company, but unavoidable thanks to BCUs and scUM ethically vacuous undermining of the BE. Yup, it was all about football and conference survival yet could we have skipped DePaul and dumped PC and Seton Hall.? Nope, then external forces propelled the bar further to take on more suspect cases in Temple, SDSU (and, a few too many of their hoops fans of 2 years ago), Houston, and, glorified community colleges, Boise and Memphis.

Now, some people actually ponder digesting Nevada Reno (at least better than UNLV), the indigestible UNLV, and, wowzers, Fresno State. Sure, it's all about football and olfactory overlook the stink to accept the unavoidable, but, in the category of the company you keep, at least SMU, even UCF, BYU, and, the ever truly admirable, USAFA Zoomies, bring comparable academic cachet.

Can we still take USAFA, BYU, and dump the likes of Memphis, Temple, or a few of those schools? Whoa Nellie, Fresno State, blecch! (Yes, were stuck for now and I regrettably jest). ;)

Reaction Score
I think UNLV would make sense. I'm obviously in the minority though. I also think that Boise and SDSU should be full members along with UNLV. UNLV and SDSU would make BE hoops relevant on the West Coast which would be a pretty big deal.

Reaction Score
what's funny is that when i was in high school i think UNLV would have been considered a much higher caliber athletic program that ours. they were certainly a much bigger overall national brand. now the idea of playing them makes us retch. we should all be proud of the progress we've made over the last 20 years

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
what's funny is that when i was in high school i think UNLV would have been considered a much higher caliber athletic program that ours. they were certainly a much bigger overall national brand. now the idea of playing them makes us retch. we should all be proud of the progress we've made over the last 20 years

What's not funny is that others see us as the same as you saw UNLV. On probation, sanctioned coach, recent title.

Reaction Score
What's not funny is that others see us as the same as you saw UNLV. On probation, sanctioned coach, recent title.

And 20 years from now a lesser national brand. Need to battle on every front to avoid this type of erosion.

Reaction Score
UNLV's Proposal is for a $1B stadium and complex (dorms & retail).

Seriously. Did Greg Schiano get a job near the Strip? How does a declining Conference team like UNLV think this is going to be supportable.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
UNLV's Proposal is for a $1B stadium and complex (dorms & retail).

Seriously. Did Greg Schiano get a job near the Strip? How does a declining Conference team like UNLV think this is going to be supportable.

I really don't think it's about UNLV, besides the dorms. I think it's about having a multi-purpose, state of the art facility in Las Vegas that could host a Super Bowl or maybe even a NFL team down the road. It's all about the fact that it's Vegas and they wanna get in on the hosting of major sporting events action! Now, the whole gambling bit may be a deterrent for some but I think others will quickly get over it. Wasn't the NBA All-Star game in Vegas last season?

Reaction Score
I really don't think it's about UNLV, besides the dorms. I think it's about having a multi-purpose, state of the art facility in Las Vegas that could host a Super Bowl or maybe even a NFL team down the road. It's all about the fact that it's Vegas and they wanna get in on the hosting of major sporting events action! Now, the whole gambling bit may be a deterrent for some but I think others will quickly get over it. Wasn't the NBA All-Star game in Vegas last season?

isn't Vegas still trying to pay for their monorail boondoggle? there's no ends to the amount of money Las Vegas will waste trying to make itself a destination for just one more person

Reaction Score
Tulane. Building on campus facility about 35,000; can use super dome for big games; Vandy/Duke type addition; great recruiting area; near Houston; New Orleans a good place to visit (especially after September).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom