UNL's Big Ten windfall around the corner | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UNL's Big Ten windfall around the corner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't think that schools are as much challenged by regional recruiting as they once were.

FSU's current #4 2014 class (Rivals)..has a couple of kids from Maryland, kids from New York, New Jersey, Kansas, Pennsylvania, Texas, Missouri...

Programs now go to the kids and kids are much more willing to leave their region then a couple of decades ago.

Reaction Score
Can someone help me understand why schools don't get full shares when they join? The concept is odd ot me and doesn't make logical sense. How long does it take before you are a full share? Granted I'd take partial payments in the B1G versus full payments in the AAC, but at some point it would fire me up that we're not on equal footing.

The logic is pretty much "because we can", and since there's big TV money on the table, that's pretty much all the reason any power conference needs.

The voting members get to set the membership conditions under which someone can join, and what other conditions a new member has to meet, or considerations it has to offer, if an invitation is extended.

Reaction Score
As a Big 10 guy (IU), I wanted to respond to some of the posts on here recently...

One post said the Big 10 might have to take KSU to get Kansas, or OK State to get Oklahoma, or for some reason might want to get ISU. I would say the odds of any of that happening is quite low. In general, the Big 10 wants the "flagship" program in a given state.

I think the odds are somewhat greater that the Big 10 might invite U Conn as a 15th and hold for a # of years and see what happens( if the equal divisions requirement goes away). I say that primarily because Delany (and some of the other pres/ADs) wants the east coast so much, and it's certainly possible the ACC may at some point offer U Conn. The biggest problem with that approach would be a loss of flexibilty were TX to decide to ditch the 12 and make some arrangement with any of the other P5 leagues. Although the IU and UM ADs have recently said they don't think expansion was over, both implied that 16 was the right #....they didn't want to go to 18. So going to 15 and having only one spot left for a western school might not be preferable to these guys.

With regard to MO....I think academic snobbery came into play. Adding Neb and MO at one time would have added the 13th and 14th rated schools academically. I remember the Univ. of Illinois' President making some derogatory comments about MO at that time. That, a general reluctance to change, and what seemed to be a genuine personal dislike by Delany of the MO higher-ups are the only reasons I can think of that Neb, Mo, and Rutgers weren't added at the same time, as that was a much-discussed option. With respect to the "academic snobbery" angle, that obviously favors U Conn going forward, with the high US News rating.....the future plans to increase U Conn's enrollment to the 33000 range also makes it "look" more like a Big 10 school..........To those who would say 'academics don't matter, look at the NEB addition', I would say that academics do matter to the Big 10 schools, but they can obviously be 'trumped' by other factors, most particularly money.

With regard to Neb football and basketball in the Big 10.......imo, 90% of Neb's relative lack of football success recently relates to Bo's craziness and (perceived or real) deficiencies as a coach and recruiter. The idea of Neb being out-recruited by the likes of TT, Baylor, and TCU is silliness, imo, absent that factor. Going forward, the # of recruits arguably lost in TX is easily made up recruiting elsewhere, but only if the coach has his s*** together. Likewise, 90% of Neb's relative success in basketball recently is a combination of Tim Miles' coaching and the enthusiasm generated by their new facilty. It has nothing to do with the Big 10 and very little to do with recruiting, and a lot to do with an enthusiastic coach and fans, player development, and some good luck. Going forward, Big 10 membership may help NEB basketball a little, but imo it's something of a lesser factor.

BTW, I enjoy your forum, and hope thingswork out for you guys with either the Big 10 or ACC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Unless I'm missing something, I think the only requirements for a conference to have a championship game is that the conference has to have at least 12 teams in which each division's teams play each other. I don't believe that the divisions have to be the sane size (although it is probably required the divisions cannot be unbalanced by more than one team). The MAC, for example, has 13 teams and has a CCG. I think it may be an issue of fairness for most conferences, but I could see conferences having an unbalanced divisions as a temporary measure.

Reaction Score
As a Big 10 guy (IU), I wanted to respond to some of the posts on here recently...

One post said the Big 10 might have to take KSU to get Kansas, or OK State to get Oklahoma, or for some reason might want to get ISU. I would say the odds of any of that happening is quite low. In general, the Big 10 wants the "flagship" program in a given state.

I think the odds are somewhat greater that the Big 10 might invite U Conn as a 15th and hold for a # of years and see what happens( if the equal divisions requirement goes away). I say that primarily because Delany (and some of the other pres/ADs) wants the east coast so much, and it's certainly possible the ACC may at some point offer U Conn. The biggest problem with that approach would be a loss of flexibilty were TX to decide to ditch the 12 and make some arrangement with any of the other P5 leagues. Although the IU and UM ADs have recently said they don't think expansion was over, both implied that 16 was the right #....they didn't want to go to 18. So going to 15 and having only one spot left for a western school might not be preferable to these guys.

With regard to MO....I think academic snobbery came into play. Adding Neb and MO at one time would have added the 13th and 14th rated schools academically. I remember the Univ. of Illinois' President making some derogatory comments about MO at that time. That, a general reluctance to change, and what seemed to be a genuine personal dislike by Delany of the MO higher-ups are the only reasons I can think of that Neb, Mo, and Rutgers weren't added at the same time, as that was a much-discussed option. With respect to the "academic snobbery" angle, that obviously favors U Conn going forward, with the high US News rating.....the future plans to increase U Conn's enrollment to the 33000 range also makes it "look" more like a Big 10 school.....To those who would say 'academics don't matter, look at the NEB addition', I would say that academics do matter to the Big 10 schools, but they can obviously be 'trumped' by other factors, most particularly money.

With regard to Neb football and basketball in the Big 10..imo, 90% of Neb's relative lack of football success recently relates to Bo's craziness and (perceived or real) deficiencies as a coach and recruiter. The idea of Neb being out-recruited by the likes of TT, Baylor, and TCU is silliness, imo, absent that factor. Going forward, the # of recruits arguably lost in TX is easily made up recruiting elsewhere, but only if the coach has his s* together. Likewise, 90% of Neb's relative success in basketball recently is a combination of Tim Miles' coaching and the enthusiasm generated by their new facilty. It has nothing to do with the Big 10 and very little to do with recruiting, and a lot to do with an enthusiastic coach and fans, player development, and some good luck. Going forward, Big 10 membership may help NEB basketball a little, but imo it's something of a lesser factor.

BTW, I enjoy your forum, and hope thingswork out for you guys with either the Big 10 or ACC.
I think seeing you visit the BY is a good sign here. I started reading FTT's blog in "10" after the RU rumors came out and found it very enlightening and read many of you're posts !! Most B1G posters are FB wise and reasonable in comparison to some of the southern "loonies" lol JMO ...anyway,welcome its good to see you're interest in UConn.

Reaction Score
Yeah Nicky...

I'm your "southern looney"...and I would also love to see UConn in the B1G.

It is the right place for the right fit.

Reaction Score
Yeah Nicky...

I'm your "southern looney"...and I would also love to see UConn in the B1G.

It is the right place for the right fit.
Ha ha I wondered how long or if you'd see that but you're not the fringe I was talking about billy but thanks for the response!As far as you're concerned I see honesty and forthrightness in you're posts and "usually genuineness" unless yer busting my chops.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Now...if only Delaney would steal Boston College.

After they upset Syracuse last night...they may be taken as a basketball school.

Reaction Score
Now...if only Delaney would steal Boston College.

After they upset Syracuse last night...they may be taken as a basketball school.
I would have liked that except it might offend some of our friends here and I would hate that add to the B1G but enjoyed the game.

Reaction Score
I think seeing you visit the BY is a good sign here. I started reading FTT's blog in "10" after the RU rumors came out and found it very enlightening and read many of you're posts !! Most B1G posters are FB wise and reasonable in comparison to some of the southern "loonies" lol JMO ...anyway,welcome its good to see you're interest in UConn.

Thanks, I appreciate your comments. I try to tread lightly when I'm on other people's forums....

Frank's blog is a good one for BT-centered takes on realignment. The quality of the posting there is pretty good.

I've followed this realignment business for many years now. I don't really know what IS going to happen, but I'm more sure about some of the things that AREN'T going to happen.............

Reaction Score
Thanks, I appreciate your comments. I try to tread lightly when I'm on other people's forums....

Frank's blog is a good one for BT-centered takes on realignment. The quality of the posting there is pretty good.

I've followed this realignment business for many years now. I don't really know what IS going to happen, but I'm more sure about some of the things that AREN'T going to happen...
Thank you for replying mushy....I appreciated the average poster there had more than a regional understanding of FB esp understanding the possibilities that RU and hopefully down the road a UConn could offer the B1G! As an RU fan I've grown very respectful of the way UConn handles their business in education as well as sports. Not to forget I'm also partial to the large state school's as B1G type school's and the fact UConn is also a "neighbor" to NJ holding the key last valuable east coast hole to locking down NYC metro and the NATIONAL market blocking the ACC from any possible gains in national but esp eastcoast perception. They've really earned it IMO though because their FB program is so young relatively speaking they really got the shaft in CR. I think as maybe the last(16) spot(hopefully) after UConn the B1G needs maybe a Fla/Texas(Okla) area presence to further enhance the B1G in growing recruiting grounds and not leave any stone unturned JMO!?! Naturally to entice the so called bigger FB brand UConn may like RU(although everyone knew RU was in whoever the next school was) did have to accept as #16 to appease the bigger brands ego in the details.

Reaction Score
Given what you've said about the Big10 and access to HS talent, why would UConn be a great addition? The BiG may be making the most money now, but if its recent crappy results in FB continue, it will decline in value. It seems (I fear) that the BiG has to move South, and that it's not going to waste a spot on a state without much HS potential.

UConn would be a great addition for the B1G's desire to add cable subscribers and to further add roots in the east. It would be thinking like a television network. If the B1G starts to think about football value, it will not add UConn. I wouldn't add Rutgers or Maryland either if it were thinking about football. Lately it hasn't been thinking about football.

And yes the recent crappy football will continue with no reach into the south. The first thing the B1G schools will try is to hire coaches who coached in the south. Zook at Illinois, who is now gone, Urban Myer at Ohio State, James Franklin at Penn State. These coaches will have some relationship with high schools in the south. But ultimately if you never play games in the south where the kids' friends and family can attend it's a losing battle for the top talent.

But if you think that's bad, think about being trapped in the B1G west (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, Northwestern, Illinois, and Purdue). These schools don't have access to the south, and now the are also cut off from Ohio and the East. Slim pickings are in store for these folks for certain going forward. You will see it on the field too. Just watch.

Reaction Score

With regard to MO....I think academic snobbery came into play. Adding Neb and MO at one time would have added the 13th and 14th rated schools academically. I remember the Univ. of Illinois' President making some derogatory comments about MO at that time. That, a general reluctance to change, and what seemed to be a genuine personal dislike by Delany of the MO higher-ups are the only reasons I can think of that Neb, Mo, and Rutgers weren't added at the same time, as that was a much-discussed option. With respect to the "academic snobbery" angle, that obviously favors U Conn going forward, with the high US News rating.....the future plans to increase U Conn's enrollment to the 33000 range also makes it "look" more like a Big 10 school.....To those who would say 'academics don't matter, look at the NEB addition', I would say that academics do matter to the Big 10 schools, but they can obviously be 'trumped' by other factors, most particularly money.

With regard to Neb football and basketball in the Big 10..imo, 90% of Neb's relative lack of football success recently relates to Bo's craziness and (perceived or real) deficiencies as a coach and recruiter. The idea of Neb being out-recruited by the likes of TT, Baylor, and TCU is silliness, imo, absent that factor. Going forward, the # of recruits arguably lost in TX is easily made up recruiting elsewhere, but only if the coach has his s* together. Likewise, 90% of Neb's relative success in basketball recently is a combination of Tim Miles' coaching and the enthusiasm generated by their new facilty. It has nothing to do with the Big 10 and very little to do with recruiting, and a lot to do with an enthusiastic coach and fans, player development, and some good luck. Going forward, Big 10 membership may help NEB basketball a little, but imo it's something of a lesser factor.

I understand what the Big Ten wants. The Rolling Stones have a hit song about wants. I also think they made a mistake with Missouri who didn't have a pair school in its state like Kansas does.

Nebraska's woes might be caused in part by Bo Pelini's coaching. I rarely watch a Nebraska game to judge. But the demographic trend regarding football talent is real, and it does impact Nebraska.

Reaction Score
I was just comparing the relative soundness of NJHSFB to the rest of the states in head to head! For instance DBP goes to Fla,Cali and Ala regularly and usually takes the best of there's to the woodshed..some play in Herbrbstreits Ohio challenge and do better than most! Wasnt talking about recent recruiting here jus saying there's plenty of talent up here that don't usually get credit unless they earn it!

I just looked at the schedule for tomorrow and saw that Rutgers is coming to play men's lacrosse tomorrow. Well I'll be. I didn't know Rutgers played lacrosse. The first person I thought of was you. Is Rutgers lacrosse a good team? I has to be their first visit to Klockner. Should be interesting.

Reaction Score
btstimpy said:
But if you think that's bad, think about being trapped in the B1G west (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, Northwestern, Illinois, and Purdue). These schools don't have access to the south, and now the are also cut off from Ohio and the East. Slim pickings are in store for these folks for certain going forward. You will see it on the field too. Just watch.

I've thought for a while the B1G is going to look south of the west division now that the Acc is not going to be ripped apart. I expect we start to hear a ton of chatter around the time the big 12's gor starts to creep to its conclusion.

I expect to see JD to look at Kansas Oklahoma and Texas. Maybe even a Tulane if they can improve in the aac and the B1G is crazy enough to go to 20.

Reaction Score
UConn would be a great addition for the B1G's desire to add cable subscribers and to further add roots in the east. It would be thinking like a television network. If the B1G starts to think about football value, it will not add UConn. I wouldn't add Rutgers or Maryland either if it were thinking about football. Lately it hasn't been thinking about football.

And yes the recent crappy football will continue with no reach into the south. The first thing the B1G schools will try is to hire coaches who coached in the south. Zook at Illinois, who is now gone, Urban Myer at Ohio State, James Franklin at Penn State. These coaches will have some relationship with high schools in the south. But ultimately if you never play games in the south where the kids' friends and family can attend it's a losing battle for the top talent.

For the most part a sensible reasonable post stimp but remember that most of the really good schools in the south have coaches with roots in the NE and Ohio which used to be call the cradle of coaches so the door swings both ways. Also much of the talent in the South have NE and midwestern family and friends still there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I just looked at the schedule for tomorrow and saw that Rutgers is coming to play men's lacrosse tomorrow. Well I'll be. I didn't know Rutgers played lacrosse. The first person I thought of was you. Is Rutgers lacrosse a good team? I has to be their first visit to Klockner. Should be interesting.
Only average from what I understand since I really don't watch too closely? I feel Lacrosse is a drain up here on good FB talent stimp. I hear the team is getter better with a fairly new coach though.

Reaction Score
For the most part a sensible reasonable post stimp but remember that most of the really good schools in the south have coaches with roots in the NE and Ohio which used to be call the cradle of coaches so the door swings both ways. Also much of the talent in the have NE and midwestern family and friends still there.

Bob Stoops at Oklahoma is a perfect example of what you are saying. He's an Ohio guy, IIRC. Nick Saban and Jimbo Fisher are West Virginia natives. Dan Mullen at Mississippi State is from New Hampshire, if memory serves.

You speak of northeastern talent, Butch Davis recruited NJ pretty hard when he was at UNC, and, our current HC, Larry Fedora is as well. Plus, he has signed some Ohio kids, too.

Reaction Score
Only average from what I understand since I really don't watch too closely? I feel Lacrosse is a drain up here on good FB talent stimp. I hear the team is getter better with a fairly new coach though.

Good Game tonight. It was tied at the half 8-8. UVA pulled away in the second half 19-12. Rutgers has an excellent goalie in Kris Alleyne. He had 21 saves. That's alot for a game. It was Rutgers's first trip to Klockner. Maybe the new AD at Rutgers knows Craig Littlepage and we'll play more often in the future. They kept saying Rutgers was in the Big East though. I know you're in the AAC headed to the Big Ten. It must have been a mistake by the announcers. That was wierd.

Reaction Score
Good Game tonight. It was tied at the half 8-8. UVA pulled away in the second half 19-12. Rutgers has an excellent goalie in Kris Alleyne. He had 21 saves. That's alot for a game. It was Rutgers's first trip to Klockner. Maybe the new AD at Rutgers knows Craig Littlepage and we'll play more often in the future. They kept saying Rutgers was in the Big East though. I know you're in the AAC headed to the Big Ten. It must have been a mistake by the announcers. That was wierd.
The AAC does not sponsor men's lacrosse. Rutgers is in the Big East for lacrosse, just as UConn is for field hockey.

Reaction Score
Yes I checked on the game since you told me they were playing. You guys can really grind em out!! I remember your MF Chris LaPierre whose a Jersey kid who had 44 TD's as a HS Sr in FB at QB. I remember Craig Littlepage your AD from when he was RU's hoops coach way back in the 80s?

Reaction Score
Yes I checked on the game since you told me they were playing. You guys can really grind em out!! I remember your MF Chris LaPierre whose a Jersey kid who had 44 TD's as a HS Sr in FB at QB. I remember Craig Littlepage your AD from when he was RU's hoops coach way back in the 80s?

Craig Littlepage does have a Rutgers background. It is all regarding basketball from a long time ago. He's been at UVA for a while now, and we have not played Rutgers in much of anything. So I was particularly focused on this Lacrosse Game because of you Nicky due to this CR board.

Reaction Score
Bob Stoops at Oklahoma is a perfect example of what you are saying. He's an Ohio guy, IIRC. Nick Saban and Jimbo Fisher are West Virginia natives. Dan Mullen at Mississippi State is from New Hampshire, if memory serves.

You speak of northeastern talent, Butch Davis recruited NJ pretty hard when he was at UNC, and, our current HC, Larry Fedora is as well. Plus, he has signed some Ohio kids, too.
Craig Littlepage does have a Rutgers background. It is all regarding basketball from a long time ago. He's been at UVA for a while now, and we have not played Rutgers in much of anything. So I was particularly focused on this Lacrosse Game because of you Nicky due to this CR board.

You know stimpy I think CL was a nice guy and a decent HC but I forget the circumstances of him leaving ? At that time I had a pretty hectic life living and working in NYC and sort of got away from being the avid fan I've been most of my life. Funny how close and similar our schools and Md are yet they might as well have been in different worlds for the most part? Though Al Groh and Al Golden were Jersey guys. I think VT put us in VA while they were in the BE and Hampton Road's was always a must look FB recruiting wise. Like from our perspective outside of Fla(weird exception) their was a line not to be crossed in Delaware in the south !?! Culture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom