University of Mississippi WBB Hit With NCAA Penalties | The Boneyard

University of Mississippi WBB Hit With NCAA Penalties

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UMISS handed penalties dating back to 2012 recruiting violations:

NCAA announces penalties for Ole Miss women’s basketball

Charlie--This may not be a majority opinion--but I think of the kids and staff (hard to think they didn't know) who get punished by "sanctions". I am assuming that the majority of players , and giving some staff the benefit of the doubt that they didn't know anything that was happening (not easy to believe)--with that assumption there should be a way to punish the guilty while allowing the program to compete. Naive, true, that's me.

Reaction Score
Charlie--This may not be a majority opinion--but I think of the kids and staff (hard to think they didn't know) who get punished by "sanctions". I am assuming that the majority of players , and giving some staff the benefit of the doubt that they didn't know anything that was happening (not easy to believe)--with that assumption there should be a way to punish the guilty while allowing the program to compete. Naive, true, that's me.

Agreed..........when I read the article it mentioned bad deeds dating back to 2012........hard to punish recruits in 2016-2019 for that...................

Reaction Score
It's like the Penn St. NCAA Punishment for Sandusky's horrible acts! It mostly punished present and future day players with no post-season and recruitment bans that punish the present that were not there at the time of the actions of administration & staff! The NCAA & B1G Ten should have thrown the book, fines, banishment, etc to ALL the individuals and PSU that were perpetrating the coverup!

Reaction Score
Agreed.....when I read the article it mentioned bad deeds dating back to 2012...hard to punish recruits in 2016-2019 for that....
It's like punishing my great grand kids for what I did 50 years ago. Not much sense there or compassion or understanding. Yet those guilty must be removed. The field of recruiting and retention must be as even as possible. I could make this decision but it would not be easy or seen as overall fair.

Reaction Score
It's like the Penn St. NCAA Punishment for Sandusky's horrible acts! It mostly punished present and future day players with no post-season and recruitment bans that punish the present that were not there at the time of the actions of administration & staff! The NCAA & B1G Ten should have thrown the book, fines, banishment, etc to ALL the individuals and PSU that were perpetrating the coverup!

Again, I'm naive, and I'll take a hit for saying this: To me the Sandusky acts and coverup by those who knew was fully a Criminal/legal action. Since nothing was done involving recruitment or academically to keep players on the field--the sanctions by the NCAA were not fair or required. Let the legal system punish those that are criminal. And I agree the book must be throw at all who knew or were involved with the criminal act--by the Legal System--we agree on punishment, probably disagree on who should do it.

Reaction Score
Again, I'm naive, and I'll take a hit for saying this: To me the Sandusky acts and coverup by those who knew was fully a Criminal/legal action. Since nothing was done involving recruitment or academically to keep players on the field--the sanctions by the NCAA were not fair or required. Let the legal system punish those that are criminal. And I agree the book must be throw at all who knew or were involved with the criminal act--by the Legal System--we agree on punishment, probably disagree on who should do it.
Agree with you on this. Also, we do not even know what happened beyond the fact that a former coach had inappropriate contact with a minor one time in the football locker room shower. That's basically it for Penn State's involvement. As I predicted when the school administrators were first charged on fairly flimsy evidence, the charges would eventually be quietly dropped while their reputations were destroyed. Here we are five years later next month, and other than Sandusky, no one has been convicted of the so-called conspiracy and coverup as the charges are slowly being dropped due to lack of evidence.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Agree with you on this. Also, we do not even know what happened beyond the fact that a former coach had inappropriate contact with a minor one time in the football locker room shower. That's basically it for Penn State's involvement. As I predicted when the school administrators were first charged on fairly flimsy evidence, the charges would eventually be quietly dropped while their reputations were destroyed. Here we are five years later next month, and other than Sandusky, no one has been convicted of the so-called conspiracy and coverup as the charges are slowly being dropped due to lack of evidence.

The first time administrators, coaches, etc....actually are charged in the criminal court system, AND actually go to prison, not jail, PRISON!!!, in addition to be given a LARGE monetary fine, then and only then will this sort of thing stop. Because up to now, nothing happens to those in charge that orchestrated (or knew about) the violation(s). They just move on to other jobs, and leave their garbage in their wake for others to clean up and make restitution for.

You want to bring to bring these types of incidents to a screeching halt? Have a teams of investigators that complete investigations in weeks, not years. Leave no stone un-turned. Start firing coaches/administrators/AD's, and start putting them custodial facilities after they have been found guilty of criminal acts, and take money out of their pockets. Make them ALL accountable. If they didn't know about what was going on during their watch, they should have. Nail ALL of them!!! If the acts are not criminal in nature, then fire them, fine them, and impose sanctions on any school at any level I,II or III that hires them for "X" number of years after that.

You hate to sanction the institution, but sometimes that's the only recourse you have. You can't just do nothing, and let the violation go unpunished. Some coaches would risk being fired and lose $$$, but not many. If you want this cheating to stop, take off the gloves. Start playing hardball. Make an example out of a few folks, and publicize it for all to see. Stop all of this "wrist slapping". The word will get around. If you can't win without cheating, then find another profession. The NCAA needs to adopt the attitude of the guy in the movie "Network". "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore"!!! :mad:

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Incidentally, the HC involved never actually coached a game, IIRC. He was hired from a successful stint elsewhere (UNLV?) and was fired before the season started.

That said, the new penalty is ONLY a 3 year probationary period. The self imposed penalties, by the school on itself, were much more severe and much more timely to the incident and have all been served.

This actually seems pretty sensible to me.

The other 2 new penalties are on the individuals involved and don't affect the school since they are no longer there.

Reaction Score
Am I missing something here? It took the NCAA four years to handle this serious (but not excessively complicated) case? Four years?
I hear the NCAA is about to change some academic standards again. UConn to be hit with new three year ban from NCAA tournament and loss of one scholly per year because Jim Calhoun looked the other way when Hasheem Thabeet got a B+ in his poli sci class. When will UConn learn to take the academics of its student-athletes more seriously like UNC?

Reaction Score
Incidentally, the HC involved never actually coached a game, IIRC. He was hired from a successful stint elsewhere (UNLV?) and was fired before the season started.

That said, the new penalty is ONLY a 3 year probationary period. The self imposed penalties, by the school on itself, were much more severe and much more timely to the incident and have all been served.

This actually seems pretty sensible to me.

The other 2 new penalties are on the individuals involved and don't affect the school since they are no longer there.

Yes I read the "self imposed" by the admin sanctions. The issue I have and I had this with NC, Penn, etc --where they pose penalties for years beyond what any current player will be around for, most coaching involved are gone --so who are being punished?? Not the Administration, maybe the AD (a small amt), but the current players and recruits--punishment is only effective if the people who committed the outrageous act are the ones punished. Punishing innocent students in and of itself is a abuse.

Reaction Score
I hear the NCAA is about to change some academic standards again. UConn to be hit with new three year ban from NCAA tournament and loss of one scholly per year because Jim Calhoun looked the other way when Hasheem Thabeet got a B+ in his poli sci class. When will UConn learn to take the academics of its student-athletes more seriously like UNC?
The NCAA UC violations of which you infer--speaks loads to the unevenness of the NCAA punishment and the swiftness in which it is administered.

Reaction Score
Stupid me--here I go again--The DA, legal system, the NCAA and the Penn Admin to some extent used this as a Photo op---waived the PC flag, and as you point out --few charges lived past the daylight of legal viewing--there is an old adage that my wife uses (a lot) :;
You can't unring a bell--once you damn a person publicly many hearing the name will immediate in their brain see the -charges but not the resolution. It has the effect of being charged and convicted. It's a great political game.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Remind me what happened to UNC for far worse. I cannot, for the life of me, recall, hard as I try.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score

I've always thought the proper way to punish bad behavior by the institution was to penalize the program, but allow current athletes the option of transferring to any school without penalty.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Stupid me--here I go again--The DA, legal system, the NCAA and the Penn Admin to some extent used this as a Photo op---waived the PC flag, and as you point out --few charges lived past the daylight of legal viewing--there is an old adage that my wife uses (a lot) :;
You can't unring a bell--once you damn a person publicly many hearing the name will immediate in their brain see the -charges but not the resolution. It has the effect of being charged and convicted. It's a great political game.
This brings to mind Secretary of Labor Raymond Donovan who in 1987 was accused, indicted and acquitted of larceny and fraud. Once acquitted he said "Which office do I go to get my reputation back?" Sad.

Reaction Score
Sounds exactly like our former Governor ---even sadder in that his wife got him in trouble---and he took the reputation hits --then a Federal Judge -effectively--said the case should not have been prosecuted. If he was not a decent man he would have run for a higher office IMO

Reaction Score
The real travesty here is that the NCAA is continually dragging their feet on the almost identical violations by North Carolina men's basketball.
The NCAA will be very slow and careful about disciplining schools like N.C., Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, Ohio St., Michigan etc. because those men's programs generate the huge TV contracts that produce 80+% of the NCAA's revenues which were almost $1 BILLION in 2014. For many years those schools have owned the NCAA so they'll be very hesitant to hand out major punishments to their Sugar Daddies.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Sounds exactly like our former Governor ---even sadder in that his wife got him in trouble---and he took the reputation hits --then a Federal Judge -effectively--said the case should not have been prosecuted. If he was not a decent man he would have run for a higher office IMO
Trump's daughter Ivanka was on TV yesterday or today and said that she'd thought the real estate business was cutthroat. But now she knows that politics is the real bloodsport. Can I get an amen to that.

Reaction Score
The NCAA will be very slow and careful about disciplining schools like N.C., Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, Ohio St., Michigan etc. because those men's programs generate the huge TV contracts that produce 80+% of the NCAA's revenues which were almost $1 BILLION in 2014. For many years those schools have owned the NCAA so they'll be very hesitant to hand out major punishments to their Sugar Daddies.
They didn't have any problem going after USC on the Reggie Bush thing (very major), or Ohio State for players trading jerseys for tatoos (very minor IMO - not an incentive for a recruit to attend OSU). But, meanwhile, in basketball Louisville hires prostitutes for recruits and their fathers, UNC runs fake classes for 20+ years, and ....????

Reaction Score
They didn't have any problem going after USC on the Reggie Bush thing (very major), or Ohio State for players trading jerseys for tatoos (very minor IMO - not an incentive for a recruit to attend OSU). But, meanwhile, in basketball Louisville hires prostitutes for recruits and their fathers, UNC runs fake classes for 20+ years, and ....????
GGeez--A DAD's supposed to let their Sons got it ALONE?? Who beside DAD will keep them out of trouble?????

Reaction Score
Trump's daughter Ivanka was on TV yesterday or today and said that she'd thought the real estate business was cutthroat. But now she knows that politics is the real bloodsport. Can I get an amen to that.

My wife as the doo gooder she is--became a member of the Democrat Town Committee in a SMALL town in Ct---I never met a cruddier group of people in my life---it ain't all in DC--although those in DC, speaking from first hand knowledge, have made it an ART form.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
My wife as the doo gooder she is--became a member of the Democrat Town Committee in a SMALL town in Ct---I never met a cruddier group of people in my life---it ain't all in DC--although those in DC, speaking from first hand knowledge, have made it an ART form.

Oh, you are so going to be punished!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS