University of Miami's opening game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
11643473-large.jpg

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Used to be the Hottest Ticket in town, when they played at the Orange Bowl, in the Dorsey Streak Era. All the fans must be at the New Marlins Park, which sadly came in at 500,000 bodies less, than pre season predictions. Hard to beat South Beach!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Miami is the counterargument to the cheaters never prosper canard.

They have no fan base to speak of and have precious little to point to that wasn't accomplished without some mighty shenanigans going on behind the scenes.

Even recently, when we were pumped full of "this is the new Miami" crap, they were, again, just plain filthy behind the scenes.

And yet look where they are. Miami was the beginning of the end of the Big East and they were nothing but a house of marked cards. But, they're safe and comfy and they'll weather whatever sanctions they get and emerge on the other side as just another fat, happy, marginally supported athletic program.

Until they decide to go rogue for a while...

Reaction Score
Miami is the counterargument to the cheaters never prosper canard.

They have no fan base to speak of and have precious little to point to that wasn't accomplished without some mighty shenanigans going on behind the scenes.

Even recently, when we were pumped full of "this is the new Miami" crap, they were, again, just plain filthy behind the scenes.

And yet look where they are. Miami was the beginning of the end of the Big East and they were nothing but a house of marked cards. But, they're safe and comfy and they'll weather whatever sanctions they get and emerge on the other side as just another fat, happy, marginally supported athletic program.

Until they decide to go rogue for a while...

I agree. There are a number of other programs that got equally lucky (although more because of being in the right place rather than going rogue). Realistically, UConn is in a different bucket than Michigan, Florida, Texas, etc. due to a much smaller state population, pro options, and less traditional support (for football). If, however, we started conferences from scratch and picked somewhat blindly, Northwestern, Vandy, Wake, Duke, Iowa St., kansas State, Baylor, BC, and Syracuse, to name a few, would have to be nervous to line up their pros and cons against UConn's.

Reaction Score
I always thought the ACC played a tough OOC schedule. :)

Florida State sure intimidated me with Savannah State and Murray State.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
That picture's from when they played Bethune-Cookman. Combine that with a noon start at a stadium way off campus in Miami of all places. It's really no surprise that there's no crowd there.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
That picture's from when they played Bethune-Cookman. Combine that with a noon start at a stadium way off campus in Miami of all places. It's really no surprise that there's no crowd there.
Its a major conference football team playing football. There aren't enough reasons in the world to excuse a turnout like that.

Reaction Score
according to the boxscore, the attendance for that game was over 39,000.

The stands in that pic look similar to the Rent when the team enters, no????

Reaction Score
according to the boxscore, the attendance for that game was over 39,000.

The stands in that pic look similar to the Rent when the team enters, no????

Yeah i just checked also, 39,000 in the opener and 38,000 in the second game of the season against NC State. Miami @ Georgia Tech had the biggest turnout so far with 50k

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Miami has been more of a fad team than likely anyone in any sport. Being a small, private school does not normally build a permanent fan base and compounding the matter with The U is that a large part of the fad (beyond the ridiculous success they had) was related to the outlaw image (which was also a major allure for many athletes). Their (supposed) attempts to become a clean, respectable program made them far less attractive on a level beyond success to many who attended their games.

Reaction Score
I have season tickets for Nebraska football and it doesn't matter who, what, when, the place is sold out. One of the few things left to be proud of here with the football program. We (Nebraska) has the record by a long way of consecutive sell outs which are approaching 400. Miami is a joke of a football program now and I couldn't be happier. PS, In before the people come in that say "there isn't anything to do here." I know my situation is a little different, but this is what big time programs do in collegiate sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom