Univ of Maryland Pres thinks UNC should get death penalty | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Univ of Maryland Pres thinks UNC should get death penalty

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Remember when Boatright was accused of illegal benefits and the NCAA suspended him BEFORE they did an investigation?

Turned out he did nothing wrong. But he was punished for it.

Is this the extra food fiasco?

Reaction Score
Tell you what, if another University has done what UNC has, then they can have the death penalty too.

just because they haven't been caught yet don't think for a second that the football/basketball factory schools don't break the rules on a daily basis........my men's basketball friends who have pretty good inside sources tell me that an SEC and another ACC team are in the sights of the NCAA as we speak

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
just because they haven't been caught yet don't think for a second that the football/basketball factory schools don't break the rules on a daily basis...my men's basketball friends who have pretty good inside sources tell me that an SEC and another ACC team are in the sights of the NCAA as we speak

They must be shakin' in their boots, huh ...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Be spicer with a little brown mustard lip, ala the got milk commercial, knowing your feelings about food.

I have no use for mustard unless 1) its on a hot dog 2) its on a bologna sandwich 3) its in potato salad 4) its in deviled eggs

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Why is everybody always picking on me? UNC's version of that old Coaster song. It's hard to believe that they haven't been hammered by the NCAA and it really is pathetic. How could any school that's been punished by the NCAA tolerate the preferential treatment they've had???? So SAD!
Yeah, but Charlie Brown actually walked into a classroom (cool and slow)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
All the fans here in NC think the NCAA doesn't have the balls to hit UNC hard. As I Husky, I find the NCAA lack of action unbelievably biased.
A series in the Raleigh paper laid out the violations in great detail. The violations were of the worst kind and cheated not only other teams but all athletes who do real schoolwork. Think of how much better they would perform if they didn't have to keep up in their studies and worry about exams.

I'll usually hit the google button and go researching until my head is content, but Iv'e got hit the road shortly. Do you have a link to that paper and/or one of the articles. This incident has been going on so long that I'd like to get up on the specifics again, particularly from a local paper. Thx.....

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
just because they haven't been caught yet don't think for a second that the football/basketball factory schools don't break the rules on a daily basis...my men's basketball friends who have pretty good inside sources tell me that an SEC and another ACC team are in the sights of the NCAA as we speak
Again, Tell you what, if another University has done what UNC has, then they can have the death penalty too.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Let they without sin, cast the first stone. There is not a major division-one university, with a team in the national spotlight (read football, and basketball) that hasn't violated NCAA rules. Money, boosters, boosters, money, a complicit high-school sending system, all the ingredients for a national championship and/or the death penalty.

A Florida fan speaks with authority on these subjects. ;)

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Tell you what, if another University has done what UNC has, then they can have the death penalty too.

Again, Tell you what, if another University has done what UNC has, then they can have the death penalty too.

You can say THAT again!!

Reaction Score

I have no dog in this fight but I am keenly interested in college sports and the bad things that often unfold when dealing with student athletes.........I have followed the UNC story from the beginning and I have a pretty good handle on what took place there.........I have read many of the articles from the Raleigh N&O newspaper that claims to have broken the story and I have read much of the Wainstein report which was the second voluminous investigation prepared at UNC's (the taxpayer's) multi-million dollar cost about the scandal.............to the positive UNC has made some sweeping changes that were necessary to safeguard such issues from happening again and they were given a clean bill of health after earlier being threatened with loosing their accreditation.................contrary to popular belief there is another side to the story that you most likely have not heard .........if you are willing to consider that some of what took place there may not be quite as it seems, you might consider reading some of the articles by Bradley Bethel who was a UNC academic adviser at the time......he has never been accused of any wrong doing and gives a pretty interesting counter argument for some but not all of what took place.........feel free to google his name......... the following is a short article about a documentary that he produced about the entire story from his perspective

‘Unverified’ documentary challenges UNC academic-athletic scandal narratives :: The Daily Tar Heel

One of the reasons for the delay by the NCAA has been their inability to get any of those who are accused of wrong doing to testify...........Deborah Crowder who is one the lead characters has always maintained her innocence and it is my understanding that she has finally agreed to testify..... it will be interesting to hear her side of the story..........what you may fail to realize is that both UNC then and the NCAA now must tread lightly due to the racial component of this case.......they don't want to appear to be unfairly treating members of the specific department where the bulk of the "irregularities" took place.........additionally the NCAA has been snake bitten by the Penn State fiasco and there also appears to be a legal disagreement over just how much control they actually have over the academic policies of any university in their role as an intercollegiate athletic organization............there is no question that UNC needs to be called into account for whatever academic improprieties took place there over many years.........whether that means the "death penalty" will ultimately be up to the NCAA or maybe the courts but don't think for a second that other equally prestigious schools aren't doing similar things as we speak......they just haven't been caught yet..........

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
The DT article really doesn't say much, but the comments after it are quite interesting.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of UNC haters out there.........doesn't make the guy's opinion any less valuable.........as a former newspaper reporter myself, I try to keep an open mind as much as I can............except whe it comes to UConn WBB I suppose........

Here's a quick rundown of Mr Bethel's beliefs on the UNC scandal.......I think he let's the UNC Athletic Dept off easy on this but his basic premise is plausable:

To summarize this: The AFAM paper-class scandal was not an athletics-driven scandal. It was the result of a department chair's and his assistant's misguided efforts to help struggling students, and it was allowed to persist because of the deans' negligence. The academic counselors for athletes learned about the paper classes but had assurance from multiple deans that the department chair had the autonomy to conduct the classes in whatever manner he chose. Yet the counselors have received considerable blame, being scapegoated to protect the deans. Nyang'oro and Crowder were able to conduct some form of the paper-classes for nearly two decades without any deans addressing their substandard quality. Accordingly, this scandal should have demonstrated the neglect prestigious research universities show toward teaching undergraduates. However, the media saw a sexier story in an athletics scandal, and the University was content to allow that narrative to develop. As a result, good people have been hurt. Fortunately, most of those good people have been able to move on. That's what I hope to do, too.

Reaction Score
From an ACC blog:

I would not be surprised if John Swofford and Big 10 Commissioner Jim Delany have had a conversation about who is already a sore point with the ACC. Loh went to Maryland from a provost’s position at Iowa, looked Swofford in the face and pledged his school’s allegiance to the ACC in 2013 while holding secret meetings about bolting to the Big 10 for more money. Now Loh made more headlines talking nonsense about one of Swofford’s schools.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom