Univ of Maryland Pres thinks UNC should get death penalty | The Boneyard

Univ of Maryland Pres thinks UNC should get death penalty

Reaction Score
Maryland President Wallace Loh: "For the things that happened in North Carolina, it's abysmal. I would think that this would lead to the implementation of the death penalty by the NCAA. But I'm not in charge of that."

North Carolina school officials are "taken aback....surprised that a sitting university president with no direct knowledge of our case would choose to offer such uninformed and highly speculative opinions."

Roy Williams says his program did nothing wrong, and that the length of the investigation has a been a punishment.

Maryland head sees UNC shutdown for scandal

upload_2017-4-11_11-38-28.png

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
What's interesting is that like United Airlines this week; North Carolina has steadfastly and consistently stonewalled to minimize their responsibility...

For Williams to say that his program did nothing wrong is total bull...just disinformation and to opine that the fact that the University has dragged out the proceedings for years makes that punishment enough is so illogical as to wonder whether this guy's mind merits University employment.

Oh, well, I almost forgot, he's a winning coach; they can say anything.

Embarrassing though, Eh?

Wonder whether the Maryland Prez knows anything?

Reaction Score
It's easier for Maryland to say such things now that they are no longer in the ACC. If the offender was UConn and not UNC the NCAA would have already levied the death penalty on us and stripped all of our basketball titles going back to 1995.

Reaction Score
All the fans here in NC think the NCAA doesn't have the balls to hit UNC hard. As I Husky, I find the NCAA lack of action unbelievably biased.
A series in the Raleigh paper laid out the violations in great detail. The violations were of the worst kind and cheated not only other teams but all athletes who do real schoolwork. Think of how much better they would perform if they didn't have to keep up in their studies and worry about exams.

Reaction Score
All the fans here in NC think the NCAA doesn't have the balls to hit UNC hard. As I Husky, I find the NCAA lack of action unbelievably biased.
A series in the Raleigh paper laid out the violations in great detail. The violations were of the worst kind and cheated not only other teams but all athletes who do real schoolwork. Think of how much better they would perform if they didn't have to keep up in their studies and worry about exams.
Remember when UConn was punished for reporting that they had fallen short of the retroactively applied APR standard and lost scholarships and had a post-season ban? Remember when Geno wished good luck to a 7th grade little leaguer and was slapped with a secondary violation? Funny how fast the NCAA investigates and decides punishment when it's us, but multi-decade academic fraud by student-athletes at UNC? Welp can't do anything about that because they are too big to fail.

Reaction Score
Maryland President Wallace Loh: "For the things that happened in North Carolina, it's abysmal. I would think that this would lead to the implementation of the death penalty by the NCAA. But I'm not in charge of that."

North Carolina school officials are "taken aback....surprised that a sitting university president with no direct knowledge of our case would choose to offer such uninformed and highly speculative opinions."

Roy Williams says his program did nothing wrong, and that the length of the investigation has a been a punishment.

Maryland head sees UNC shutdown for scandal

View attachment 21621

We need more college presidents to stand up an be heard on this. Why haven't we heard the choices of other President's [like Herbst]?

Reaction Score
Okay, I'm impressed by Loh. Someone asked a question and he answered it. Rare these days. He's also absolutely right. UNC should be placed on academic probationary status and its athletics shut down for three years, IMHO.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
It's easier for Maryland to say such things now that they are no longer in the ACC. If the offender was UConn and not UNC the NCAA would have already levied the death penalty on us and stripped all of our basketball titles going back to 1995.

That's not even an exaggeration.

Apparently guy's leaving early for the pros without finishing real classes is a bigger deal than guys taking fake ones.

Reaction Score
We need more college presidents to stand up an be heard on this. Why haven't we heard the choices of other President's [like Herbst]?
Herbst has to tread lightly on this issue considering UConn is one day hoping to join UNC's conference and will need UNC's support to do so.

Reaction Score
Herbst has to tread lightly on this issue considering UConn is one day hoping to join UNC's conference and will need UNC's support to do so.

I understand that. It's also why other presidents haven't spoken up. What Loh did takes guts. Something many in the academic world don't have anymore.

Reaction Score
Why is everybody always picking on me? UNC's version of that old Coaster song. It's hard to believe that they haven't been hammered by the NCAA and it really is pathetic. How could any school that's been punished by the NCAA tolerate the preferential treatment they've had???? So SAD!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Isn't it time for another revised NCAA report and another 2 year delay in the decision on sanctions. Then a decision will be rendered that since all athletes and other students affected by the practices are gone, it would be wrong to punish the student athletes now enrolled, so there will be no loss of scholarships are other current sanctions. Trophies from the time of the infractions will be inscribed on the bottom with the word, in type of a size to be determined by UNC, : cheat.

Reaction Score
Let they without sin, cast the first stone. There is not a major division-one university, with a team in the national spotlight (read football, and basketball) that hasn't violated NCAA rules. Money, boosters, boosters, money, a complicit high-school sending system, all the ingredients for a national championship and/or the death penalty.

Reaction Score
UConn got a year ban when the NCAA created a rule and applied it retroactively, penalizing kids who weren't there when the alleged infraction took place. Players went to real classes and got real grades. UNC institutionalized cheating for over a decade for the benefit of keeping kids eligible. Anything less than a multi-year ban, championships being vacated, and lost scholarships would be a joke. The fact that the UNC administration has had the absolute wrong approach to dealing with the scandal is even more grotesque.

Reaction Score
Remember when Boatright was accused of illegal benefits and the NCAA suspended him BEFORE they did an investigation?

Turned out he did nothing wrong. But he was punished for it.

Reaction Score
Remember when Boatright was accused of illegal benefits and the NCAA suspended him BEFORE they did an investigation?

Turned out he did nothing wrong. But he was punished for it.
Let they without sin, cast the first stone. There is not a major division-one university, with a team in the national spotlight (read football, and basketball) that hasn't violated NCAA rules. Money, boosters, boosters, money, a complicit high-school sending system, all the ingredients for a national championship and/or the death penalty.

Yes be very careful what you wish for as it may come back and bite you where it hurts..........dare I say very few teams are totally above board when it comes to big time athletics and that includes some pretty prestigious universities............

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Tell you what, if another University has done what UNC has, then they can have the death penalty too.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Interesting how much national press, the report has generated.
I wonder if it's a trial balloon run-up by the powers that be.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom