Univ. of Houston is coming, regents vote Thurs- First Tier 2 school in an AQ conference | The Boneyard

Univ. of Houston is coming, regents vote Thurs- First Tier 2 school in an AQ conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Big East, preserving the academic, geographic fit of the conference one school at a time.

http://www.dailyjournal.net/view/st...ab70f3aa13ed2/Houston-Conference-Affiliation/

What is this Tier 2 stuff?

You know, my own school, UB was in tier 2 up until this year. Yet we're a Research 1 school and part of the AAU.
Meanwhile, Reed College languishes in some ungodly lower tier.

Last year, some questioned these tiers and USNWR said they were incorporating the Carnegie tiers into their calculus for determining tiers. Which made little sense since there was no correlation.

Reaction Score
The Big East, preserving the academic, geographic and cultural fit of the conference one school at a time.

http://www.dailyjournal.net/view/st...ab70f3aa13ed2/Houston-Conference-Affiliation/

I'm sure I'm being dense but I'm missing your point I think. Are you implying it's more important to preserve the academic standing of the conference than to preserve the conference? That it's somehow not ridiculous and illegal that schools aren't allowed to compete in the highest level of football because they don't attract as high caliber a student? what?

Reaction Score
"Illegal"? Odd choice of words.

Just as Houston is an odd choice to join the Big East. Tier 2 means the school sucks academically. US News Tier 2. (Ask the FSU president if US News rankings mean something) It also sucks as a cultural fit. It also sucks as a geographic fit. But since UConn is so unappealing as a university, playing in the Big Scrap Conference is now our fate.

p.s. Except for their qb this year, Houston has sucked also in both football and basketball forever.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Just as Houston is an odd choice to join the Big East. Tier 2 means the school sucks academically. US News Tier 2. (Ask the FSU president if US News rankings mean something) It also sucks as a cultural fit. It also sucks as a geographic fit. But since UConn is so unappealing as a university, playing in the Big Scrap Conference is now our fate.

p.s. Except for their qb this year, Houston has sucked also in both football and basketball forever.

lol. Get a clue.

a) This isn't about academics. It's about maintaining our BCS AQ status, bottom line.

b) You can't just say they suck, but then dismiss they are ranked in the BCS Top 25 this year, which is going to help a) Maintaining BCS AQ status.

Reaction Score

I'm sorry. You just felt the need to crap on UConn again. I thought you might be trying to make a point.

My bad.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
He lost any bit of credibility when he said Houston has sucked in both football and basketball in forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Just as Houston is an odd choice to join the Big East. Tier 2 means the school sucks academically. US News Tier 2. (Ask the FSU president if US News rankings mean something)

The FSU president also said: "there are really very few universities out there that can even be considered."

That is the position that the Big East is in.

Reaction Score
2011 Conf-USA 6-0 282

2010 Conf-USA 5-7 452
2009 Conf-USA 10-4 591
2008 Conf-USA 8-5
2007 Conf-USA 8-5
2006 Conf-USA 10-4
2005 Conf-USA 6-6
2004 Conf-USA 3-8
2003 Conf-USA 7-6
2002 Conf-USA 5-7
2001 Conf-USA 0-11
2000 Conf-USA 3-8
1999 Conf-USA 7-4
1998 Conf-USA 3-8
1997 Conf-USA 3-8
1996 Conf-USA 7-5
1995 Southwest 2-9
1994 Southwest 1-10
1993 Southwest 1-9-1

Basketball 3 NCAA tourney appearances in 25 years.

Yes, they do suck.

He lost any bit of credibility when he said Houston has sucked in both football and basketball in forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
I'm amazed how many posters bring up academics when talking about Big East expansion. We are going to play them in football, we are not going to allow their professors to start teaching classes at UCONN. If you are looking for a competition of wits watch Jeopardy.

Houston is no less of a geographic fit than TCU.

Culture? That's true, there is a cultural difference, in general people from Texas are more passionate about football than people from CT.

Houston is a sleeping giant. They sell out their games and they are building a new stadium, there is also alot of $$$ in Texas. If the Big East survives look for Houston to become the team to beat.

Reaction Score
The Big East, preserving the academic, geographic and cultural fit of the conference one school at a time.

Houston has a pretty good sports history. In basketball, they have been to 5 Final 4s and 19 NCAA tourneys and have the 48th best winnIng percentage of all time. In the early 80s, they were the most exciting college basketball program - Phi Slamma Jamma.

In football, they have a decent history. Ranked 15 times in final polls and a Heisman Trophy winner.

As for academics, I think they are a better school than you think.

Reaction Score
When was the last time Houston was ranked in a final poll in football?

Answer: 1990

DePaul used to be good at hoops at that time, too.

Houston has a pretty good sports history. In basketball, they have been to 5 Final 4s and 19 NCAA tourneys and have the 48th best winnIng percentage of all time. In the early 80s, they were the most exciting college basketball program - Phi Slamma Jamma.

In football, they have a decent history. Ranked 15 times in final polls and a Heisman Trophy winner.

As for academics, I think they are a better school than you think.

Reaction Score
I am usually just tracking this board for information but thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. Seems to me that if there is a ranked school in Texas which is not an AQ school, has capacity greater than 50,000 and is willing to join the Big East, we should sign them up yesterday. We are now living in the Brave New World where we are are the brink of Football irrelevance-not to be dramatic as others on this board! As far as I can tell Ohio State, Oklahoma or Notre Dame are not walking through that door.

Reaction Score
Houston 4 year graduation rate: 12%
Houston 6 year graduation rate 42%

US News Rank: unranked

Avg SAT 1056

11% live on campus

Student body consists of 46% community college transfers

By the way, UConn's endowment is $312 million.

Houston endowment $495,000,000 / UCONN $263,000,000.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score

Huh?

Andre Ware and the Heisman Trophy? Hakeem Olajuwan/Clyde Drexler and Phi Slamma Jamma? You've got to be kidding, right?...

Reaction Score

Tier 2 means squat. There have been AAU schools on Tier 2. When USNews was questioned on what Tier 2 was about, they punted to Carnegie. And Carnegie basically said, "We have no idea what they are talking about."

Just to give you a sense of what USNWR is doing, check this out: Questionnaire

Realize that this is 75% of the weight of the rankings. Reputation.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Well they might be coming. It just says he will not need any approval. They will have to have a conference to come to.
And an invitation. For reasons I cannot fathom none have gone out yet. My guess is that the leadership of the BE is waiting until we become an even less attractive destination before asking anyone to join.

Reaction Score
Huh?

Andre Ware and the Heisman Trophy? Hakeem Olajuwan/Clyde Drexler and Phi Slamma Jamma? You've got to be kidding, right?...

You need to understand. People who view themselves as UConn fans but live to undercut and denigrate the program have free reign to exaggerate. Don't you read the rules?

Reaction Score
Seriously, how hard is it to understand that nobody gets invited until we know who is available and how many spots there are. AIrforce and Boise are not moving until we they know what's what

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon