Uniqueness of WBB Names | The Boneyard

Uniqueness of WBB Names

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was thinking of some of the better WCBB players this season and realized that many of them are recognizable by their first names only. Here are the first names of the Naismith Final 20.

Napheesa
Katie Lou

Crystal
Bridget
Kalani
Lauren
Arike
Jessica
Asia
Tiana
Sabrina

Ruthy
Destiny
Kristine
Alanna
Chennedy
Sophie
Teaira
Megan
Kaila

Some of these names are seemingly rare, period. Some of the others are more common, but I can't recall another elite WBB player with that name. Can anyone name another elite player--current or past--with the names in bold?

Reaction Score
Katie Lou isn't KLS's name. To be consistent she should be listed as Katie since "Katie Lou" is almost a portmanteau of her first and middle names. There have been tons of Katies in WCBB over the years.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Katie Lou isn't KLS's name. To be consistent she should be listed as Katie since "Katie Lou" is almost a portmanteau of her first and middle names. There have been tons of Katies in WCBB over the years.
Portmanteau? Nice word. I can't remember the last time I looked one up. And people say you don't learn anything on the BY.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I assume that Lou is her middle name. Maybe OCHoops can verify. But she never goes by just “Katie.” She is generally known as “Lou.” I can’t recall another Lou on the women’s side. “Katie Lou” is her second choice.

I can’t recall another “Azzi” as a FIRST name.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
So Mary Ann on Giligans Island is just plain Mary?
You go by the name you use. Unless you are stupid Julianne Vianni (sp) who does the color on the CBS network games and calls her Katie. How can she not know the Lou doesnt go by Katie? (Sorry the previous point is a peeve I have)

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I assume that Lou is her middle name. Maybe OCHoops can verify. But she never goes by just “Katie.” She is generally known as “Lou.” I can’t recall another Lou on the women’s side. “Katie Lou” is her second choice.

I can’t recall another “Azzi” as a FIRST name.
In the 11 years I have known her and her family I have never heard her referred to anything but Lou. This includes all of her family, including uncles aunts grandparents and any coach she has had from hs, to club ball.
If you refer to her complete name it is Katie Lou Samuelson. If you ask her for a hug after a game it is just Lou, you were great again.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I was thinking of some of the better WCBB players this season and realized that many of them are recognizable by their first names only. Here are the first names of the Naismith Final 20.

Napheesa
Katie Lou

Crystal
Bridget
Kalani
Lauren
Arike
Jessica
Asia
Tiana
Sabrina

Ruthy
Destiny
Kristine
Alanna
Chennedy
Sophie
Teaira
Megan
Kaila

Some of these names are seemingly rare, period. Some of the others are more common, but I can't recall another elite WBB player with that name. Can anyone name another elite player--current or past--with the names in bold?

Slightly different, but Teana Muldrow of West Virginia is very similar to the name Tiana.

Tierra McGowan of Morehead State is worth noting too for McCowan. Kind of strange how similar that one is....it's like when Colorado basketball had a Brittany Spears and Whitney Houston on the same roster.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Slightly different, but Teana Muldrow of West Virginia is very similar to the name Tiana.

Tierra McGowan of Morehead State is worth noting too for McCowan. Kind of strange how similar that one is....it's like when Colorado basketball had a Brittany Spears and Whitney Houston on the same roster.
Yeah, different spellings of Tierra, etc., as in Ruffin-Pratt.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Portmanteau? Nice word. I can't remember the last time I looked one up. And people say you don't learn anything on the BY.
Portmanteau. Isn't that a hat?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Portmanteau. Isn't that a hat?
Cheese from southern France. Hard texture, salty with lingering flavor similar to caramelized brown sugar.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I would say Crystal could be considered a bolded name. I don't know in my limited knowledge another elite player with that name.

DeWanna was an elite player and I don't know any other players with that name.

Not elite, but I just saw that College of Charleston will have a player next season whose name is Excellanxt Greer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If someone named Endeavor Morse ever plays basketball there should be an investigation. ;)

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Cheese from southern France. Hard texture, salty with lingering flavor similar to caramelized brown sugar.
I thought that was Clemenceau. Maybe we can work out an equitable treaty between us where we can settle on a name.

Reaction Score
Just go look at Baylor’s roster for a list of unique names. I believe Lobo put out a tweet on it earlier this year.

Reaction Score
So Mary Ann on Giligans Island is just plain Mary?
You go by the name you use. Unless you are stupid Julianne Vianni (sp) who does the color on the CBS network games and calls her Katie. How can she not know the Lou doesnt go by Katie? (Sorry the previous point is a peeve I have)
What first name is listed on KLS's birth certificate? In your example, if Ann is a middle name, then yes, her name is Mary, which is what her driver's license and all government documents would show. Just like Juicy Landrum may be called Juicy by her teammates, but Uncle Sam will continue to call her Calveion whether she likes it or not.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A decade or more ago, Tony Kornheiser wrote an annual column on the interesting names in the men’s tournament.

Some of the standouts: Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje and God Shammgod.

Reaction Score
Juicy is Calveion???
Yes. Baylor is full of these kinds of names. Moon Ursin's name is really Cara and DiDi Richards's name is Deauzya (or something like that I'm usually pretty good with spelling, but this one I probably got wrong). No idea if Queen Egbo's real name is Queen, but Baylor has all kinds of crazy names. Baylor also has an Honesty which I imagine is pretty rare.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom