Unheralded good games | The Boneyard

Unheralded good games

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
They didn't really light up the box score and won't see many appearances on any highlight reels for today's game, but I was impressed with Whaley and Gaffney. Okay, Whaley's 2nd shot was ugly, but other than that, he played an excellent game. Tough D, solid rebounding, shot blocking, quick hands, and forcing turnovers. On offense, he set some solid screens and also was the first guy all season to successfully throw the alley oop lob to Akok for a dunk. We're now 1/10.

Gaffney managed to rack up 7 assists in very efficient fashion. I've heard people refer to him as a combo guard, but to me he seems like a pure point. Good playmaker, makes smart decisions, and doesn't try to do too much. After early jitters, he's showing great poise for a freshman.

Vital, Carlton, and Akok (and to a lesser extent Adams) were obviously the stars of this one, but these two guys deserve some recognition as well. Nice to see Jelly get off the bench too.

Reaction Score
I was at the game, and I can say with absolute certainty Josh Carlton had no where close to a stellar performance. I swear he was born with 0 fast twitch muscle fibers and before reading the defense he already has a pre determined move he is going to do no matter what. This type of game should have been a easy double double for him, but it was a ghostly performance in terms of impact on the game

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
I was at the game, and I can say with absolute certainty Josh Carlton had no where close to a stellar performance. I swear he was born with 0 fast twitch muscle fibers and before reading the defense he already has a pre determined move he is going to do no matter what. This type of game should have been a easy double double for him, but it was a ghostly performance in terms of impact on the game

Carlton shows flashes of a lot of skill at times. Other times he’s just absolutely lost and it’s baffling.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score

The missed bunnies were frustrating, but he clogged the lanes and was largely effective in keeping the opposing bigs at bay. He came very close to putting up a double double.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I don't think JC played particularly impressive, but he was close to a double double and UConn took air out of ball with about 8 min to go.
JC was inefficient and it wouldn't surprise me if half his rebounds were putpacks of his own misses.

Reaction Score
Josh will catch a pass and have room to operate but it takes him way too long to figure out what he is going to do, then it becomes a slow series of big man moves that result in missed layups as he can't get his feet under him to elevate, tie ups or the ball is stolen. He needs to be able to shoot using the glass off one step, or a short J or hook. The lack of explosiveness is a real problem. Whaley is much quicker and a nice change of pace.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Adams was so solid that it showed up in the box score.
In the post-game interview, Hurley talked about Josh's performance as a mental thing on offense, and something that needs to be worked on in the next two days. And he put it as much on himself and the coaching staff as on Josh.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I hope Bouknight’s calf is OK and this isn’t a reoccurring thing.

Reaction Score
As mentioned in chat, Carlton has epoxy on the bottoms of his shoes.

Reaction Score
The missed bunnies were frustrating, but he clogged the lanes and was largely effective in keeping the opposing bigs at bay. He came very close to putting up a double double.
I'm praying for a Hiltonlike miracle.

Reaction Score
Hurley was singling out Whaley for strong defensive play at the end of the game. Called his name like 3 times to make sure he heard him.

Reaction Score
I think Whaley is trending more towards a Hilton-like leap. Carlton is on the Dan Cyrulik trend line.
That would be great too. I'd rather see a 260 lb Hiltonleap. ;)

We could have 6 seniors (counting R.J.) on the team playing significant or serviceable minutes next year. Don't know if we've ever had that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom