UNH Post Game Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UNH Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Then why not rep what you KNOW is going to work in real games…. Thats what doesn’t make any sense. Doing something over and over again expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.

We’re going to ask him to finish at the rim and he’s not going to be used to it because he wasted all that time practicing something that he was never going to make more than 30+% of the time. It’s stupid.

And the boneyard will say “He just wasn’t ready and he’s not confident. ” Well I wonder why. People keep telling him to ignore what he could be good at to do something he’s not good at. Setting him up for failure.
Remember last night when you were done making dumb comments on this subject? What happend to that?

Reaction Score
Says the guy who thinks he’ll never be a PG and wants him to be a 3 and D guy. But yeah, I’m the one who wants to limit his game.

Being De’Aaron Fox/Russell Westbrook would make him a lot more money than being Bruce Brown.
He's not a PG, which is fine, because he's going to be a great 2 guard for UConn. And if you think he's going to be an NBA PG you better hope he develops that 3 point shot you want him to ignore

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The pre season stuff about him being a great shooter needs to be thrown out at this point though, we have enough evidence that he’s not that guy. It’s not a slump, it’s his career body of work.

His career body of work is 7 games. This is an absurd overreaction to a kid that is just getting comfortable at this level.

We had another kid that came in as a freshman and was said to be a really good three point shooter. In his first 12 games, he took 28 3s and shot 25% on them. I'm really glad that Jim Calhoun didn't take Jeremy Lamb aside and kill his confidence by telling him to stop shooting, because we would not have won the national championship if he did.

Solo has good form and has been almost exclusively taking 3s when he's wide open. He's also taking the ball to the rack when the opportunity presents himself. He's clearly very talented and just needs to get more comfortable at this level, like most freshmen.

Reaction Score
His career body of work is 7 games. This is an absurd overreaction to a kid that is just getting comfortable at this level.

We had another kid that came in as a freshman and was said to be a really good three point shooter. In his first 12 games, he took 28 3s and shot 25% on them. I'm really glad that Jim Calhoun didn't take Jeremy Lamb aside and kill his confidence by telling him to stop shooting, because we would not have won the national championship if he did.

Solo has good form and has been almost exclusively taking 3s when he's wide open. He's also taking the ball to the rack when the opportunity presents himself. He's clearly very talented and just needs to get more comfortable at this level, like most freshmen.
No one wants Hurley to tell him to stop shooting, he just needs to get in the gym and hit more.

Also, if almost all of your 3’s are wide open and you are making 1/5, you’re just not that great of a shooter yet.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
No one wants Hurley to tell him to stop shooting, he just needs to get in the gym and hit more.

I mean, this was the first post on Ball in this thread.

My one actual worry from this game, Solo is shooting 21% from three this season yet 6 out of his 8 shots were from 3 today.

Praying someone tells him if he’s going to fail, fail on layups at the rim. Wasting developmental cupcake games settling for 3s he is not making when he’s a 95 percentile athlete in college basketball is frustrating.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

I’d like to point out Jeremy Lamb took 55 2s during that timespan and 29 3s. Almost double the amount of 2s.

No one is saying Solo should stop shooting altogether. But he should stop trying to center his game around 3 point shooting. Jeremy Lamb almost could not miss around the rim and I don’t think we ever saw him miss a floater either. He had other skills so it didn’t matter if he hit a 3 or not.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I’d like to point out Jeremy Lamb took 55 2s during that timespan and 29 3s. Almost double the amount of 2s.

No one is saying Solo should stop shooting altogether. But he should stop trying to center his game around 3 point shooting. Jeremy Lamb almost could not miss around the rim and I don’t think we ever saw him miss a floater either. He had other skills so it didn’t matter if he hit a 3 or not.

Thing is, he's not passing up a wide open lane to take the 3, or chucking up contested 3s. He's taking them when he's wide open. I agree that he should attack the rim when it's there, but right now his handle isn't tight enough for him to regularly succeed at fighting through contact in the paint. So I would not have him pass up a wide open 3 to go try to fight through defenders. He did that tonight and ended up turning the ball over.

Reaction Score

Also, if almost all of your 3’s are wide open and you are making 1/5, you’re just not that great of a shooter yet.
"Yet" is the important word here.
Early in the season, Hawk had a stretch (when he started getting real minutes) where he went 5-25 from 3. If he had just stopped shooting from distance he never would have had the crazy games he's had, and he wouldn't be being talked about in all the major media circles as a top rookie this year.

DH has seen Solo hit shots in practice. He also sees that he's rushing in games. When he slows down, he is betting that those practice results will translate. There is really no reason to disagree except for the fact that it hasn't happened yet, which isn't a good enough reason to stop trying. The sample is way too small. He has to take open 3's in games to start hitting open 3's in games.

Will Solo missing 3's be the reason we lose to kansas ? I dont know. Probably not. I can guarantee that he will be more discerning with his shot selection, as he was during the close texas game. But we will probably lose a couple games this season.....unfortunately. If it happens to be this one, at least it wont have been St Johns at home like last year.

Reaction Score
Marquette beat Kansas shooting 25 percent from 3.

We beat Texas and Indiana shooting 29% and 31% respectively.

I PROMISE y’all there’s other ways to win basketball games. And we are very good at other things.
I think the problem is that you're asking him to turn down open looks that his teammates and his coaches think he should take. Him taking those shots, even if he misses, helps our ball movement and makes offense easier for everyone else. I'd rather have him miss 3-4 shots a game than hesitate when he has a wide open corner 3.

Reaction Score
Because he's not going to listen to some random Boneyard poster on what he needs to work on in these tune up games, and listen to his national championship winning head coach instead. That's exactly why these games are on the schedule, so players can work on parts of their game. Just because you don't want him taking 3's doesn't mean Dan Hurley doesn't. For someone who claims to be such a big fan of Solo Ball you're really trying to limit his game
Exactly, he's doing what Hurley tells him or at least Hurley is fine with the shots he's taking. If he wasn't, Hurley would glue him to the bench.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I think the problem is that you're asking him to turn down open looks that his teammates and his coaches think he should take. Him taking those shots, even if he misses, helps our ball movement and makes offense easier for everyone else. I'd rather have him miss 3-4 shots a game than hesitate when he has a wide open corner 3.
Sorry if that’s what it sounds like I’m saying. I don’t think if he has an open look that he should pass the ball up. But most likely if he’s open for three, he’s also open for a drive to the rim.

That would make the offense just as easy because that was what Castle was doing before he was hurt.

This sounds exactly like the Andre conversation from last year.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Strange game for sure. You know it's a fun one when we get Ts on two of our coaches :D Even though it felt like the fouls were called against us UNH racked up plenty too.

Count me on the "not worried" train, this was the bad game pretty much every team has - and we won by 20. You know Dan is going to be rallying the team for Kansas and we should see a proper A game out of them.

I love the improvement in FT shooting by DC, hopefully he keeps it up - I've always thought he looked good shooting them, a lot better than the ~50% mark he had been getting.

Samson... glad to see he's showing up and proving why he's on the team. Such hops, much wow.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Andre couldn't shoot the ball, to the point where teams stopped guarding him on the perimeter. Apples and bowling balls.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why didn't we chuck our cutters?
Wouldn't we be chucking the other teams cutters?

Or did you mean to suggest that we should be checking our gutters. Timely advice this time of year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Solo won't be shooting more than 1-2 from deep a game vs real competition. I think he'll be bwtter suited in a 10-15 minute role. Not quite there yet.
Agree, but he's getting these minutes will speed up his development. He just needs enough time on the court for the game to slow down for him. He seems as if he's forcing things right now.

Reaction Score
Marquette beat Kansas shooting 25 percent from 3.

We beat Texas and Indiana shooting 29% and 31% respectively.

I PROMISE y’all there’s other ways to win basketball games. And we are very good at other things.
We shot 14% from three last night. We do that against Kansas and game over. Cam is fine. Need to get Karaban and Newton back to their normal three-point shooting percentages.

Getting Castle back will really help our three-point percentage. Tristen is better off the ball as a scorer and shooter than running the offense.

The ball doesn’t move as well with Tristen at point guard as it does with Castle. Tristen plays at a pace where sometimes the ball gets stuck with him and players are standing around watching.

By the way, can we please stop talking about Solo? He is the least important starter. Put the ball in the basket when he gets a chance, I really don’t care if it’s a two pointer or three pointer. The amount of discussion on this is ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Sorry if that’s what it sounds like I’m saying. I don’t think if he has an open look that he should pass the ball up. But most likely if he’s open for three, he’s also open for a drive to the rim.

That would make the offense just as easy because that was what Castle was doing before he was hurt.

I don't really understand how an open perimeter shot would mean he'd also be open to drive to the basket, isn't it usually the opposite? If the perimeter is open, the defense probably collapsed into the paint. In transition I guess that'd be true, but I can't really think of any transition 3's Solo has taken.

Reaction Score

He hasn’t looked good driving when he does anyway. He’s better off shooting the open 3 then driving and missing or turning it over. Even when Hurley changed things up for Andre last year he was still limited offensively, just didn’t kill us anymore.

Reaction Score
Nice to see that these tune-up cupcake games have really helped the BY posters get themselves into peak crazy-talk form.

Just some really wild borderline oblivious takes going on in this thread…not letting basic facts get in the way of opinions.

Big-boy part of the schedule starts Friday. Bring it on!

Reaction Score
Generally you can see if someone is a great shooter whether or not it goes in. Which sounds crazy... but even during Hawkins freshman season or Karaban during a slump (until recently), good shooters have consistent form and usually are backrimming misses.

Solo is all over the place with pretty inconsistent footwork. That makes me think he's still a year away from being a positive contributor from distance.

I bet if you were to splice all his 3s into one video (which I guarantee our video staff has done), you’d see his footwork and mechanics are really good on about ~60% of his shots. Those are the ones that went in or were dead-on but didn’t fall.

The best 3pt shooters that shoot in the 40-45% range (e.g., Cam probably have 90%+ reproducible shot mechanics on their attempts just to get to 40ish % makes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom