Underrated US Cities | Page 22 | The Boneyard

Underrated US Cities

Reaction Score
Hate to be picky about this, but pretty much any blue city with affluent/gentrified neighborhoods has at least one Bloodroot, as do many college towns. That a reputedly depressed city like Bridgeport supports one is the story.

If you like that kind of thing, visit Apteka next time you're in Pittsburgh. It's one a few, but it's routinely reviewed as best of that lot. It's pretty much all Eastern European vegan, if you like unique.
Apteka is super good. I'm vegan and have travelled the country extensively by car, and Apteka is one of the most memorable spots I've eaten at.

For Bridgeport vegan stuff, I'm a Bloodroot fan but Shandal's is the true gem.

Reaction Score
Apteka is super good. I'm vegan and have travelled the country extensively by car, and Apteka is one of the most memorable spots I've eaten at.

For Bridgeport vegan stuff, I'm a Bloodroot fan but Shandal's is the true gem.
Shandal’s! Yes! Went there before a Sound Tigers game and it was really awesome! The food was just “good” but the vibes were awesome. The owner is super nice and very could hang out there for hours.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The fact that Portland OR has only been mentioned twice in over 500 posts proves that it's the answer doesn't it? Portland ME has been mentioned tons of times yet the OR version has everything ME has except more and better.

Reaction Score
The fact that Portland OR has only been mentioned twice in over 500 posts proves that it's the answer doesn't it? Portland ME has been mentioned tons of times yet the OR version has everything ME has except more and better.

i think both Portlands are properly rated

Reaction Score
Being
I'll vouch for Bridgeport.
  • You want authentic ethnic food at a reasonable price due to low rent?
  • Webster Bank arena is a totally acceptable place to watch hockey, basketball, other stuff. Also, they are converting the Bluefish stadium to an amphitheater.
  • Black Rock (RIP Acoustic Cafe)
  • The steady development of the old warehouses right near I-95 (Monger's Market, etc)
  • New-ish entertainment options in downtown (The Stress Factory, Bijou Theatre).
  • Great artist community (large spaces for cheap rent, really one of the few places in the state where an actual working artist can afford to work).
i be trying to tell people the food here in BPT is really good

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The ethnic food bit is legit, too. Only Bridgeport could have somewhere like Bloodroot - it's awesome.
I think that Noel & Selma might wonder about feminist vegetarianism being implied as an ethnicity. As to the later mention here that Blood root isn't all that unique, it sure was 40 years ago when I declined in puzzlement the desert suggestion of pumpkin tofu cheesecake.

I remember a huge whiff of ganja coming out from Shandal's when I first encountered it by happenstance a dozen year ago. I've had similarly fine Caribbean vegetarian food in Jamaica, Queens near JFK, in New Haven's 9th Square, and at Fire & Spice on Capitol Ave in Hartford. It's definitely an identifiable cuisine.

Back to Bridgeport specifically, my first indoor restaurant meal in quite some time was at Ceviche Palace on East Main Street a couple Sundays ago after wandering the vast Mongers Market for a couple hours.

Might be doing a bike tour in Bridgeport tomorrow morning, as well. I suppose that Bridgeport as to New Haven can play out somewhat like Oakland or St Paul do to San Francisco or Minneapolis respectively.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I think that Noel & Selma might wonder about feminist vegetarianism being implied as an ethnicity. As to the later mention here that Blood root isn't all that unique, it sure was 40 years ago when I declined in puzzlement the desert suggestion of pumpkin tofu cheesecake.
Having lived in Bridgeport in the late 80s, I'd never heard of Bloodroot before I moved there. But I'd known about Moosewood in Ithica for years and I'd never even been to Ithica at that point and really wanted nothing to do with vegetarian or vegan places. Moosewood inspired hundreds of vegetarian/vegan restaurants at a level similar to Alice Waters inspiring farm-to-table restos.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Having lived in Bridgeport in the late 80s, I'd never heard of Bloodroot before I moved there. But I'd known about Moosewood in Ithica for years and I'd never even been to Ithica at that point and really wanted nothing to do with vegetarian or vegan places. Moosewood inspired hundreds of vegetarian/vegan restaurants at a level similar to Alice Waters inspiring farm-to-table restos.
All true.

I've been visiting my sister during her summers (and now year round) in Ithaca & north for nearly three decades, so I'm well-acquainted with Ithaca & Moosewood

As to Bloodroot, by my perception, it has often given off a chilly vibe toward men, but things jumped noticeably in my favor after one time when I encountered my original yoga teacher. A connection was made because one of the two restaurant partners did a class at a different time & location with Sophie, one which I later joined occasionally. It was like I got issued a credible ally card.

Then again, it had felt like an understandable, "Yeah, we don't get treated so great out in most of the world, so allow our cold attitude to raise your consciousness some." I've known men who have stayed away.

Reaction Score
All true.

I've been visiting my sister during her summers (and now year round) in Ithaca & north for nearly three decades, so I'm well-acquainted with Ithaca & Moosewood

As to Bloodroot, by my perception, it has often given off a chilly vibe toward men, but things jumped noticeably in my favor after one time when I encountered my original yoga teacher. A connection was made because one of the two restaurant partners did a class at a different time & location with Sophie, one which I later joined occasionally. It was like I got issued a credible ally card.

Then again, it had felt like an understandable, "Yeah, we don't get treated so great out in most of the world, so allow our cold attitude to raise your consciousness some." I've known men who have stayed away.
Sounds like a really strange business model.

Reaction Score
All true.

Did you ever see the albino deer in or around Ithaca? Pretty wild..Was there for a wedding and they were walking around right off of the campus of Cornell

Reaction Score

I remember a huge whiff of ganja coming out from Shandal's when I first encountered it by happenstance a dozen year ago. I've had similarly fine Caribbean vegetarian food in Jamaica, Queens near JFK, in New Haven's 9th Square, and at Fire & Spice on Capitol Ave in Hartford. It's definitely an identifiable cuisine.

Back to Bridgeport specifically, my first indoor restaurant meal in quite some time was at Ceviche Palace on East Main Street a couple Sundays ago after wandering the vast Mongers Market for a couple hours.

Might be doing a bike tour in Bridgeport tomorrow morning, as well. I suppose that Bridgeport as to New Haven can play out somewhat like Oakland or St Paul do to San Francisco or Minneapolis respectively.
Disagree with your last take but being a BPT head I might be a little biased

Reaction Score
Did you ever see the albino deer in or around Ithaca? Pretty wild..Was there for a wedding and they were walking around right off of the campus of Cornell

My dad gives off a bit of the Clark W. Griswold vibe sometimes. I’ll never forget driving through the California mountains on our way to Point Reyes or Yosemite or something in the mid 80’s. My dad was eagerly reading all the great things to see and do and telling us kids about them as my mother drove. Most of it was not very exciting to us at all. My dad said, “Guys, look out for an albino deer, apparently there are a few around and they are extremely rare.” I looked out the window and said, “There’s one”. My dad was like “yeah right”. Standing right there, 20 feet away, was a big, white albino deer. We still laugh about that.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Disagree with your last take but being a BPT head I might be a little biased
It was a speculative comment, and actually meant as a positive.

I lived in the North End on Lake Forest for 7 years, before moving to Westville. I prefer New Haven overall, though I like having familiarity with and access to both cities.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I've only known of them as living within the former Seneca Army Depot, a bit north of my sister.

Somewhere I got the impression that they were rounded up and now have a paid admission tourist attraction status. Never seen them in or out of captivity.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Sounds like a really strange business model.
Yeah, the vibe could be seen as akin to Seinfeld's Soup Nazi at times.

For a long time, they operated with hand-written meal slips, no cash register, adding up the bill with a calculator, and the expectation that you knew the drill. There was chilly & impatient attitude if you didn't.

Then again, across 40+ years, things can and have changed, and for all I know someone might read this and respond, "That's such a 2009 description."

Reaction Score
My dad gives off a bit of the Clark W. Griswold vibe sometimes. I’ll never forget driving through the California mountains on our way to Point Reyes or Yosemite or something in the mid 80’s. My dad was eagerly reading all the great things to see and do and telling us kids about them as my mother drove. Most of it was not very exciting to us at all. My dad said, “Guys, look out for an albino deer, apparently there are a few around and they are extremely rare.” I looked out the window and said, “There’s one”. My dad was like “yeah right”. Standing right there, 20 feet away, was a big, white albino deer. We still laugh about that.
Along the same lines.. Hans might get a kick out of this.. Going to Ithaca again .. An hour or two from Cornell-our destination.. I'm riding shotgun and kind of spacing out-We're in farm country. I look to the left at a small farm and see a camel laying down under a tree in the shade. For the record-- I was stone sober!!

We talked about that for the whole weekend and agreed to look for him on our way home. Sure enough.. There he was..

Turns out that this farm was a rescue facility for retired circus animals. Saw my first camel(and albino deer) on the way to Ithaca/Cornell.

Can't make this "stuff" up.

Reaction Score
It was a speculative comment, and actually meant as a positive.

I lived in the North End on Lake Forest for 7 years, before moving to Westville. I prefer New Haven overall, though I like having familiarity with and access to both cities.
Nice I’m right on Griffin ave and chopsey hill

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Nice I’m right on Griffin ave and chopsey hill
Not even "practically" neighbors - I lived on Chopsey Hill, across the street from the school, about a half dozen houses up from Griffin.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Montclair NJ.
After living in Manhattan, moving to Montclair with my ex was like night and day. Loved my time there.
Among other things, it was a popular destination for folks from Park Slope, Hoboken, and Upper West Side, after the birth of their 2nd child.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Among other things, it was a popular destination for folks from Park Slope, Hoboken, and Upper West Side, after the birth of their 2nd child.
For a town of less than 40K, it's got pretty much any food you'd want, plus a couple of excellent arts festivals.

And for me, a key attraction was being only 12 minutes from Star Tavern, which is the best proxy for Colony pizza I've found to date.

Reaction Score
Montclair NJ.
After living in Manhattan, moving to Montclair with my ex was like night and day. Loved my time there.
Surprised to hear this town mentioned. Granted I have no concept of it, but I lived around there for a few years when I was really young, and both my parents went to Montclair State. I always just assumed it was meh....because Jersey

Reaction Score
Birmingham

Five Points Birmingham (fivepointsbham.com)

1620753906220.png

Reaction Score
Surprised to hear this town mentioned. Granted I have no concept of it, but I lived around there for a few years when I was really young, and both my parents went to Montclair State. I always just assumed it was meh....because Jersey
IKR. I was pleasantly surprised since Jersey to me was smokestacks in Elizabeth & concrete in Newark. But I realized there’s a reason it’s called the Garden State. Really nice areas, lots of greenery in the Montclair area. Too many upper west side transplants of course, but overall a really great location.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom