Underrated US Cities | The Boneyard

Underrated US Cities

Reaction Score
In spirit and celebration to people returning to travel again, which US cities did you enjoy when visiting/living in but aren't "well-known" popular or trendy spots?

Salt Lake City: Granted, I was here during March Madness, but it's surrounded by the Rockies, a walkable downtown and despite an inability to drink super well, enjoyable restaurants/bars/breweries. I was there for basketball, but enjoyed the city much more than I expected I would.

Fargo, ND: My in-laws grew up in hour outside of the city and I was there for a North Dakota State game, which was fun. However, I really liked the downtown, the Donaldson is an incredible hotel and overall had a nice vibe.

Rapid City, SD: Smack in the middle of touristy areas, Grand Rapids is a surprisingly "cool" city, despite being very family/touristy friendly. Street art, good food, fun city!

Flagstaff, AZ: I hated Sedona, but loved Flagstaff. Incredible weather, beautiful scenery, excellent food. Still has the new age-y stuff of Sedona, just in a much more approachable and "tasteful" way.

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Asheville NC:

One of if not the best craft brewery scenes in the country nestled in the blue ridge mountains.
Overrated IMO. Sierra Nevada and New Belgium don’t move my “best craft brewery scene” needle too much. Anyone I’ve met from there is completely smug and full of themselves.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Almost need to break this in to some subcategories.
City size and regional size being biggest factors.
Also, why is it underrated? Food, culture, scenery/outdoors, etc?

Reaction Score
Asheville NC:

One of if not the best craft brewery scenes in the country nestled in the blue ridge mountains.

Asheville is a well known tourist destination. Fiance grew up in the area. I hate it... It's full of hippie brewboys, folks playing the acoustic guitar on the street, and wealthy white people who choose to live in vans for social media clout. If anything it's overrated. I don't see the point of the city really. Just get out in the mountains.

I enjoyed the bbq in lexington nc, and Silva NC. Boone is okay too

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Asheville is a well known tourist destination. Fiance grew up in the area. I hate it... It's full of hippie brewboys, folks playing the acoustic guitar on the street, and wealthy white people who choose to live in vans for social media clout. If anything it's overrated. I don't see the point of the city really. Just get out in the mountains
The Office Reaction GIF

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
In spirit and celebration to people returning to travel again, which US cities did you enjoy when visiting/living in but aren't "well-known" popular spots?

Salt Lake City: Granted, I was here during March Madness, but it's surrounded by the Rockies, a walkable downtown and despite an inability to drink super well, enjoyable restaurants/bars/breweries. I was there for basketball, but enjoyed the city much more than I expected I would.

Fargo: My in-laws grew up in hour outside of the city and I was there for a North Dakota State game. However, I really liked the downtown, the Donaldson is an incredible hotel and overall had a nice vibe.

Grand Rapids, SD: Smack in the middle of touristy areas, Grand Rapids is a surprisingly "cool" city, despite being very family/touristy friendly. Street art, good food, good city!
Salt Lake is really nice but it’s dead after 7pm.

I’d vote Burlington VT, Murfreesboro TN, and Savannah GA

Reaction Score
A friend from high school moved there after college and absolutely loves Charlotte. It's on my list of "potential retirement places" to check out.

Definitely don't teach in that state lol. My fiance's sister's principal at a hs of 1000 kids makes less than I do.

Also...
I'll 2nd Burlington. Went to college in the area.

Lake Placid/Saranac in upstate NY are a blast.

Those towns in NC I mentioned.

I really enjoyed Moab Utah. Basically any small town in the SW near national parks.

Idk if I'd call any of them underrated though

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Salt Lake is really nice but it’s dead after 7pm.

I’d vote Burlington VT, Murfreesboro TN, and Savannah GA

I would suggest Beaufort, SC over Savannah or Charleston.

IMO both Savannah and Charleston are pretty well rated or known for what they offer.

Beaufort splits the difference between the two and has some small town charm.
Savannah is about 45 min and Charleston is a bit over an hour.

Beaufort is also close to Hilton Head without all the old retiree trappings of Hilton Head.

Reaction Score
Asheville is a well known tourist destination. Fiance grew up in the area. I hate it... It's full of hippie brewboys, folks playing the acoustic guitar on the street, and wealthy white people who choose to live in vans for social media clout. If anything it's overrated. I don't see the point of the city really. Just get out in the mountains.

I enjoyed the bbq in lexington nc, and Silva NC. Boone is okay too
I hate Asheville, everything you said is 100% true.

Reaction Score
Fairhope Alabama is on the gulf coast along Mobile Bay. Very nice downtown with tons of quaint shops!
Prior to the pandemic always had something going on with truly great community spirit.
Low cost of living and the people are very friendly and genuinely nice!
Not the biggest city but given the problems recently with the Gotham’s who needs it.
I am a Yankee enjoying the the slow pace and warm people, plus it doesn’t snow!

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I've been all around the US. Burlington, VT is one of my absolute favorites. Not a suit in sight, and the beer, food, and recreation are top notch, year round.

Love the Hartford love from @KSC94

I'll nominate Pittsburgh, PA. Spent a week there once and loved it. And I know it's seasonal, but Provincetown, MA is a fun city.

Reaction Score
I hate Asheville, everything you said is 100% true.

Yup. My fiance grew up in the mountains, moved to Charlotte in hs, went to undergrad in Chapel Hill and law school in Durham before she moved up here for more school. We don't talk about it at home though because I end up yelling "77-74" and something about fake classes for football players sabotaging her degree every time. Too much pre-marital strife.

She is as NC as it gets: despite being a vegetarian since she was 13, she has STRONG opinions on western vs eatern Carolina BBQ, lol. And apparently, it doesn't count unless it's a whole hog. And she absolutely hates Asheville. We drive right by it when we go to visit her family.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Fairhope Alabama is on the gulf coast along Mobile Bay. Very nice downtown with tons of quaint shops!
Prior to the pandemic always had something going on with truly great community spirit.
Low cost of living and the people are very friendly and genuinely nice!
Not the biggest city but given the problems recently with the Gotham’s who needs it.
I am a Yankee enjoying the the slow pace and warm people, plus it doesn’t snow!

All Baldwin County is pretty good- Fairhope, Daphne,Spanish Fort, Foley, Orange Beach and Gulf Shores. Head tobtje gulf in Orange Beach or Gulf Shores and do day trips to the rest.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yup. My fiance grew up in the mountains, moved to Charlotte in hs, went to undergrad in Chapel Hill and law school in Durham before she moved up here for more school. We don't talk about it at home though because I end up yelling "77-74" and something about fake classes for football players sabotaging her degree every time. Too much pre-marital strife.

She is as NC as it gets: despite being a vegetarian since she was 13, she has STRONG opinions on western vs eatern Carolina BBQ, lol. And apparently, it doesn't count unless it's a whole hog. And she absolutely hates Asheville. We drive right by it when we go to visit her family.

Absolutely gotta chop the whole hog and eastern Carolina vinegar and pepper based is the better sauce. Add some white lightning shine to the sauce to give a bit more twang.

Reaction Score
Burlington is a great place. I also like Portland ME, though it probably isn’t underrated. Saratoga and Lake Placid NY are great. Cincinnati is surprisingly cool as is Pittsburgh.

And yes, Hartford. Simply because West Hartford, Glastonbury etc. are dope and most everywhere else in America, they’d be in Hartford. The first time I took my wife to West Hartford we went looking for a house (we were considering moving back to CT). We got some slices at Luna and took a stroll. We went and looked at some beautiful homes and then had drinks and dinner in WeHa. Next day we went to a game at the Rent. She was totally ready to move. She came back to Florida and told everyone, “Believe it or not, Hartford is an awesome place.” She wasn’t getting the whole West Hartford/Hartford thing. To her, it was Hartford.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom