Undecided recruits | The Boneyard

Undecided recruits

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
We don’t usually have recruits at games on weeknights... unless they are local/regional. Most of our bigger recruits come for our Sunday games or even a big Monday night game.

I’m sure we had a bunch of recruits from SC/NC and perhaps Georgia there though.

Reaction Score
I'm sure some considering both schools were at least watching.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If they were not there (and most weren't or couldn't be) almost every one sure was watching the game.
What one could take away from it is undeniable. U Conn is head and heals above SC, and pretty much every other program. The coaching, execution, team work, etc, etc are above and beyond.
It is why they will continue to get some of the top recruits in the next few years classes. But again as stated by many others here, it is not for everyone, nor should it be.
Every recruit comes with a different background, makeup and real life circumstances that help them decide what's best for them. Hopefully they each make the best choices for themselves, and if not either make the best of it or decide to change it.
Until Geno, along with CD leave they will excel in recruiting. What happens after, remains to be seen.
Bronx23

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Point guard recruits should be specially excited if they noticed how the offense slowed down when Crystal Dangerfield hit the bench. A capable point guard would get immediate minutes.

Reaction Score
Mikayla Coombs is getting more minutes, at the expense of Molly, and is looking more comfortable each time she gets on the floor. This is the toughest position to play. So it'll take some time but I think Mikayla has the potential.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Fortunately for potential USC recruits, the game wasn't on prime time national TV.:rolleyes:
If I'm a teenage superstar, and not totally electronically challenged, I find a way to watch

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Point guard recruits should be specially excited if they noticed how the offense slowed down when Crystal Dangerfield hit the bench. A capable point guard would get immediate minutes.
It looked to me like Geno told the team to stop going for breakaways and start running the offense in the second half. That made sense. There were opportunities to score on breakaways but Kia or someone else would slow it down and run the offense. At least it seemed that way to me.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
If they were not there (and most weren't or couldn't be) almost every one sure was watching the game.
What one could take away from it is undeniable. U Conn is head and heals above SC, and pretty much every other program. The coaching, execution, team work, etc, etc are above and beyond.
It is why they will continue to get some of the top recruits in the next few years classes. But again as stated by many others here, it is not for everyone, nor should it be.
Every recruit comes with a different background, makeup and real life circumstances that help them decide what's best for them. Hopefully they each make the best choices for themselves, and if not either make the best of it or decide to change it.
Until Geno, along with CD leave they will excel in recruiting. What happens after, remains to be seen.
Bronx23
Next FEW years? How FEW is FEW?

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
It looked to me like Geno told the team to stop going for breakaways and start running the offense in the second half. That made sense. There were opportunities to score on breakaways but Kia or someone else would slow it down and run the offense. At least it seemed that way to me.
Yeah Kia becomes the defacto point guard when Crystal Dangerfield sits. She understands her limitations and has to slow things down. The problem I saw was the few clear shots taken when Crystal Dangerfield was out of the game. The shooting percentages dropped by around 15% which means the offense was not as efficient. I did not calculate the 3 point percentages for the second half, but I remember that they had many misses from 3 point after the half, while in the first half they were killing 3's.

they did slow down and run the half court more, but the half court was not very efficient without Crystal Dangerfield. perhaps it is a one game aberration. And perhaps I'm mistaken

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
While Dawn wants to credit her team's defense in the second half for the Huskies poor shooting, I do not believe that is the explanation. The Huskies just frankly shot the ball poorly, which could be attributed to a vicious reversion to the mean (uh uh) or to the edge being off which affected timing AND too much passing leaving a shooter who had not anticipated shooting with releasing the ball while thinking X should have shot.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
While Dawn wants to credit her team's defense in the second half for the Huskies poor shooting, I do not believe that is the explanation. The Huskies just frankly shot the ball poorly, which could be attributed to a vicious reversion to the mean (uh uh) or to the edge being off which affected timing AND too much passing leaving a shooter who had not anticipated shooting with releasing the ball while thinking X should have shot.
Duh, No Crystal Dangerfield:confused:

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Yeah Kia becomes the defacto point guard when Crystal Dangerfield sits. She understands her limitations and has to slow things down. The problem I saw was the few clear shots taken when Crystal Dangerfield was out of the game. The shooting percentages dropped by around 15% which means the offense was not as efficient. I did not calculate the 3 point percentages for the second half, but I remember that they had many misses from 3 point after the half, while in the first half they were killing 3's.

they did slow down and run the half court more, but the half court was not very efficient without Crystal Dangerfield. perhaps it is a one game aberration. And perhaps I'm mistaken

No, you're not mistaken. Usually things slow down a bit (change) when a starter leaves the game. It's definitely not he same when Lou goes out. It's not the same when Gabby goes out. We lose some rebounding potential and low post scoring when Pheesa goes out. So yes, things change a bit when Dangerfield goes out. I won't say the offense "bogs down", but it's a different dynamic when she's not running things from the point. The other starters have gotten use to her being out there. The way she creates things and sets them up. No one else on the team can run the offense like she can. And that's why she'll be the starting PG until she graduates. Remember how the starting unit was never the same when KML missed those 12 games with her arm injury?. No matter who they put in there (Gabby & Brianna Banks), it wasn't the same.....until she returned.

Last edited by a moderator:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Also, a letdown from the first half. Go back to UCONN's slaughter of several AAC teams - and Oklahoma:

OK - 1st half, outscored them by 15. 2nd half, only 9
Tusla - 1st half, 15, 2nd half 3
Tulane outscored us in the 4th Q by 3
We outscored Memphis by 4 in the 4th Q

Part of it is putting in the reserves (we were up 31 at the 5 minute mark vs. SC and they went on a 9-2 run to end the game. The other parts are a combo of letdown after the huge 1st half, and adjustments by the other team. Frankly, if we played SC again, I'd expect a similar result. I don't believe SC can hang with us for 40 minutes. 20, and maybe even 30, but not 40....

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I do not understand Dawn Staley. She was interviewed after the Missouri win and the TV crew asked her about the upcoming contest with UConn and she said (paraphrase): We're going to just go out there and play the game. It's not as important as an SEC game so kids just go out and play. Well, maybe that translates into we can't beat em so it's not important? Just a strange remark from someone given to strange remarks. The interview is down the page a bit, here: South Carolina Women's Basketball Clubhouse - Latest Headlines, Standings, Schedule, and Leaders

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Most coaches that play UConn in the middle of their Conference Schedule have downplayed the importance of the UConn game in comparison to a Conference Game. Probably the only reason they agree to play UConn is the Game is usually Nationally Televised and they get exposure win or lose. What I don't understand about this years schedule is why Miss St didn't make an effort to get UConn on their schedule. Yes, its a presumption on my part, but I can't see Geno turning down the game if Miss St approached UConn. Just imagine what the Crowd would have been like at either school. Unlike the So Carolina game, a UConn vs Miss St would have been a great game.

I do not understand Dawn Staley. She was interviewed after the Missouri win and the TV crew asked her about the upcoming contest with UConn and she said (paraphrase): We're going to just go out there and play the game. It's not as important as an SEC game so kids just go out and play. Well, maybe that translates into we can't beat em so it's not important? Just a strange remark from someone given to strange remarks. The interview is down the page a bit, here: South Carolina Women's Basketball Clubhouse - Latest Headlines, Standings, Schedule, and Leaders

Reaction Score

One can not replace a quality point guard. I guess Sue Bird has shown that her whole career. Kia is so much better because she doesn't have that responsibility most of the time. We partially lost last year to MS because while Saniya had an excellent senior season, she was not either a true quality point guard.
Bronx23

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Most coaches that play UConn in the middle of their Conference Schedule have downplayed the importance of the UConn game in comparison to a Conference Game. Probably the only reason they agree to play UConn is the Game is usually Nationally Televised and they get exposure win or lose. What I don't understand about this years schedule is why Miss St didn't make an effort to get UConn on their schedule. Yes, its a presumption on my part, but I can't see Geno turning down the game if Miss St approached UConn. Just imagine what the Crowd would have been like at either school. Unlike the So Carolina game, a UConn vs Miss St would have been a great game.

Vic is basking in the light of their surprising upset and getting all the juice out of it, recruiting and otherwise, that he can. Why risk flipping the switch on that prematurely? I think that would be his thinking if presented with the opportunity. Also, I do believe that both programs had their seasons fully lined up when that freakish thing happened last April.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom