OT: Unconsumer friendly pub... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Unconsumer friendly pub...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Um, no. I asked a question & didn't get a satisfactory answer as far as I was concerned. There are plenty of other establishments in town to patronize. I'm choosing that option. It's my prerogative.

Of course it is. But then you say "too bad because they have live bands"...which means that you might actually want to go there at some point. So you have taken what is a pretty minor transgression and arbitrarily decided to potentially deprive yourself of future happiness over it. Which doesn't make any sense to me. So is this one of those things where if you are supposed to meet someone and they suggest meeting at the secret unnamed terrible bar you regale them with tales of the time you thought you should have paid $2 less and therefore you refuse to go there?

I'd be with you if you if anyone was rude or insulting to you. But that doesn't seem to be the case based on your post. Which means this ought to be an amusing anecdote, but not something that drives future behavior. At the end of the day, you paid $3.50 for a beer that should cost $3.50. And had you asked upfront and said "does the special apply to Two Roads?" - they would have told you no, and you probably would have bought the Two Roads anyway and been happy. I doubt you would have stormed out of the place in disgust, and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have ordered a Bud Light instead to save $1.

(or maybe because I drink scotch I just can't wrap my head around anyone complaining about paying $3.50 for anything)

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Actually the letter of law usually trumps the spirit of it. This isn't really a legal issue given the cash value involved. It's a marketing one. Make your signs clear and if you don't give the customer the benefit of the doubt. They had an opportunity to turn the negative of an unclear sign into customer loyalty at a nominal cost. They didn't. Bad call.

As an aside, why do people always assume that the "right" answer is in the middle? Isn't that contingent on the reasonableness of the two starting positions?
The point of me saying "the Spirit of the law rightfully trumps the letter," is incident to this case only. Of course it is not a legal issue, but that's how the common wording of the saying goes. I wasn't aware that needed clarification. So I should have used the word, "Policy," but hung up on that word indicates to me that you missed my point, when our views are probably pretty similar.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Of course it is. But then you say "too bad because they have live bands"...which means that you might actually want to go there at some point. So you have taken what is a pretty minor transgression and arbitrarily decided to potentially deprive yourself of future happiness over it. Which doesn't make any sense to me. So is this one of those things where if you are supposed to meet someone and they suggest meeting at the secret unnamed terrible bar you regale them with tales of the time you thought you should have paid $2 less and therefore you refuse to go there?

I'd be with you if you if anyone was rude or insulting to you. But that doesn't seem to be the case based on your post. Which means this ought to be an amusing anecdote, but not something that drives future behavior. At the end of the day, you paid $3.50 for a beer that should cost $3.50. And had you asked upfront and said "does the special apply to Two Roads?" - they would have told you no, and you probably would have bought the Two Roads anyway and been happy. I doubt you would have stormed out of the place in disgust, and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have ordered a Bud Light instead to save $1.

(or maybe because I drink scotch I just can't wrap my head around anyone complaining about paying $3.50 for anything)
I think he paid $7.

Reaction Score
TRest said:
I think he paid $7.

While I think this is a common misunderstanding in many, many bars, it isn't really hard to understand why some people think it is a big deal. Part of it is generational. If Coachcap is over 55, he is from an era where money is held onto a bit tighter and where people say what they mean with actual words rather than symbols, abbreviations and generally lazy and incoherent forms of English.

Also, if it were some friends and I, we would have had several beers each so that $5 would have resulted in a huge bar tab relative to the expected tab. This doesn't matter to many of us but remember, some people consider a night out to be treat due to lack of discretionary funds or having been raised to respect every penny. Getting duped on $5 per drink seems worse to some people than others. While I agree coach should let it go and enjoy the place next time, his way of looking at it is common among people who expected reasonable thought to be put into something as simple as a beer sign. While I wouldn't have expected $2 microbrews, I learned not to expect them by either asking or getting a larger bill than I expected at one time. Honestly, I have to admit that I am pretty sure it was the latter. Domestic mean domestic and the bar should make it clear if that is not the whole story.

Reaction Score
coachcap said:
$7.00 per Two Roads.

Then assuming you have probably had Two Roads before you couldn't have possibly thought that was a real price.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
The next time you walk into a pub, ignore anything you read about specials. They never pertain to good beer. Just ask for 4 of these black beauties and pay whatever the barkeep asks for, it will be worth it.
Just looking at this makes me want to go back to Ireland asap

View attachment 7922

Those bad boys are $2 all day and night, with Live music, at the Half Door in Hartford. Who says there are no good specials?

Reaction Score
Then assuming you have probably had Two Roads before you couldn't have possibly thought that was a real price.
That's not the point & you know it. The point is the signage was ambiguous. I didn't make an issue of it. I just don't like misleading advertising.

Reaction Score
That's not the point & you know it. The point is the signage was ambiguous. I didn't make an issue of it. I just don't like misleading advertising.

Ambiguous and misleading are two different things. I don't think there was an intent to deceive people into ordering more expensive domestic beers by putting that sign there. And BTW I assume you could have refused the beers and said, no I wanted something for $2.50 and they would have just poured them out and gave you a Bud Light. I'm with you 1000%, until the end where you say you would never go there again. I imagine that if I felt that way about every establishment that did me some sort of minor injustice over the years I'd probably have 500 places on my blacklist. I just try to save the blacklist for things that really matter.

And you came here to tell us about it. So you are making an issue of it. Kinda (since you won't name the place).

Reaction Score
Money, I won't argue with you but you assumption is wrong. I didn't notice the chalkboard until 5 minutes after I purchased the brew. It was then that I asked the question in conversation with the bartender. As for the name of the establishment, while I didn't outright name the place, I did give its location. Locals on the board will know it. Anyone who wants to know can google the name of the strip mall & find it.

Reaction Score
coachcap said:
Money, I won't argue with you but you assumption is wrong. I didn't notice the chalkboard until 5 minutes after I purchased the brew. It was then that I asked the question in conversation with the bartender. As for the name of the establishment, while I didn't outright name the place, I did give its location. Locals on the board will know it. Anyone who wants to know can google the name of the strip mall & find it.

So you were ok paying $7 per beer. Until later when you thought you got overcharged. Except that you weren't based on their policy. So the advertising didn't entice you to do anything. So now I'm really confused.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The most stunning piece of this thread to me is that 'Rochambeau Mall' still exists.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think the civilized world agrees that the word "domestic" when used in this context refers to the gamut of cheap mass market beers like Budweiser, Coors Light, etc.

Anyone who confuses the term should probably be refused service and then forcibly flung from the establishment.

Reaction Score
I think if you expect honesty from any restaurant/bar you will find yourself disappointed.

Reaction Score
Last night my wife & I went to a Christmas party. It got over at 9 P.M., so we went with 3 other couples to a pub that recently changed hands to watch the 2nd half of the UConn hoop game against Duke. The pub had signs & a chalkboard that said that domestic draft beers were $ 2.50 during NFL games. One of the TV's had the Thursday night game on. I ordered a Two Roads & was charged $ 7.00. When I asked about the signage, I was informed that:
Each sign had a picture of Bud light which was behind the promotion so only AB products qualified per the manager. When I countered that one doesn't get more domestic than brews from Stratford, the cutiepie behind the bar says "I know-right?"
So, because the management decided to be the Grinch, the establishment is now checked off of my bucket list. Been there-not going back. Too bad because they have live bands nightly.

You have to win at breakfast, lunch and then dinner, before you can win at ordering a beer after dinner hours. I think it's very clear that you didn't put the love and work into winning at breakfast, and that's why you failed at winning at ordering that beer for the price you wanted.

Reaction Score
Unless referencing Budějovický Budvar, the real, authentic stuff, it's astonishing anyone views AB Inbev's Budweiser as beer regardless of price. With great alternatives available at reasonable prices (not $10), even $2.50's a lot for the Belgian-Brazilian owned piss-water.

I've been to that original brewery and pub in Cesky Budevice. Whole bunch of trashed Czechoslovak soldiers in there, for literally days. I was crossing the border back into Austria near Linz shortly after, and stopped the car for the booth and the guard on duty I recognized from being in the pub. He did not remember me. He asked me why I was stopping. I asked him if he wanted to see my passport. He replied: "What for?" and waived me through.

True story.

Reaction Score
Most bars do that same thing. At a party a sign read Domestic $4, Import $6, and they charged me $6 for a Sam Adams. I made a joke to the poor sap working the bar and I don't think he understood that hauling a beer from Boston wasn't considered importing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom