Uncommitted Recruits Take Heed | The Boneyard

Uncommitted Recruits Take Heed

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Here's one for those youngsters to ponder. Can't buy stuff like this.

"Part of UConn’s pipeline to the WNBA can be explained by the preparation head coach Geno Auriemma puts his players through, Bird said. She explained the mental side becomes more important the further along you go as an athlete, and that’s a major piece to Auriemma’s program. He teaches his players how to deal with the pressure of playing at UConn, something that can be difficult for a young adult to handle, she said, and later make the transition into professional basketball easier.

“A lot of the stuff you see in the WNBA or overseas, we’ve already seen in college,” Bird said. “In some ways, college was harder in practice every single day getting challenged the way they challenge us.”

Influx of UConn players continues to dominate WNBA

"Not every player can play at Connecticut. I don’t care how good you are. That mentality — not everybody can deal with,” Johnson said. “That toughness, that yelling, that demand on you day in and day out, holding you accountable, coaching you and not taking it as criticism. The mental toughness of it all is what I’m most impressed with his players.”

“You come out here and you’re so used to preparing a certain way that the coaches love it,” Jefferson said. “You know they love the way you work hard, the way you just talk naturally, the way you’re pretty much a born leader when you come from UConn.”

“If he doesn’t prepare you, then I don’t know what does,” Stewart said.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That is some great stuff. And you don't hear WNBA coaches making those comments about other college coaches - not about Muffet, Kim, Tara, Brenda, Jeff, Joanne, etc. Those are some top notch current college coaches who you don't hear mentioned over and over as "great coaches who have prepared players for the pros". That is not to say that each of those programs has not produced talented pros, but none of them prepare kids the way Geno and co. do.

Reaction Score
If a kid is talented enough and the WNBA is where she wants to get to, there is no better place for them to go than UConn! That has been proven time and time again by the number of players got in the WNBA and the success they enjoy. Even players who were role players at UConn go on to have a career in the WNBA (Chong, Stokes, battle, JM, Swannier, Farris to name a few) and it's not by chance!

Reaction Score
If a kid is talented enough and the WNBA is where she wants to get to, there is no better place for them to go than UConn! That has been proven time and time again by the number of players got in the WNBA and the success they enjoy. Even players who were role players at UConn go on to have a career in the WNBA (Chong, Stokes, battle, JM, Swannier, Farris to name a few) and it's not by chance!
who's JM? I can't think of anyone with those initials right now...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
You look at players like Sue and DT, Maya and Breanna and they were going to succeed in the WNBA no matter where they went. The ones that impress me in terms of what Uconn training means are the non-superstar type of players - Swanier, Faris, J. Moore, Battle, Chong, etc. That they not only make rosters out of training camp but string together 4 and 6 year careers in the W when much more hyped players in their respective classes are long gone. The fundamental instruction and preparation they got from Geno et al is what sets them apart - the ability to contribute without needing the ball or being the focus of the team.

Edit - I see dtbtbtb had the same thought!

Reaction Score

"Part of UConn’s pipeline to the WNBA can be explained by the preparation head coach Geno Auriemma puts his players through, Bird said. She explained the mental side becomes more important the further along you go as an athlete, and that’s a major piece to Auriemma’s program. He teaches his players how to deal with the pressure of playing at UConn, something that can be difficult for a young adult to handle, she said, and later make the transition into professional basketball easier.

“A lot of the stuff you see in the WNBA or overseas, we’ve already seen in college,” Bird said. “In some ways, college was harder in practice every single day getting challenged the way they challenge us.”

"Not every player can play at Connecticut. I don’t care how good you are. That mentality — not everybody can deal with,” Johnson said. “That toughness, that yelling, that demand on you day in and day out, holding you accountable, coaching you and not taking it as criticism. The mental toughness of it all is what I’m most impressed with his players.”

“You come out here and you’re so used to preparing a certain way that the coaches love it,” Jefferson said. “You know they love the way you work hard, the way you just talk naturally, the way you’re pretty much a born leader when you come from UConn.”

So then, what you are really saying is that Saniya's performance is of no surprise to us?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So then, what you are really saying is that Saniya's performance is of no surprise to us?

You're right of course. Beyond the physical training and the techniques Geno and Co. pass down to the players there is the mental toughness and focus. Very much on display in Saniya's game. Young lady is true grit through and through.

Reminds me of something Lexi said in a Q & A video I saw the other day. Heard a variant of this any number of times from the recruits. She said in essence: You go there for a visit and it feels ... different. It's hard to describe, but you feel it." Serious people with serious purpose and on a mission, but still having fun together in the center of the women's basketball universe. I get it.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
who's JM? I can't think of anyone with those initials right now...

Joanne McCallie at Duke ......................if you weren't being facetious.

upload_2017-6-11_19-33-54.jpeg

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Saniya is a UConn product regardless of the round she was selected in. She brought a pedigree, understanding of the game, and a work ethic (demanded by the program) with her that no other draftee this year came with. The Wings's coach Fred Williams recognized it right away. It was reported that he had his eye on Chong during the season.

Williams served as an assistant coach at the University of Southern California from 1983 to 1990 and as head coach from 1995 to 1997. Williams coached the Utah Starzz (now the San Antonio Stars) of the WNBA from 1999 to 2001 and later served as an assistant coach with the Charlotte Sting. Williams coached the San Diego Siege of the NWBL, before joining the Atlanta Dream as an assistant coach in 2009. Williams is not a novice, he's been coaching for 33 years. He knows basketball.

Don't forget, she only played in 1 preseason game for Dallas before leaving the team to attend UConn's graduation commencement ceremonies. So she must have impressed the staff enough in practice and that 1 game to secure a roster spot. It appears that as the season goes on, she impressing them even more. She'll be even better next year. This year she came into the league wondering if she was good enough to play at this level. Next year she'll come to camp KNOWING she's good enough!!!

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Not only do Geno and his outstanding staff prepare the athletes for the next level, but his former players who are not playing overseas or playing anymore come back and practice with the team (s). Geno and staff also prepare the athletes for the future outside of basketball, because not all of them will go pro, and the athletes that do make it to the professional level will not play forever, so they will have to work in another profession.
Instead of other Coaches criticizing Geno, they need to talk with him and find out what he do.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Not only do Geno and his outstanding staff prepare the athletes for the next level, but his former players who are not playing overseas or playing anymore come back and practice with the team (s). Geno and staff also prepare the athletes for the future outside of basketball, because not all of them will go pro, and the athletes that do make it to the professional level will not play forever, so they will have to work in another profession.
Instead of other Coaches criticizing Geno, they need to talk with him and find out what he do.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Nice sentiments. However, as far as the other coaches go, I suspect that Geno has had a deleterious affect on many them to a deleterious effect on their player relations as they press to close the gap. Popped into my head and I had to share.

Reaction Score

you read it from former Uconn players--UCONN ISN'T FOR EVERYONE--EVEN EVERY GREAT PLAYER--UCONN IS HARD PHYSICALLY, MENTALLY, EMOTIONALLY--AND THEN THERE IS BASKETBALL--AND NO ONE MENTIONED THE REALLY TOUGH ONE CHRISTINE DAILEY.. MOM CD..

Reaction Score
You look at players like Sue and DT, Maya and Breanna and they were going to succeed in the WNBA no matter where they went. The ones that impress me in terms of what UConn training means are the non-superstar type of players - Swanier, Faris, J. Moore, Battle, Chong, etc. That they not only make rosters out of training camp but string together 4 and 6 year careers in the W when much more hyped players in their respective classes are long gone. The fundamental instruction and preparation they got from Geno et al is what sets them apart - the ability to contribute without needing the ball or being the focus of the team.

Edit - I see dtbtbtb had the same thought![/QUOTE '

You may be right about success without Uconn--thats kinda intuitive--I'm sure that is a given with DT --not so sure with Maya and Stew. Remember the freshman year of Stew--if she wasn't kicked in the head to get tough--her total career would have ended before it started. Maya was a sweet Georgia/Mo young lady--lady she was, nice, easy ---kinda laid back--no doubt mentally tough--yet her final game --was lost?? why ? Team failed her? o---UMiami--an endless discussion without a final finish--except on the WNBA court.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom