UNC vs UCONN | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UNC vs UCONN

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
UNC 71 McDonald's All Americans

UConn 11

6 - 1 in the Ollie era, and that 1 is Gilbert

Is somebody really comparing UConn's recruiting favorably to UNC's? UNC, Dook, UK, KU and I think UCLA land more of the highest rated players in the country and there's nobody else in that stratosphere. We've never recruited at their levels, never.

Last week and next week, the same crowd that's telling us this week we have better classes than UNC will tell us Ollie can't recruit. They're a moving target, whatever BS works best for them at any given moment, that's what they throw against the wall

What happened to kids don't want to play in a crap conference? Does that not apply this week either?

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
That Tennessee comparison is apt at this time for us. I don't give a flying ... what the "rankings" say. It's more about recognizing talent and potential regardless of where high school hoop hounds think kids are ranked. Yes, in the top 15 or so you definitely have highly talented players who are likely to play in the NBA. But if you can recognize talent and potential outside of that top 15, then teach them basketball and develop their individual skills, you can make a lot of noise. However, if you're bringing in kids with talent who are unable (or unwilling) to learn basketball on both ends of the floor and work to improve on their deficiencies then you've got nothing. It's also the case that if you're unable to teach basketball, and/or unable to motivate players to improve individually you've also got nothing.

Now obviously with the last 25 years of Husky basketball we don't just want to make noise. But I'd settle for that this year.

Reaction Score
UNC’s recruiting WAS at the top of the mountain for decades. It fell off a cliff about the time Calipari got to Kentucky and Capel got to Duke. With Jackson and Bradley gone, this is probably the nadir of UNC talent in the last 50 years outside 2002 (even then, 2002 might have had better talent given rankings, but youth and bad coaching made that a clusterfudge of unfathomable suckitude). Where 2017’s UNC talent rates compared to 2017’s UConn talent I’ll leave for others, but neither Jordan nor Ford, nor even Hansbrough nor Paige are on this year’s squad. Berry is the senior college star who came in rated around #30. Pinson is the only other top recruit really.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is somebody really comparing UConn's recruiting favorably to UNC's?

Pretty sure the numbers from my other comment very clearly state that UConn has outrecruited UNC 2 out of the past 3 years, in which those three years makeup the entirety of UConn's roster.

edit: grammar fix

Reaction Score
But the story of the year so far has been Luke Maye. Even after Kentucky, I didn’t see this jump up in production. He was a diamond-in-the-rough.
Or maybe he worked his butt off and has been well coached.

Reaction Score
I went to the UNC game last night. Give the current UCONN players to Roy Williams for six months and they would be ranked somewhere between 11 and 20. The passing, cutting, and effort reminded me of the UCONN women. A ballet.
This statement is not only untrue but it’s crazy. Let me ask this, could Roy Williams make our players grow 4” taller and get them to jump higher to out rebound Cuse the other night or was that just bad technique? He’s going to run that “ballet” with our roster? Even Roy and Coach K need talent to work with, and they get it, but we’re short.

Reaction Score
This statement is not only untrue but it’s crazy. Let me ask this, could Roy Williams make our players grow 4” taller and get them to jump higher to out rebound Cuse the other night or was that just bad technique? He’s going to run that “ballet” with our roster? Even Roy and Coach K need talent to work with, and they get it, but we’re short.
I’m not sure if you think UNC had any spare bigs after last season, but they all departed. Maye is the only returning scholarship player over 6’6”.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
I went to the UNC game last night. Give the current UCONN players to Roy Williams for six months and they would be ranked somewhere between 11 and 20. The passing, cutting, and effort reminded me of the UCONN women. A ballet.
Way too much credit to Roy, this team just isn't all that good. It's the island of misfit toys

Reaction Score
Great coaches take small teams and run circles around big teams. Great coaches take big teams and overpower small teams. Great coaches make decent talent great talent.

Bad coaches make small teams look small and big teams look slow. Bad coaches make talented teams look untalented.

You need to make a judgement as to whether or not it is the coach or the talent. My read is that our players are pretty good. Jalen, Terry, Christian and Anderson certainly are. Cobb is a fairly talented D1 level center. Diarra has a world of potential and lots of energy. Carlton and DO are on par with our second and third string centers of the past and Carlton should develop nicely. We need Gilbert and some minimal help from the freshmen, but this isn’t a bad team.

I want to be fair to KO and the players. We have so many new pieces and the injuries have been brutal. However, I can’t honestly say that AG makes this team that much better or that Cobb back in the mix will suddenly start winning us games. I wish we were slugging it out with the better teams and losing nail biters so I felt more optimistic. Instead, it seems like EVERYONE can challenge us and real power programs can easily dominate us. That isn’t a good sign. We are a sloppy team. We throw casual passes, we take bad shots and we turn the ball over. We just seem lost, and that’s coaching.

Reaction Score
According to 247

UNC -
Two 4* #38 and 130
Three 3* #194, 217, 266
Number 18 ranked class

UConn -
Three 3* #161, 175, and (whaley unranked by 247 but 3* on ESPN)
Plus Cobb, Anderson, DO
Number 85 ranked class

UNC -
5* #25
Two 4* #48 and 60
Number 14 ranked class

UConn -
FOUR 4* #32, 50, 77, 126
3* #166
Number 8 ranked class

UNC -
One 4* #96
one 3* #155.
Number 70 ranked class

UConn -
One 5* # 23
One 4* #84.
Number 47 ranked class

So no, UNC is not killing us in recruiting, they just develop their recruits.
Checkmate!

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Stand NC’s bigs against ours. You’re saying that our centers and power forwards (4 and 5 spots) are ranked better than theirs?

ESPN ranked Diarra ahead of every single big (Maye, Brooks, Huffman, Manley) who sees time in their rotation.

I don't really have a stake in this argument, but that's the truth.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
And I thought the "thing" with Diarra is that the only reason we offered him was to land Diallo. Is that no longer true? I'm having a hard time keeping up with the latest spin.

Does this mean he could be productive with time after missing a season with a knee injury?

So two our highly rated recruits have played < 10 games each and a third is now playing for New Mexico.

Does that mean anything to anybody? Or is all of that just another excuse?

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Ollie hasn't had this roster for 6 months

He's practiced with them just over two months, and played with them for one month

A very underrated point.

Not that there aren't real issues, but the time and amount they've had to gel isn't enough to make a full on, sweeping conclusions.

Again, not saying there's not plenty of evidence ... But that IS a factor.

Reaction Score
Stand NC’s bigs against ours. You’re saying that our centers and power forwards (4 and 5 spots) are ranked better than theirs?
It's about a dead heat. They only have four bigs, three of whom were from their 2017 class: Brooks (130), Huffman (194) and Manley (266). Maye – their star – was ranked 155 in the 2015 class.

For us, Mamadou was 126, Carlton 175, and Cobb and Whaley were both consensus 3-stars (figure around 200-250).

The highest-rated big either school has recruited in the last four years was Durham, though UNC did have Bradley as a one-and-done last year. Between Durham, Enoch and Mamadou, UConn's actually recruited more consensus 4-star bigs in the last few years than UNC has.

Ours just don't play as well for some strange reason.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom