OT: - UNC shuts down in person classes [merged thread] | The Boneyard

OT: UNC shuts down in person classes [merged thread]

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Shortly after opening up, UNC Chapel Hill shut down in person classes today after 130 students and 5 staff members tested positive for Covid-19. All classes will be taught remotely, and students will be offered refunds on residence fees.

What about football you ask? Football players, as well as other athletes, will be allowed to stay on campus for practice with the expectation that ACC games will take place. Well, at least we know what’s really important at UNC.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I thought the holy writ was that games could happen only if students were on campus. :confused:
I guess the football players are students, more or less, and even though they will be attending classes remotely, they will still be on campus. It does make you wonder what exactly UNC considers as its primary purpose.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't know what in the hell these Adults were thinking From the CNN article:

"We (UNC) are disappointed that many of our students chose to ignore Covid-19 public health guidance by congregating in a large group without social distancing or face coverings,"

OSU also struggling with COVID-19 clusters.

Oklahoma State sorority house placed in quarantine after 23 members test positive for Covid-19

Might as well adopt the CocoHusky plan. Everyone ( Kindergarden through college Juniors ) takes a year off.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That's probably the best idea I've heard. Essentially just stop the clock on everything. Not sure how teaches get paid or colleges stay in business though.
Unemployment? think of all the workers in the food services/restaurant industry that were told to stay home. The government can also fund massive amounts of faculty research and development and maybe something good comes out of it like a new vaccine or better ways to deliver distance learning.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don't know what in the hell these Adults were thinking From the CNN article:

"We (UNC) are disappointed that many of our students chose to ignore Covid-19 public health guidance by congregating in a large group without social distancing or face coverings,"
To paraphrase Inspector Renault, “I’m shocked, shocked to find that congregating in large groups is going on in here.”

Reaction Score
If you saw the Nightly News with Lester Holt earlier tonight, you saw hundreds of UNC students around the pool. Not a mask in sight. Then they showed a couple of thousand students at a night time outdoor party, no masks. The 135 will go ten fold by next week. They also mentioned break outs at UConn, Univ or Northern Georgia and Oklahoma State.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Sitting here in Storrs on the front lines of Uconn return to classes - in-person classes start Aug 31 and any returning students are required to quarantine 14 days before attending classes which means they are arriving as I type. I have locked my doors! But I heard a group of students carousing as they walked down my street around midnight two days ago.

Thinking of running to a small town in NH in a week or two when my supplies run out! :eek: Figure by the end of September the school may be all on-line again.

Reaction Score
This does not surprise me at all. I am a retired college administrator and I do not understand the thought process going on at so many of these universities. I just don't get it. My opinion, every college will shut down and go to on-line by mid September. That's like taking one step forward, then being bounced backwards 4-5 steps This is a once in three generation virus, once in a 100 years and we are suppose to be an advanced country.

As far as me back in the day, lets just say I'm glad they didn't have video cameras everywhere.

Reaction Score
I guess the football players are students, more or less, and even though they will be attending classes remotely, they will still be on campus. It does make you wonder what exactly UNC considers as its primary purpose.

I think they have spent the past few years making their purpose quite clear.

Reaction Score
Colleges spent all this money on testing protocols, air filters, etc. and what they really needed was police at every dorm that enforces no large gatherings. We learned NOTHING about why the outbreak happened again this summer in southern states. IMO, most small private colleges in the U.S. will be closed within 2 years. State schools will have to be subsidized to survive.

Reaction Score
Colleges spent all this money on testing protocols, air filters, etc. and what they really needed was police at every dorm that enforces no large gatherings. We learned NOTHING about why the outbreak happened again this summer in southern states. IMO, most small private colleges in the U.S. will be closed within 2 years. State schools will have to be subsidized to survive.
Where will the basketball teams play if there are no more schools?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The student paper in NC publishes:
includes 'clusterf...' so if you will be offended do not read, but accuses the Admin of treating students as cashcows and ignoring local health directives and CDC guidance.

The reality that we all know is 18-25 year olds (as well as younger people) as a whole do not have the awareness and experience to be disciplined in the face of a pandemic, nor the ability to filter all the conflicting noise being spread. (Not that those older and supposedly wiser are all that good at it either!)

Reaction Score
The University of North Carolina has discovered many infected students, and "The Daily Tarheel" went bonkers on the university's leaders:

"...(UNC) Provost Bob Blouin and the rest of the administration are far too eager to attribute blame to parties other than themselves. Matters are rarely as complex as UNC makes them seem. The chancellor of a public university with a multi-billion dollar endowment is hardly powerless — not now, not ever.

"We’re angry — and we’re scared. We’re tired of the gaslighting, tired of the secrecy, tired of being treated like cash cows by a University with such blatant disregard for our lives."

The Washington Post reports, "(UNC) officials announced the change after testing showed rapid spread of the virus — 177 cases of covid-19 were confirmed among students, out of hundreds of tests."

Dearly love to see our team play and win big. But how in the world does it come off?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Maybe October. Possibly November. December perhaps?

Reaction Score
College is prime time for reckless behavior and carefree “what me worry” attitudes. Nothing will ever change that! Whether schools are open or not, this cohort will find other ways to put themselves in harm’s way!

Reaction Score
Interesting. The students need guidelines (call them rules, laws, proclamations, whatever you like) to protect them from themselves. This is not all that unusual.
In real life there are many laws on the books that are designed for just that purpose.
Even in some sports, rules exist to protect owners from spending freely and as it often turns out, unwisely.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The decision by UNC to shut down in person classes and basically send everyone home, with the noted exception of the football team, lends more credence to the argument that it is long overdue for college athletes in revenue sports to be paid for their services.

What is the possible justification for singling out football players to stay on campus other than the fact that they bring in millions of dollars for the University?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom