unc is mad with officiating | The Boneyard

unc is mad with officiating

Reaction Score
ACC Provides Statement on Ted Valentine's Snub of Joel Berry

In the second half of Wednesday's North Carolina/Florida State game, UNC point guard Joel Berry went to referee Ted Valentine to discuss a non-call on a play. Berry believed he had been held by a Seminole defender on the play which inhibited his ability to receive a transition pass.

The play resulted in a UNC turnover.

As Berry, a senior, went to Valentine to discuss the lack of a call, Valentine turned his back and faced the crowd, essentially ignoring Berry. Check out the video of the incident here.

On Thursday, the Atlantic Coast Conference released a statement concerning the Valentine/Berry exchange to ABC11's Mark Armstrong:

The No. 12 Tar Heels fell to No. 24 Florida State 81-80 on Wednesday night to move to 12-3 on the season. UNC will take on No. 9 Virginia on Saturday at 1 pm in Charlottesville, Va

I just find it funny how unc can complain about officiating... uconn gets screwed time & time again on non calls !!

Reaction Score
Nuts, those UNC teams are almost always good, no doubt, but are also proped up by numerous calls benefiting them per game or various 50/50 calls almost always going their way.

Imagine if he had to play for Uconn instead of Jalan, where your opponent can take 41 threes (out of 64 shots) and still take 22 more freethrows...He would literally spontaneously combust...

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

In the second half of Wednesday's North Carolina/Florida State game, UNC point guard Joel Berry went to referee Ted Valentine to discuss a non-call on a play. Berry believed he had been held by a Seminole defender on the play which inhibited his ability to receive a transition pass.

As Berry, a senior, went to Valentine to discuss the lack of a call, Valentine turned his back and faced the crowd, essentially ignoring Berry. Check out the video of the incident here.

On Thursday, the Atlantic Coast Conference released a statement concerning the Valentine/Berry exchange to ABC11's Mark Armstrong:

The No. 12 Tar Heels fell to No. 24 Florida State 81-80 on Wednesday night to move to 12-3 on the season. UNC will take on No. 9 Virginia on Saturday at 1 pm in Charlottesville, Va

I just find it funny how unc can complain about officiating... uconn gets screwed time & time again on non calls !!

Funny considering the refs were their best player during their run last year.

Did Higgins get his ring yet?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
maybe Berry wanted to borrow Valentine's crib notes for the "class" they are "attending" at UNC's famous no class all purpose major program and Teddy was looking for the dude he leant them to in the FSU crowd?

Reaction Score
Funny considering the refs were their best player during their run last year.

Did Higgins get his ring yet?
Uh oh, did you get your lawsuit summons yet?

Reaction Score
Ted Valentine is seriously awful. That was straight disrespectful, demeaning, and totally uncalled for IMO. Berry is 22, would you turn your back to a 22 year old in your office? There’s a reason they call him TV Teddy.

Reaction Score
Ted Valentine is seriously awful. That was straight disrespectful, demeaning, and totally uncalled for IMO. Berry is 22, would you turn your back to a 22 year old in your office? There’s a reason they call him TV Teddy.

I don't know the whole story but I wouldn't compare it to working in the office with someone. They aren't working for the same company in this case. If Berry had been whining all game then he deserves it, if he's begged for calls or answers all game then Teddy is right. An official is limited in how he can respond after all, maybe he was afraid to go off on the kid and say "Hey do you even know what classes you are taking or who's taking them for you?" LOL . Just saying 2 sides to every story.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Valentine has always been a . Nothing to see here. Wasn't he the one who got suspended by the Big 10? I can't remember the details and might be thinking of somebody else.

Reaction Score
Valentine has always been a . Nothing to see here. Wasn't he the one who got suspended by the Big 10? I can't remember the details and might be thinking of somebody else.

Yeah he is but as a ref he could also be attempting to not throw a T at the kid, that's my point. May have already told him "enough already"...but it's UNC so screw them T the kid up.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I find some obvious aspects of reffing lacking in basketball: not understanding game flow, how to communicate with coaches and players, keeping control of the game ... all severely lacking.

Basically everywhere but the NBA. The NBA refs are usually great.

High school and college, at all levels, is shockingly bad. Maybe 1/10 refs “get it.”

Reaction Score
I find some obvious aspects of reffing lacking in basketball: not understanding game flow, how to communicate with coaches and players, keeping control of the game ... all severely lacking.

High school and college, at all levels, is shockingly bad. Maybe 1/10 refs “get it.”

They really have no concept of the travel or the carry. It's inconsistent ref to ref and the reason is they now allow both more often than not. Totally different game these days with the carry being a big part of the first step, I can't grasp it but wish we were able to do that back in the day lol.

Reaction Score
Valentine should be disciplined for that behavior. Officials talk about players not "showing them up" all the time, but that's exactly what he did to Berry. There's no need for that disrespect. It's childish. Valentine has been a as long as he's been around, this isn't surprising.

The NCAA's blind eye to UNC's transgressions has nothing to do with what happened on the court.

Reaction Score

I wish Ollie would complain! It obviously works.

the Q

Reaction Score

Strongly disagree. I take it you’ve never officiated before.

the Q

Reaction Score
They really have no concept of the travel or the carry. It's inconsistent ref to ref and the reason is they now allow both more often than not. Totally different game these days with the carry being a big part of the first step, I can't grasp it but wish we were able to do that back in the day lol.

It’s embarrassing how no refs at the college or pro level have any idea what a travel or carry is. I blame it on the NBA just flat out ignoring it wih Jordan and then Iverson and it just trickled down.

the Q

Reaction Score

I almost choked because of this.

Game 7.

2010 Finals.

End thread.

NBA might get game flow.

But that's about it. Rules and judgement are embarrassingly low. They're a big reason why i just gave up on the NBA as a whole. It's sports entertainment.

Reaction Score
I wish Ollie would complain! It obviously works.
That’s what I’m saying!! He needs to complain about the lack of calls and for some of the bad calls that goes against us! Prime example was when kwintin was hacked on a rebound or put back but then same possession he gets called for a foul for being too close to his man really you call that lol

I have yet to see Ollie toss his blazer down or take it off aggressively and get in the face of the officials ..! I don’t think he received a technical at all this season

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom