Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Netflix | The Boneyard

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Netflix

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I have liked this show since the beginning. It works on two levels, both as a basic, clever comedy that is kind of a poor woman's 30 Rock, and as a biting satire of modern culture and more recently political correctness.

The acting is excellent, the cameos are hilarious, and the satire is cutting to the point of cruelty. The reviews for season 3 were mixed, because a lot of reviewers didn't like the show's attacks on political correctness. I thought season 3 started very slow through about episode 4, but closed really strong and the criticism of political correctness was the most intelligent and insightful of any show I can think of.

The Columbia University crew team scenes are so funny and simply devastating to political correctness. This is not easy to pull off, because most times a show critiques PC culture it feels very whiny, preachy and snowflakey. Or, like with Master of None, the show regurgitates stereotypes but thinks it is OK because the lead character is a minority. Tina Fey (who I believe is an EP) has gone after gender stereotypes and double standards before, but this show takes it to a new level. The standoff at Gretchen's shack was as funny as anything I have seen on TV. Kimmy Schmidt just takes swings at everyone, and even when it misses, it is still pretty good.

Reaction Score
I have liked this show since the beginning. It works on two levels, both as a basic, clever comedy that is kind of a poor woman's 30 Rock, and as a biting satire of modern culture and more recently political correctness.

The acting is excellent, the cameos are hilarious, and the satire is cutting to the point of cruelty. The reviews for season 3 were mixed, because a lot of reviewers didn't like the show's attacks on political correctness. I thought season 3 started very slow through about episode 4, but closed really strong and the criticism of political correctness was the most intelligent and insightful of any show I can think of.

The Columbia University crew team scenes are so funny and simply devastating to political correctness. This is not easy to pull off, because most times a show critiques PC culture it feels very whiny, preachy and snowflakey. Or, like with Master of None, the show regurgitates stereotypes but thinks it is OK because the lead character is a minority. Tina Fey (who I believe is an EP) has gone after gender stereotypes and double standards before, but this show takes it to a new level. The standoff at Gretchen's shack was as funny as anything I have seen on TV. Kimmy Schmidt just takes swings at everyone, and even when it misses, it is still pretty good.
Absolutely LOVED the first season. My wife and I didn't make it through the first few episodes of season 2. Worth going back to?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Just started watching it. Highlight for me is definitely Carol Kane.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Absolutely LOVED the first season. My wife and I didn't make it through the first few episodes of season 2. Worth going back to?

It is a machinegun approach to comedy, and a lot of it misses, but it is hilarious when it hits.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
It is a machinegun approach to comedy, and a lot of it misses, but it is hilarious when it hits.

I thought it was losing steam when a couple of episodes had extended musical interludes featuring Titus, but once it got to Columbia, oh my.

"Just put on a holocaust movie until I get there," is a line I'm dying to use.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom