Ummm... Warde? | The Boneyard

Ummm... Warde?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
are you still monitoring the situation? The BE is just about dead. What's the game plan dude? it would seem neccessary for uconn to at least have some conference affiliation for its sports outside Hockey... I think we're past monitoring...

Reaction Score
Or for starters, can GDL. Anything. We're getting left in the dust by the college sports world. Just show us some vital signs, Warde. Even a pulse.

98Uconn

NL1MF
Reaction Score
Finalizing details of our B1G contract
B1GXmas

Reaction Score
We have to be invited. What would you like him to do?
Ok... so if you were AD, you would go in each day, check the mail, see nothing, and then head off to watch the ladies BB play in the Virgin Islands?

Sorry, but that doesn't cut it...
Here's what he could do:
- Hold a press conference highlighting what his game plan is
- Assure the taxpayers of CT that there half a billion dollar investment into the Uconn athletic program is safe (even if its a lie right now)
- Call anyone and push Uconn ad-nauseum; shout it from the roof-tops
- hire a PR firm to push Uconn
- call legislatures to push Uconn nationally. Last I checked CT still had two senators

I'm not an AD but I'm sure there are many other things Warde could do besides check his mailbox for an invite. Hell, for whatever we're paying, HFD can rig something on the BY so when that Big10 invite comes, it pops up as a new thread.

If that's what you think an AD brings great. We just saved a couple hundred thousand a year. Personally, I think WM has a few more credentials and can do a little more than check the mailbox.

Reaction Score
Ok... so if you were AD, you would go in each day, check the mail, see nothing, and then head off to watch the ladies BB play in the Virgin Islands?

Here's what he could do:
- Assure the taxpayers of CT that there half a billion dollar investment into the Uconn athletic program is safe (even if its a lie right now)
- call legislatures to push Uconn nationally. Last I checked CT still had two senators

I'm not an AD but I'm sure there are many other things Warde could do besides check his mailbox for an invite. Hell, for whatever we're paying, HFD can rig something on the BY so when that Big10 invite comes, it pops up as a new thread.

If that's what you think an AD brings great. We just saved a couple hundred thousand a year. Personally, I think WM has a few more credentials and can do a little more than check the mailbox.
how is any of that going to help us get into a new conference? We have been a division I-a football team since 2000 is the state of ct not aware we have a football team. The acc is well aware we want in We need to win. We need generations of students and graduating classes to buy in and fill the rent It's going to take time. There is no quick fix.

We were passed up because we don't have a passionate fan base. Passion is when u show up when you are not winning. We need to change our culture in the stateand I'm not sure it's going to happen quickly.

Reaction Score

Here's what he could do:

I'm been saying this for the last few weeks Marty, Warde has to do more and tell us where we heading or at least where he would like us to go. We laughed at Rugers for saying they would like to go in B1G, well the jokes on us.

Right now, we have a football coach that should be fired and a basketball coach that should be hired. I would laugh my ass off if another school snatched Ollie up. Sign him up now with a three deal with a cheap buy-out.

Go UConn and hang in there.

Reaction Score
how is any of that going to help us get into a new conference? We have been a division I-a football team since 2000 is the state of ct not aware we have a football team. The acc is well aware we want in We need to win. We need generations of students and graduating classes to buy in and fill the rent It's going to take time. There is no quick fix.

We were passed up because we don't have a passionate fan base. Passion is when u show up when you are not winning. We need to change our culture in the stateand I'm not sure it's going to happen quickly.

OK. I here you. But that's not CT... As a former CT resident, the state roots for winners. And if you're not winning, you'd better make it seem like you had a chance. Compete... That's what CT fans want.

Even when Uconn BB struggles the fans have little patience. Calhoun with all his success struggled when they didn't make the tourney. That's a 3 time national championship program. At least they've got the reputation to get games against top 10 teams so people are still attracted.
you think a program being run by a re-tread with no pizazz that struggles to hit .500 against a weak schedule is going to generate excitement?
If uconn fb wants fans and credibilty now, you hire a proven coach that will bring recruits. you get him games against big name schools. Anywhere, Anyplace, Anytime. And you win.
That's how you get fans and get people excited. I absolutely agree it will take time to generate a fanbase like those down south. They have a 2-3 generation head start.
unfortunately, I have a day job, and you (assuming you live in CT) already pay WM to do that.

Reaction Score
I'm been saying this for the last few weeks Marty, Warde has to do more and tell us where we heading or at least where he would like us to go. We laughed at Rugers for saying they would like to go in B1G, well the jokes on us.

Right now, we have a football coach that should be fired and a basketball coach that should be hired. I would laugh my ass off if another school snatched Ollie up. Sign him up now with a three deal with a cheap buy-out.

Go UConn and hang in there.
I have a hard time with the Ollie situation. I think WM was right on the initial contract. I struggle with when is the right time to offer the extension.
I have no idea what the expectations were of Ollie. But it seems like every hurdle he's been given has been met.
I don't think Ollie is going anywhere. If anyone seems pretty unphased by the contract it's him. He's a class act and a Husky for life.

It would be nice to have one thing settled though.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The Ollie situation will be handled in January - I'd expect that it'll be announced in early February.

As for the conference stuff, holy s***, enough already.

What the duck* do you think anyone at UConn is supposed to say? Whatever machinations are happening, if there are any, won't be carried out in public - nor should it be.

We have no place to go at the moment. Talking about going to the Big Ten or ACC right now is freaking stupid because we're not invited.

Reaction Score
The Ollie situation will be handled in January - I'd expect that it'll be announced in early February.

What the duck* do you think anyone at UConn is supposed to say? Whatever machinations are happening, if there are any, won't be carried out in public - nor should it be.

We have no place to go at the moment. Talking about going to the Big Ten or ACC right now is freaking stupid because we're not invited.
OK Fishy...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

The irony is that the past teams that the ACC has plucked - Boston College and Miami - turned out to be such unmitigated disasters that the ACC basically had to set aside everything they claim to hold sacred in order to invite Louisville.

Miami is an embarrassment off the field, Boston College is an embarrassment on and off the field and now they have football powderpuffs Syracuse and Pitt coming in....the ACC almost owed it to Florida State to call the next shot.

Reaction Score
The irony is that the past teams that the ACC has plucked - Boston College and Miami - turned out to be such unmitigated disasters that the ACC basically had to set aside everything they claim to hold sacred in order to invite Louisville.

Miami is an embarrassment off the field, Boston College is an embarrassment on and off the field and now they have football powderpuffs Syracuse and Pitt coming in....the ACC almost owed it to Florida State to call the next shot.

And they struck out again!!!

The ACC should have never gotten involved in killing conferences in the first place. They were better off holding tight. What did they do it for? A conference championship game? Please. None of these BE teams situated above the Mason-Dixon-line belong down there. They should have taken Miami, VT and WV and called it a day. Had they done that, they would have given FSU all the competition it could handle.

Reaction Score
OK. I here you. But that's not CT... As a former CT resident, the state roots for winners. And if you're not winning, you'd better make it seem like you had a chance. Compete... That's what CT fans want.

Even when Uconn BB struggles the fans have little patience. Calhoun with all his success struggled when they didn't make the tourney. That's a 3 time national championship program. At least they've got the reputation to get games against top 10 teams so people are still attracted.
you think a program being run by a re-tread with no pizazz that struggles to hit .500 against a weak schedule is going to generate excitement?
If uconn fb wants fans and credibilty now, you hire a proven coach that will bring recruits. you get him games against big name schools. Anywhere, Anyplace, Anytime. And you win.
That's how you get fans and get people excited. I absolutely agree it will take time to generate a fanbase like those down south. They have a 2-3 generation head start.
unfortunately, I have a day job, and you (assuming you live in CT) already pay WM to do that.

Unfortunately every football program has stepped backward some time or another for three to four years. It will be a test for wm to turn it around. We will know if this season is poor how serious he is. I think no bowl equals no p n d. We will see. The man has not been here for a year yet. He has not impressed me yet with anything but we will see. Remember the quick fix is usually the bad move long term.

Don't know many proven coaches we could get. Hope we start to turn it around soon. I agree if this year is a dud we need to make some moves. Three years in a row of downturn is going to spell trouble. The worse thing that could actually happen is 6-7 wins. Doesn't spell disaster or success.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately every football program has stepped backward some time or another for three to four years. It will be a test for wm to turn it around. We will know if this season is poor how serious he is. I think no bowl equals no p n d. We will see. The man has not been here for a year yet. He has not impressed me yet with anything but we will see. Remember the quick fix is usually the bad move long term.

Don't know many proven coaches we could get. Hope we start to turn it around soon. I agree if this year is a dud we need to make some moves. Three years in a row of downturn is going to spell trouble. The worse thing that could actually happen is 6-7 wins. Doesn't spell disaster or success.
You can almost bank on 6-7 wins next year.
I don't think you can look at next year based on W-L's to make a positive assessment. If he comes away with another 5-7 season, he absolutely should be bought out. It gets trickier if he goes 6-6 or 7-5.
Then you really have to look at the flow of the season, how well Uconn competed, and what the feeling of the program is. If you win the first 7 and lose the last 5, then something fell apart and you have to question whether PP was the cause. But if you start 4-4, then go 3-1 to finish the season and win a convincing bowl game, it shows improvement. Things are starting to click. You can't pull back then.

My guess, for the pure pain it will cause and nothing seems to be going Uconn's way, will be a 6-6 season in which Uconn is right around .500 all season.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Give yourself another inch for this one. It seems that people want Warde to jump up and down and scream so that they'll know they aren't alone while they do it at home. If he was doing that in public, we'd look even more small time.

Reaction Score
Give yourself another inch for this one. It seems that people want Warde to jump up and down and scream so that they'll know they aren't alone while they do it at home. If he was doing that in public, we'd look even more small time.

Its funny that a lot of the fanbase wants Warde to hold a daily press conference and announce everything going on behind the scenes with CR. Did you hear anything from MD or Rutgers before the B1G move?

I would really like to play poker with all those out in Huskyland screaming that Warde/Herbst are not doing anything to get us in a new conference. Do you yell out your hand as soon as the cards are dealt? No you sit back and play your cards when the time is right and as a lifetime UConn fan I have to hope that is what our administration is doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom