UMD Thoughts | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UMD Thoughts

Reaction Score
I was physically hurt by the offensive play calling,
This was the killer as I watched from the stands. First, MD was bigger and looked it. They were faster and showed it. They were tougher and broke more (bad) tackles than I’ve seen in a long time. But whatever Mora saw in Evers was stymied by some horrendous play calling. After a bunch of sprint outs forcing throws on the run that flopped—it was third and two on the MD 30. We’d moved the ball and need to extend it. In the stands we professional play callers decided a great play would be a short sprint out to the right then a turn back to the left and hit the RB who had drifted out. Nope! Evers sprinted to right and threw downfield into coverage. Sammis isnt just a poor play caller. His O team came off sulking on sideline. Even Evers. Bell was the only guy trying to rally. The saddest sack was Benedict who stayed off to the side sucking on a water bottle trying to look incognito while visions of B12 honchos snickering danced in his head.

Reaction Score
Merrimack may well be a key moment in the season. After getting hammered by Maryland yesterday, I checked on Merrimack's day. They only lost to Air Force by 21-6. It appeared to be a pretty close game (at least by our standards) throughout. Air Force went 10-3 last year, so they should have been no pushover. Air Force was ranked (Sagarin) 46 last year. It may be a long season after watching yesterday.
Well, Air Force was not a pushover: in fact, they won

Reaction Score
My track coach kept things simple. Before each meet he’d gather us together and say. “Don’t forget to stretch in the blocks, breathe deep, then stay to the left and get back as quick as you can.“
Famous Abe Lemon quote also,

“Wish I could come back as a track coach, stay to the left and hurry back here”

Course might struggle with the PV or hammer throw

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Had some insomnia, saw the replay was on B1G channel, so I turned it on. Game was in Q2, already 0-14.

What I saw from offense was actually mildly encouraging - for first time in 3 years we often had WRs getting open downfield. I interpret this both as we have better WR talent, and the offense has opened up. Now, getting the ball to those guys is another issue. In Q2 alone, UConn missed on two long pass plays that should've been complete, one where Evers threw behind a guy, another where the WR beat his guy down the sideline, then inexplicably slowed down so ball hit off his fingertips. That wasn't Evers fault. You could say that we're now talking about QB/receiver timing instead of the same stodgy offense we've seen the past two years. That said, the late INT in Q2 was all Evers and a horrible mistake after the D held for a FG instead of what seemed a sure TD.

On defense, I missed the first two TDs, so can't say. I did see good effort, swarming to ball, and pretty good play. That they kept MD out of the end zone after the dumb INT was pretty impressive.

I think UConn could've easily had 10-14 pts in Q2 if they connected on those two long passes.

Fagnano looked good in his first series. After that... missed reads, off target, nothing to suggest he keeps the job.

I think there's enough there to beat Merrimack with Evers.

Reaction Score
man, lashlee, if we could have held onto that guy forever...
Yeah. The team won 3 games and likely would have won fewer if his pick for starting qb had not been replaced at halftime of the Holy Cross game. I truly don’t get the Lashlee love Or the Pindell stuff for that matter. Sheriffs was a much better quarterback.

Reaction Score
Honestly the team speed did not look bad but I will say, size wise we did look smaller… I was surprised how slender Evers looked in person
When I saw him in the backfield taking snaps, for a moment I was tricked into thinking Roberson was back on the team. Lol

Reaction Score
And I should add one thing. I do not remember this being a problem in 2010 or the 2.5 years after under HCPP.
That's because the program had future NFL talent all over the place on defense. All or close to it were Edsall recruits. You are calling a Loss on Saturday and advocating shutting the program down for 10 years. You here to watch the program die

Reaction Score
And I should add one thing. I do not remember this being a problem in 2010 or the 2.5 years after under HCPP.
Yeah, but moving the barrel 30 yards upfield for McEntee waisted valuable time in practice.:rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom