UMass to SEC ? | The Boneyard

UMass to SEC ?

Reaction Score
UMass makes sense as an FCS Program. They can be competitive with the right coach in place. They will never be competitive at the FBS Level. They exist in a purgatory of body bag road games and FCS/low level G5 Games at home. They have no way to appeal to their limited fan base, because what they get to watch is completely noncompetitive one way or the other.

Reaction Score
UMass makes sense as an FCS Program. They can be competitive with the right coach in place. They will never be competitive at the FBS Level. They exist in a purgatory of body bag road games and FCS/low level G5 Games at home. They have no way to appeal to their limited fan base, because what they get to watch is completely noncompetitive one way or the other.

Sounds familiar.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Sounds familiar.
Not really. We were never really successful as an FCS program. Connecticut is a pro sports state. If our team isn't playing at least technically at the highest level, no one cares. Western Mass is more like New Hampshire and Maine.

Reaction Score

Penn State exists in the Purgatory of the middle of the Big Ten.

Big Ten has 1 title in the last 20 across both Football (1) and Basketball (0). Penn State is not in that discussion.

Franklin is 12-25 against Top 25 and 3-17 against Top 10. Penn State beats the mediocre teams but can’t compete against ranked teams.

Lots of money, but not winning meaningful games.

Reaction Score

Big Ten has 1 title in the last 20 across both Football (1) and Basketball (0). Penn State is not in that discussion.

Franklin is 12-25 against Top 25 and 3-17 against Top 10. Penn State beats the mediocre teams but can’t compete against ranked teams.

Yes Penn State and UMass are similar. For crying out loud.

Reaction Score
Pay games matter when you are not receiving much media revenue. Guessing UConns game at TN was enough to cover Mora’s salary for a year and 3x what CBSSN pays.

Reaction Score

3 titles actually, but who cares? This is not a discussion on Penn State. This is a discussion on Umass. Should that program exist at the FBS Level? If the school wants to continue to fund it, sure but to what end? UMass is light years from being even remotely competitive, and the majority of their fanbase is ambivalent about the program even existing. Its throwing good money after bad. They have been competitive at Villanova's Level and with the right coach could do it again. UConn on the other hand has had moderate success at a higher level. There is proof of concept. Circumstances have changed around them making it far more difficult of late, but on a more even footing they can, and have been the equal to schools like Syracuse, Rutgers, Pitt, and others that make up the ACC, Big 12 and B1G. UConn has a reason to keep going, and IMO it will pay off when FSU and Clemson find a way out of The ACC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes Penn State and UMass are similar. For crying out loud.
Didn't UMass win double digit games 3 out of the last 5 years including a Cotton Bowl, Rose Bowl, and chance at a Peach Bowl Win on 12/30? :confused:

Reaction Score
3 titles actually, but who cares? This is not a discussion on Penn State. This is a discussion on Umass. Should that program exist at the FBS Level? If the school wants to continue to fund it, sure but to what end? UMass is light years from being even remotely competitive, and the majority of their fanbase is ambivalent about the program even existing. Its throwing good money after bad. They have been competitive at Villanova's Level and with the right coach could do it again. UConn on the other hand has had moderate success at a higher level. There is proof of concept. Circumstances have changed around them making it far more difficult of late, but on a more even footing they can, and have been the equal to schools like Syracuse, Rutgers, Pitt, and others that make up the ACC, Big 12 and B1G. UConn has a reason to keep going, and IMO it will pay off when FSU and Clemson find a way out of The ACC.

What are the last 3 NCAA titles won by the Big Ten?

I make the comparison as you claim UMass will never be competitive in FBS. Competitive is somewhat subjective. Is Penn State competitive? For a title?

The list of programs that have been competitive for a title is small.

Would you have said JMU could never be competitive? Coastal Carolina? UCF?

98Uconn

NL1MF
Reaction Score

Um.. didn’t they just win the Rose Bowl.. and if they win Peach Bowl this year, they’d be only team to ever win every bowl. So , yeah.. not meaningful.. ok.

Reaction Score
Um.. didn’t they just win the Rose Bowl.. and if they win Peach Bowl this year, they’d be only team to ever win every bowl. So , yeah.. not meaningful.. ok.
it's just little Pennsylvania brother yapping about big Pennsylvania brother, nothing to see there.

Reaction Score

I guess if you like exhibition games in bowl season. I was talking about competition for the national championship through the playoff.

Reaction Score
Not really. We were never really successful as an FCS program. Connecticut is a pro sports state. If our team isn't playing at least technically at the highest level, no one cares. Western Mass is more like New Hampshire and Maine.
I thought UMass was decent at the FCS level . They xon at least 1 Title .

Reaction Score
Georgia is the only paycheck game. Missouri is a home and home and Mississippi State is a 2-1 with $375k for next years game.

So two paycheck games. Nice job on Missouri.

BullDawg

UGA Alum, U of South Florida Professor Emeritus
Reaction Score
Georgia is paying UMass $1.9 million according to reports.

98Uconn

NL1MF
Reaction Score
What are the last 3 NCAA titles won by the Big Ten?

I make the comparison as you claim UMass will never be competitive in FBS. Competitive is somewhat subjective. Is Penn State competitive? For a title?

The list of programs that have been competitive for a title is small.

Would you have said JMU could never be competitive? Coastal Carolina? UCF?
What exactly is your point then? That there are only like 6 schools in the country and 1 conference with a shot to win a championship and everything else is irrelevant and non competitive?

Reaction Score
Is there an invite coming ? 2024 Missouri @ UMass. --- UMass @ Miss ST.--- UMass @ Georgia. Or are they just nuts ?
Absolutely , Bama and Georgia have been trying to get into that potent western mass/Vermont recruiting market that the Minutes currently have locked down.

Reaction Score
What exactly is your point then? That there are only like 6 schools in the country and 1 conference with a shot to win a championship and everything else is irrelevant and non competitive?
My point is the perspective I stated.

You can be a PSU guy and look down on everyone below you, but PSU isn’t competing for championships.

In the last 15 years the champs are from the dominant SEC with Ohio State, FSU, and Clemson.

PSU has not made the CFP.

I actually like PSU. I have been to a number of games at Happy Valley (only 1 post Covid). My FBS team is UGA, but PSU and UGA don’t cross paths so I’m in on PSU every week. They are, however, ~5th in the Big Ten in the last 15 years and JF has a poor record against ranked teams.

So let’s not crap on UMass and say the have no chance to be competitive in FBS. They had an FCS championship before moving up, as did JMU who had a pretty good season. They are fighting against odds as a northeast independent, but they do have the potential to be grow their program and be competitive.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
My point is the perspective I stated.

You can be a PSU guy and look down on everyone below you, but PSU isn’t competing for championships.

In the last 15 years the champs are from the dominant SEC with Ohio State, FSU, and Clemson.

PSU has not made the CFP.

I actually like PSU. I have been to a number of games at Happy Valley (only 1 post Covid). My FBS team is UGA, but PSU and UGA don’t cross paths so I’m in on PSU every week. They are, however, ~5th in the Big Ten in the last 15 years and JF has a poor record against ranked teams.

So let’s not crap on UMass and say the have no chance to be competitive in FBS. They had an FCS championship before moving up, as did JMU who had a pretty good season. They are fighting against odds as a northeast independent, but they do have the potential to be grow their program and be competitive.
I must disagree. Their facilities and stadium are FCS level and the financial commitment is not there for an improved push. They have to take bodybag games to fund the program.

Reaction Score
I must disagree. Their facilities and stadium are FCS level and the financial commitment is not there for an improved push. They have to take bodybag games to fund the program.
So does UConn. It doesn’t mean there is no path forward.

Reaction Score

Lots of money, but not winning meaningful ga

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom