UMass series 2018-2021 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UMass series 2018-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrG

Reaction Score
I have really been impressed with AD Bamford so far, but even with expansion McGuirk needs a lot of work and money to bring it up to FBS standards. The FB facility is top-notch (we still need an indoor practice field or at least a bubble) and the new press box is serviceable at best. It's a 50-year-old stadium and it is really showing its age.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Yeah, Warde is doing a great job.
UMass. WGAFF.
P5 folk? ROTFLTAO at us

Reaction Score
I have really been impressed with AD Bamford so far, but even with expansion McGuirk needs a lot of work and money to bring it up to FBS standards. The FB facility is top-notch (we still need an indoor practice field or at least a bubble) and the new press box is serviceable at best. It's a 50-year-old stadium and it is really showing its age.
A year or so old and seemingly built before UMass' new AD arrived, the conditioning facility may have been relatively competitive compared with schools in the MAC. Acknowledging it must be an improvement, how is it top notch? Isn't it smaller than even BCU's not so great shared facilities.

With no conference affiliation, so few wins over several years, a 1/2 century or more old, rundown stadium, no marque sports programs, broader university financial challenges, marginal state and alumni support, etc., what's holding water for UMass football let alone promising financial support to enhance or gridiron facilities to be more competitive, some kind of practice facility (even a collapsible, snow prone bubble a la BCU), etc.?

Given UMass' possible lack of improvement in recruiting and on-field performance challenges, how's Whipple's support: strong, wavering, dubious at best? Good 1-AA and Division II coach a decade to 2 decades back, has the college game passed Whipple by similar to some other past successful college coaches?

Reaction Score
Yeah, Warde is doing a great job.
UMass. WGAFF.
P5 folk? ROTFLTAO at us
You really think they are going to ROTFLTAOUSSAJGSJWBV about developing college football in New England again?

Reaction Score
J187Money said:
If you are still broke by then I will cover your parking :)

I have a friend that lost everything due to a painkiller addiction he developed after a sports injury. I mean everything. He was literally homeless, lost his wife and kids and had no money. He finally agreed to rehab but felt he would be a loser for life when he got out.

Three years later he has a great job, beautiful new wife, new baby, new house and his kids from his first marriage are with him half the time. The ex wife is remarried and treats him very well because she knows it wasn't his intention to get hooked on a medicine.

I always told him things can change quickly, including your finances. Very few people get rich by accident. Those of us that create opportunity for ourselves are intending to do so. No one should think they will be in the same place 3 years from now. What would be the point of getting up in the morning?

It is very effective to write your goals and vision down every year and put it someplace you will see it daily. This guy has an easy goal. Save an extra $45 over the next 3 years.

DrG

Reaction Score
Given UMass' possible lack of improvement in recruiting and on-field performance challenges, how's Whipple's support: strong, wavering, dubious at best? Good 1-AA and Division II coach a decade to 2 decades back, has the college game passed Whipple by similar to some other past successful college coaches?
All valid questions. I think the support for Whipple is solid, although not overwhelming because the jury is still out. The main problem is UMass came in late in the game, the former AD had pretty much checked out and was the wrong guy to lead the move up, and the Molnar hire was a disaster. Listen, I know it's going to be a difficult challenge, especially trying to survive as an independent for the foreseeable future. But the UMass administration remains committed to FBS football, and Bamford strikes me as a pretty dynamic guy. Some more wins would be good for starters. Obviously things can always change, but this scheduling agreement says to me that UConn thinks we'll still be around in a few years.

Reactions: jho
Reaction Score
I hate putting money in Robert Krafts pockets, but I will begrudgingly do so for these games. My loyalty to uconn football trumps my boycott of that .

Reaction Score
UMass doesn't excite me, but realistically we weren't going to get 4 P5 schools in our OOC schedule. This is better than other MAC/G5 options.

If we can keep reinforcing it with notable P5's (B1Gger is better), then this is fine.

Reaction Score
All valid questions. I think the support for Whipple is solid, although not overwhelming because the jury is still out. The main problem is UMass came in late in the game, the former AD had pretty much checked out and was the wrong guy to lead the move up, and the Molnar hire was a disaster. Listen, I know it's going to be a difficult challenge, especially trying to survive as an independent for the foreseeable future. But the UMass administration remains committed to FBS football, and Bamford strikes me as a pretty dynamic guy. Some more wins would be good for starters. Obviously things can always change, but this scheduling agreement says to me that UConn thinks we'll still be around in a few years.

I have no issue with UMass outside of the old Calapari days. The problem with UMass is that it most resident view it as a safety school behind Harvard, MIT. BU, BC (gag me), Northeastern, Amherst, Tufts, Williams, etc. and its on the wrong end of the state with respect to support from Beacon Hill as those guys (and gals) barely acknowledge that the Bay State extends beyond I-495. Thus, it will also have a problem with funding and the faculty union there would like to abolish most of the athletic department, especially the football team. It's a tough spot.

As for football, if UConn is going to schedule OCC games outside of the P5, UMass will at least generate interest and hopefully decent attendance versus games against Western Michigan (no disrespect to the Broncos, just there is not 'connection' between Storrs and Kalamazoo) and to be honest, most of the AAC.

Reaction Score
If you are still broke by then I will cover your parking :)

Thanks. I'll most likely go either way. I'll find the money. I'm more concerned with the weekend trip to Boston next year. I'm taking my nephew to his first football game and it's gonna be watching UConn smash BC.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
It's good to play New England schools. There's not much interest in New England schools outside New England.

Reaction Score
I495? More like 128!

Naw, even the folks in Beacon Hill know where Hopkinton as that's where the Marathon starts. That's about it though. I have a Hub born and bred friend who is from Medfield who I took to a UConn game years ago. I asked to meet in Westborough and he did not know where that is.

Reaction Score
If the games are competitive then the media will have something to write about and the fans will have something to debate about. How can that be a bad thing? UMass gives the Huskies a real test and the next time they play more will show up in the stands.

Plus it gives the Marching Band and cheerleaders two close and inexpensive bus trip/same day venues to strut their stuff. That's always a plus. UMass has a great band too. The bands are what give college football it's special character.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
You really think they are going to ROTFLTAOUSSAJGSJWBV about developing college football in New England again?[/QUOTE

Yes. They see YanCon redux.

Backstabbers from BC we should not play, they will always vote with Clemson and FSU.
UMass makes us look desperate.

Reaction Score
Naw, even the folks in Beacon Hill know where Hopkinton as that's where the Marathon starts. That's about it though. I have a Hub born and bred friend who is from Medfield who I took to a UConn game years ago. I asked to meet in Westborough and he did not know where that is.
Hopkinton is on an island by itself in no man's land outside 95. No one here has figured out why they continue to force the runners to go out there instead of doing 20+ miles of laps around the scenic Chestnut Hill reservoir before heading down Beacon Street to finish.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I understand the financial reasons why UConn opts to play UMass at Gillette as opposed to McGuirk Stadium in Amherst, and I can't speak for the rest of the fans, but I'd much rather play UMass on their campus. There are probably few worse college football environments than UMass games at Gillette, and if we played them at McGuirk it'd be a packed house (albeit a packed 25K) rather than a stadium half draped in a tarp.

Since I live 15-20 minutes from Gillette, I disagree. :) I also think it gives UConn fans a good chance to outnumber UMass fans in the stands, since it is closer to Storrs than Amherst.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Hopkinton is on an island by itself in no man's land outside 95. No one here has figured out why they continue to force the runners to go out there instead of doing 20+ miles of laps around the scenic Chestnut Hill reservoir before heading down Beacon Street to finish.

I'm in Hopkinton now at work. It's a nice, posh bedroom community with one rather large employer. But all the fastest growing areas of metro Boston are along I-495.

Reaction Score
Since I live 15-20 minutes from Gillette, I disagree. :) I also think it gives UConn fans a good chance to outnumber UMass fans in the stands, since it is closer to Storrs than Amherst.

no excuse to not outnumber umass fans

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I'm in Hopkinton now at work. It's a nice, posh bedroom community with one rather large employer. But all the fastest growing areas of metro Boston are along I-495.
It's kind of tough for Somerville, Everett, Quincy, Waltham, Watertown, Dedham etc to grow much - they're already densely populated areas. There is still plenty of open space around 495, hence that is where people build. It's also much cheaper.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
It's kind of tough for Somerville, Everett, Quincy, Waltham, Watertown, Dedham etc to grow much - they're already densely populated areas. There is still plenty of open space around 495, hence that is where people build. It's also much cheaper.

And none of them are nearly as nice as most of the towns on the 495 ring. Prices are getting closer as a result. Hopkinton for example, isn't cheap (nor Southborough). It's the Connecticut equivalent of Granby or Simsbury. Now the cheap seats are way out in places like Blackstone and Whitinsville.

Reaction Score

Hopkinton must be sweating with Dell potentially buying EMC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom