UMass series 2018-2021 | The Boneyard

UMass series 2018-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.umassathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/121015aab.html

>>“In essence, we made changes to our 2016 and 2017 schedules to allow UConn and Boston College an opportunity to start a home-and-home series,” Bamford added. “We fully understand and support that a BC-UConn match-up will help New England college football gain traction nationally. UMass has always believed that the collective goal of the three New England FBS schools should be to collaborate often and build a strong partnership to further enhance the culture of college football in this region. With this news, I think we are making progress on this goal.”<<

Reaction Score
Kinda funny they have to point out that their home games are at Gillette. In case you were a confused UMass football fan.

UMass still plays two or three games a year in Amherst.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Kinda funny they have to point out that their home games are at Gillette. In case you were a confused UMass football fan.
They play some home games in Amherst. The bigger games are at Gillette.

Reaction Score
Makes all the sense in the world for all three programs. About time.

UCONN could end up in a really good spot with this. BC will be tough to take down year after year in football, but it's not out of the question. That athletic program is struggling. Their football is under some pressure and hoops is a total and utter disaster.....and that was Bate's first hire!

Reaction Score
http://www.umassathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/121015aab.html

>>“In essence, we made changes to our 2016 and 2017 schedules to allow UConn and Boston College an opportunity to start a home-and-home series,” Bamford added. “We fully understand and support that a BC-UConn match-up will help New England college football gain traction nationally. UMass has always believed that the collective goal of the three New England FBS schools should be to collaborate often and build a strong partnership to further enhance the culture of college football in this region. With this news, I think we are making progress on this goal.”<<

This Guy Bamford is a great diplomat. But ... how is he going to give me comfort that BC actually can play nice in any sandbox? BC's a proven liar and agent provocateur. Goal? We know their goal is to be the pre-eminent Catholic University destination for the southern kids.

Reaction Score
Will parking still be outrageous at $45 dollars at Gillette for this game? Because I'd love to go to this game, but I'm also broke (hence me never seeing the Patriots play there).

Reaction Score
Will parking still be outrageous at $45 dollars at Gillette for this game? Because I'd love to go to this game, but I'm also broke (hence me never seeing the Patriots play there).
Seriously doubt they'd charge much of anything, if at all, for it, no one goes to those games.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I understand the financial reasons why UConn opts to play UMass at Gillette as opposed to McGuirk Stadium in Amherst, and I can't speak for the rest of the fans, but I'd much rather play UMass on their campus. There are probably few worse college football environments than UMass games at Gillette, and if we played them at McGuirk it'd be a packed house (albeit a packed 25K) rather than a stadium half draped in a tarp.

Reaction Score
Ok ... UMass has a few games booked. Solid NE opponents. How are they going to book 12 per year? I think their name has appeal for Programs. But, this independent stuff means they are going to have ugly Novembers for a long time (and most of October too).

Reaction Score
I understand the financial reasons why UConn opts to play UMass at Gillette as opposed to McGuirk Stadium in Amherst, and I can't speak for the rest of the fans, but I'd much rather play UMass on their campus. There are probably few worse college football environments than UMass games at Gillette, and if we played them at McGuirk it'd be a packed house (albeit a packed 25K) rather than a stadium half draped in a tarp.
McGuirk only holds 17,000 - with the amount of UMass students who would show up for the game on campus, in addition to typical UMass fans and the like, there'd likely be few to no tickets available for UConn fans outside of the allotment they'd send to the school. That stadium is way too small for this game.

DrG

Reaction Score
FWIW, so far parking has been free for UMass games at Gillette, including VIP parking for those who buy season tickets in the club level. As a UMass fan, I agree that Gillette attendance has been pathetic. The alumni base in eastern Mass. is highly apathetic and it's tough to build enthusiasm for 3-9 teams. Next season, the numbers should be better for the BC game (at least as many of their fans as ours) and the Mississippi St. game (SEC fans travel well). But no doubt, there is a long way to go. I do think it's great that our AD paved the way for resumption of the UConn-BC series. It's a game that absolutely has to happen. I hope that by the time we play you guys again, our program will be more competitive.

Reaction Score
I like the idea of potentially yearly contests between the three FBS programs in New England. But until any one of the three institutions become relevant on a "national" basis, I doubt it sparks much interest in New England outside of the immediate fan bases.

I wouldn't be surprised if many NE'ers beyond the fan base realizes UMass and UConn are no longer in the Yankee conference,....which "disbanded" almost 20 years ago.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I think that this scheduling series will really boost New England college football. It will take a few years, of course. But down the road, this is nothing but good for all 3 of the FBS playing New England programs.

Reaction Score

Wait. You just asked what parking would cost at Gillette? In Two Thousand and friggin 18?

I want your life. I'm worried about how I'm getting out of the office every day between now and New Years and whether ISIL is going to change my life. And you get to worry about what a parking lot will charge THREE YEARS OUT.

Reaction Score
Love this move for all three schools! In the current climate of college sports it's shocking when sensible agreements come to fruition.

Also for the Warde haters, I'm not sure how he could've done much better with this football schedule. He locked in some great home and home series for us:

1. BCU (does it get better than this??)
2. Cuse
3. Michigan (he deserves a lot of credit for making them come to the Rent)
4. Mizzou
5. Indiana/Illinois
6. UMass (bus ride = 100x better than Buffalo/Western Michigan)

As of now the only teams left on my home and home wishlist are Rutgers and Alabama!

Reaction Score
They should actually create the Colonial Cup or something which would mark the New England football champion. Team that wins the 2 games gets title. If tie, total point differential wins.

Reaction Score
I agree with the colonial cup thing but if it's 1-1-1 the holder keeps it that year. That's the typical model. I actually think there will be a good UConn crowd for this game too

Reaction Score
businesslawyer said:
Wait. You just asked what parking would cost at Gillette? In Two Thousand and friggin 18? I want your life. I'm worried about how I'm getting out of the office every day between now and New Years and whether ISIL is going to change my life. And you get to worry about what a parking lot will charge THREE YEARS OUT.

Almost sadder to think that he is convinced he will still be broke 3 years from now.

Reaction Score
I think that this scheduling series will really boost New England college football. It will take a few years, of course. But down the road, this is nothing but good for all 3 of the FBS playing New England programs.

Especially for the program in the ACC, whose nearest conference rival is over 500 miles away. This way they have a couple of OOC's do reduce overall travel expenses.

Reaction Score
If the games are competitive then the media will have something to write about and the fans will have something to debate about. How can that be a bad thing? UMass gives the Huskies a real test and the next time they play more will show up in the stands. BC beats UConn and the trash talking will escalate of course but guaranteed the Rent will be packed for their next meeting and that's what everyone wants anyways so ...BRING IT ON!!

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
McGuirk only holds 17,000 - with the amount of UMass students who would show up for the game on campus, in addition to typical UMass fans and the like, there'd likely be few to no tickets available for UConn fans outside of the allotment they'd send to the school. That stadium is way too small for this game.

This is true, although UMass is trying for a stadium expansion to up the total to about 25k. Still in the stages of trying to gather finances so I'm not sure if it's something that's actually going to happen or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom