UMass Post Game Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UMass Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Great win. 3-9 isnt what we wanted but its not completely awful. Time to attack the portal, hire some new coaches, and have a great offseason.
It’s completely awful sure it’s better then 2-10 whoop D freaking doo, this record is unacceptable.

Reaction Score
Happy for the players who stuck it out and the seniors, and happy for the fans that went to todays game. I like many fans can attest to this that after a loss it’s is much miserable to drive in traffic going back home near early sunset in cold weather. Have a lot to work on this offseason and it starts now no days off.
Yes, I’ve always asked “what happened in the offseason” this year? That is my big question because we were nowhere near ready when the season started.

Whatever they thought they accomplished in offseason, they did not.

Mora needs to start preparing for next season on bus ride home.

Reaction Score
I typically hate moral victories, but the fact that this terrible season had us going 3-9 vs 1-11 with our only win being an FCS team is still a step up.

Reaction Score
the espn commentators made an interesting comment - if 2023 was reversed with 2022, then i think we're all super happy and we keep the entire coaching staff, pretty much. i am no charlton fan, but if by some miracle charlton ends up staying, i wouldnt bail on my fanhood just yet. No one knows we suck more than the HC/OC. after all, this is the same staff that got us to the marshall bowl game last year. just some food for thought

Reaction Score
It’s completely awful sure it’s better then 2-10 whoop D freaking doo, this record is unacceptable.
It isn’t good. They had 5 games where they were long shots. So, its a 7 game season, They went 3-4 in those games. Should have been 5-2.

I’d say reasonable record this year, looking back, is 5-7.

The 4 P5 games and JMU, flat out not enough talent.

The FIU, USF and Utah State games decided the season.

They may have to re-think schedule if they can’t get better players year in and year out. You can’t have that many games against P5 schools without increasing your talent base. TBH, our talent looked fine in the G5 games.

Reaction Score
Yes, I’ve always asked “what happened in the offseason” this year? That is my big question because we were nowhere near ready when the season started.

It looked like there was some division in the locker room, how much, I don't know. But whenever you see players enter the transfer portal in the middle of the season, it's a sign of big trouble. I am going to guess not everyone was on board with Fagnano being the QB and frankly I can't blame them. It's not like Charlton has a great track record of potent high octane offenses in his career to get a blank check to make that decision.

After the Georgia St was when I really got concerned that we were seeing a repeat of 2016 after having a 6-7 season the year before (just like 2015) where UConn wasn't building off that. All the goodwill from 2022 was gone after that Ga St. game.

Mora has his work cut out for him this offseason and it start now. Get a better OC that has a track record of innovative offenses and developing QBs. Hell, maybe Dino Babers will take the position (yes, I know I might be dreaming). With football trending towards more offense, UConn cannot remain this inept on offense-it's pathetic and frankly horse manure.
Get a DC-Mora can't be doing double duty. It's why there were so many fundamental and mental breakdowns on D. A designated DC that is dedicated only that that side of the ball is needed.

The transfer portal has to be good. This year, the transfers did next to nothing.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
the espn commentators made an interesting comment - if 2023 was reversed with 2022, then i think we're all super happy and we keep the entire coaching staff, pretty much. i am no charlton fan, but if by some miracle charlton ends up staying, i wouldnt bail on my fanhood just yet. No one knows we suck more than the HC/OC. after all, this is the same staff that got us to the marshall bowl game last year. just some food for thought
The commentators were Gresh and UMass play by play guy. Their views are UMass views

Reaction Score
The only good analysis from the terrible commentary from the game today…if you reversed UConn’s last two seasons, there would be a much different vibe rn. I leave this season with zero expectations for next year. Also, shame on me for being so vain as to buy tickets to game at BC in august, I was being greedy.

Reaction Score
I mean I know is SHU and UMass, but I think going into the offseason with a 2 game win streak and the offense and defense performing reasonably well will do a lot for morale going into spring ball.
I don't know about that. I am glad UConn won these last 2 games. Going 1-11, with losses to a n FCS Sacred Heart and to a low level FBS would be really bad. However, I don't think it will have any carry over effect to the offseason.

Reaction Score
I was neutral on Carlton earlier in the season but out of frustration I started to want a sacrificial lamb to appease the football gods. You do make an interesting point though in that we would have a difficult time to get even a competent OC Coach with our reputation. Our problems are not just coaching but we took a serious hit after Edsel2 and recruiting has not recovered and NIL like a 15 pound sledge hammer.

Reaction Score
whatya mean whoop d freaking doo. You don't think winning today is a big deal? Losing to UMass would have made his bad season so much worse.

Of course it would’ve been much worse losing to Umass way worse but still this season was unacceptable.

Reaction Score
Problem with programs with UConn is that as soon as any player out of HS shows talent, they are more apt to be lured away to bigger schools with more NIL. It's why Mora is harping on needing NIL funds. We got lucky that Mitchell wanted to stay at UConn. That won't happen with all players.
All schools lose kids to the portal so get used to it. As for Houston and Brewton leaving, the magic number is 4 games and NIL. If you want to grab some NIL and your school isn't offering much, you have to hit the portal and you have to do it before you play in 5 games to maintain that year's eligibility.

If you want to keep players and attract good portal players, UConn needs NIL as Mora has stated.

Reaction Score

He needs to be changing what we did last off season.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
All schools lose kids to the portal so get used to it. As for Houston and Brewton leaving, the magic number is 4 games and NIL. If you want to grab some NIL and your school isn't offering much, you have to hit the portal and you have to do it before you play in 5 games to maintain that year's eligibility.

If you want to keep players and attract good portal players, UConn needs NIL as Mora has stated.
You just stated my point with your last line. That's exactly what I was saying. I was stating that trying to think developing HS kids is a thing anymore is not true because the time they get good, is the time they get lured away.

But thanks for making my point again.

Reaction Score
What's frustrating is if they got things together earlier in the season, the team would have been going to a bowl game. Their ranking would be higher too.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Did anyone else find the woofing and histrionics from UMass pathetic?

Reaction Score
Did anyone else find the woofing and histrionics from UMass pathetic?
really from both teams pathetic. UMass is 3-8 and UConn was 2-9 entering the game. I get it on some level, the players have to play with heart and passion and you never want to see that go away regardless of how poorly the season has gone. However, does Bi-Wahad need to be blowing kisses after the pick 6 to the fans?

I guess what I am saying is keep the heart and the passion, but be self aware and know the limits.

Reaction Score
You just stated my point with your last line. That's exactly what I was saying. I was stating that trying to think developing HS kids is a thing anymore is not true because the time they get good, is the time they get lured away.

But thanks for making my point again.
You said you can’t develop HS talent because they will leave. I disagree.

Reaction Score
I
really from both teams pathetic. UMass is 3-8 and UConn was 2-9 entering the game. I get it on some level, the players have to play with heart and passion and you never want to see that go away regardless of how poorly the season has gone. However, does Bi-Wahad need to be blowing kisses after the pick 6 to the fans?

I guess what I am saying is keep the heart and the passion, but be self aware and know the limits.
It's the football culture these days. Actually, it's the sports culture these days (anybody tired of the bat flips on every home run)? Watch any game, don't care if it's two 2-9 teams or two 9-1 teams. Being a bit older, I'm surprised Mora doesn't put a bit of a lid on it. I'm all for having fun and playing with passion, but do it with class. I loved whenever Barry Sanders scored a touchdown and he just handed the ball to the official and ran off to the sidelines. He was doing what he got paid for. No end zone choreographed histrionics or "look at me". In today's social media age however, that stuff is here to stay.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom