UMass offers a blueprint for UConn’s potential football future (Paul Doyle - Hearst) | The Boneyard

UMass offers a blueprint for UConn’s potential football future (Paul Doyle - Hearst)

Reaction Score
UConn has much more to offer than UMass. Great training facilities, very nice stadium with 40K capacity and a history of playing higher level competition. The last part with limited success recently, but still much better than UMass. We will play UMass in the future, but we need to follow the BYU model rather than the the UMass model. You cannot except people to attend a water downed schedule after already viewing a higher level. The trick must be a balanced schedule that still offers teams that people are interested in viewing. Mid level Big 10, ACC, etc will work with some lesser programs included. If you water it down to MAC level might as well close shop because no one's coming to watch. I say all this as a football fan and long term season ticket holder.

Reaction Score
I am embracing independence. It will give Uconn a chance to rebuild football under our terms. If we can schedule and beat mid level P5 teams regularly, it will really help our reputation football wise. It will do far more than beating teams like UCF despite the fact UCF is far stronger than many of those mid-level P5 teams. We absolutely should not play a MAC type schedule since no one will be watching. We just need to build a schedule with some P5 teams that we can win regularly. Fan support will increase if we can win.

Also, by going independence we get a chance to negotiate a new football media contract on our own with SNY. If we can get SNY to pay anywhere near $5M+ per year, we will be far ahead than if we stayed in the AAC.

Reaction Score
Growing up in CT, I thought the Horde was so insightful. The older I get the more I realize they are so insular and lack any creativity or true insights. UMass the blue print for UConn? NFW. This plan is so much bolder. Big East hoops, sub-contracted regional sports network for football, ability to play and fill venues in NYC, 'qualified' as a P5-level opponent for football scheduling, only game in town that commands eyeballs and emotions. Granted, independent football is not an easy road but success there combined with a return to MSG will position us so much better for any future realignment. Time to resurrect the brand, time to get back to positive narratives. The slow bleed in the AAC was killing us slowly. We stopped the bleeding this week. Now we stabilize the patient so we can thrive again. I just hope the therapies we've chosen can cure what ails us. ok...done with the healthcare analogies....have a great weekend folks

Reaction Score

I'm not sure that's a compliment.
For BYU, Independence has not yielded anything. They barely made the potato bowl.
When they were in the Original MWC, they actually had buzz. Sure it was the Frogs and the Utes doing the heavy lifting in football but that buoyed BYU football.

Reaction Score
We
For BYU, Independence has not yielded anything. They barely made the potato bowl.
When they were in the Original MWC, they actually had buzz. Sure it was the Frogs and the Utes doing the heavy lifting in football but that buoyed BYU football.
Well we aren't going to be Notre Dame. BYU is the next most successful indy. And we get to control our destiny more...

Reaction Score
BYU has a rivalry game with Utah and more robust football hisotry which gets them to 4 P5 games... if we could settle into a 3 P5 with at least one at home model, FCS and then filler, that's probably a more realistic/plausible outcome.

Reaction Score
We

Well we aren't going to be Notre Dame. BYU is the next most successful indy. And we get to control our destiny more...

I wonder if UConn can get a "Notre Dame" type deal with another conference.

UConn can play 5 conference members of said conference each year.. (perhaps a couple MBB games)

In return, UConn has entry into their Bowl tie-ins.

That would alleviate scheduling and gain bowl entry.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I wonder if UConn can get a "Notre Dame" type deal with another conference.

UConn can play 5 conference members of said conference each year.. (perhaps a couple MBB games)

In return, UConn has entry into their Bowl tie-ins.

That would alleviate scheduling and gain bowl entry.
Ha- yeah. Well you have outlined something to aspire to, but this scenario seems highly unlikely until we at playing a better brand of football with consistency. Plus, I can’t think of a conference such a scenario would benefit.

Independent football will be fine. I just want an interesting schedule with more regional names.

We are a unique school. We don’t fit anywhere but the AAC and B1G and those doors are shut.

We are a different kind of BYU so to speak.

Reaction Score
Ha- yeah. Well you have outlined something to aspire to, but this scenario seems highly unlikely until we at playing a better brand of football with consistency. Plus, I can’t think of a conference such a scenario would benefit.

Independent football will be fine. I just want an interesting schedule with more regional names.

We are a unique school. We don’t fit anywhere but the AAC and B1G and those doors are shut.

We are a different kind of BYU so to speak.
Agreed. We are a P1 School. We should have that patch on our uniforms moving forward. A big F...U... to P5, P6, G6 whatever. We're UConn dammittttt!!

Reaction Score

Here's a take from Salt Lake. Evidently it was reported that Aresco's interview with Dennis Dodd was done from of all place Provo.

O'Connell: Reasons Why BYU Should/Shouldn't Join AAC - KSL Sports

Reaction Score
Agreed. We are a P1 School. We should have that patch on our uniforms moving forward. A big F...U... to P5, P6, G6 whatever. We're UConn dammittttt!!
This is a good idea but let’s wait until we’re competitive again before we do it or else we become a laughingstock

Reaction Score

I agree with this. Recruiting wise I think we would be better off if we could stay in a conference even if it is the MAC with UMASS assuming we could eventually be the dominant team in the MAC. (big if I know) The problem is there will be more money as an independent mercenary school and everyone seems to be more concerned about counting money than counting wins. I bet if you polled BYU fans they would rather join the MWC or AAC than stay independent.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t think BYU joins

I didn't used to, but with Byu having a deal with Espn, and the pac 12 sucking wind that take from Salt Lake sounds much more in tune with them doing it. The financial details of the Byu deal are a well guarded mystery, but my guess is Byu has a much better shot now at a better bowl winning the AAC vs independent.

That would be a perfect world for the AAC as they could mesh just one sport in with what is a very good football program. Espn is already paying them so existing conference members likely wouldn't have to take a haircut. Interesting times.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
BYU is similar to ND in the fact they can schedule how they like. Who wouldn't play them? They have a decent contract from ESPN, marquis matchups with the PAC 12 and other really good P5 schools. They lose a lot of that and get Tulsa, Tulane and whoever else from the AAC.

The only way they do go to me, is if they don't have confidence in the new coach after Bronco left. Meaning they think they will slip and this is a way to get a safe thing.

Reaction Score
Therein lies the issue. That article seems to indicate that getting schools after September of any caliber is difficult for them. The Pac 12 lies below the AAC at this point. My guess is with the $'s and recruiting territory that Cincy, Memphis, UCF and USF have(and really Temple as well), they're going to get several top 20 to 50 teams out of that some home and home. The Pac 12 has fallen off big time. They seem to infer that scheduling and recruiting without an affiliation is not the simplest of routes in this day and age even at their level.

Reaction Score
I don't think BYU joins the AAC as their future football schedules are much better than anything they could do in the AAC:

P5 Opponents:

2019: 4 (Utah, @Tennessee, USC, Washington)
2020: 6 (@Utah, Michigan St., @Arizona St, @ Minnesota, Missouri, @Stanford)
2021: 7 (Arizona in Las Vegas, Utah, Arizona St., @Baylor, @Washington St., Virginia, @USC)
2022: 5 (@Utah, Baylor, @Oregon, Arkansas, @Stanford)
2023: 6 (Tennessee, @Virginia, Utah, @arkansas, @USC, Stanford)

And, it looks like they play Boise St. and Utah St. every year. Plus, they play a number of other decent G5 schools: San Diego St., Toledo, USF, Houston, Northern Illinois, Wyoming, and ECU.

Here are their next two year schedules:

2019: Utah, @Tennessee, USC, Washington, @Toledo, @USF, Boise St., @Utah St., Liberty, Idaho St., @UMass, @San Diego St.

2020: @Utah, Michigan St., @Arizona St., @ Minnesota, Utah St., Missouri, Houston, @Northern Illinois, @Boise St., San Diego St., North Alabama, @Stanford

If BYU goes 11-1 in either 2019 or 2020, they are going to be in the top 12 and could make a NY6 bowl (not guaranteed as they are not the G5 rep or a displaced P5 conference champion). It's possible they could be in the CFP if not many other teams had good seasons as their schedule would be similar to P5 schools and much better than any G5 school.

In contrast, UMass has one P5 game scheduled at home from 2017 to 2023: BC in 2021.

UMass is now playing home games at McGuirk which seats 17k, so it is going to be difficult to get P5 teams to travel to Amherst for games.

UConn has a 40k seat stadium and was in a BCS conference at one point. I would think UConn should be able to schedule 3 to 5 P5 schools per year with the schedule looking closer to BYU than UMass.

Reaction Score
Growing up in CT, I thought the Horde was so insightful. The older I get the more I realize they are so insular and lack any creativity or true insights. UMass the blue print for UConn? NFW. This plan is so much bolder. Big East hoops, sub-contracted regional sports network for football, ability to play and fill venues in NYC, 'qualified' as a P5-level opponent for football scheduling, only game in town that commands eyeballs and emotions. Granted, independent football is not an easy road but success there combined with a return to MSG will position us so much better for any future realignment. Time to resurrect the brand, time to get back to positive narratives. The slow bleed in the AAC was killing us slowly. We stopped the bleeding this week. Now we stabilize the patient so we can thrive again. I just hope the therapies we've chosen can cure what ails us. ok...done with the healthcare analogies....have a great weekend folks

I resemble this remark.

Ha.

In all seriousness, the Horde doesn’t really exist anymore. There used to be 7-8 papers covering team home and away, and minimum of 2 and sometimes 3 reporters from each outlet going to the games. Now? Hearst, JI, Courant, Waterbury and New London the only reporters that cover team. Not all those places travel anymore. The tv stations don’t really have dedicated reporters and radio reporters dont doesn’t exist anymore .

That’s just media these days.

Reaction Score
Surprised @TerryD has time to post on the-boneyard with all the UConn bashing he's doing over on the other board...

EDIT: Caught red-handed and deleted his post. LOL

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I couldn't care less about bowl games. Besides, our football team has several years of rebuilding before we need to even start thinking about bowl games. In the grand scheme of things, the only bowl games that actually mean anything are the four playoff games. News flash, UConn was never ever going to qualifying for the football playoff and that's the case for 90% of the teams in D1 football.

As for the other bowl games, they're just a money grab for whoever the bowl sponsor is. They basically force schools and their fans to buy overpriced tickets and travel package to a meaningless game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom