UMass > MAC for all sports in 2025-2026 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UMass > MAC for all sports in 2025-2026

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
The NCAA tournament is likely going to have a dramatic expansion in the near future. In which case, the MAC will no longer be a one-bid conference.
Actually, it probably will still be. The A-10, however, will probably go back to 2+ bids per year. The most likely expansion is simply adding four play-in games to get to 72.

Reaction Score
An annual “U” game between New England’s two premier football teams at Gillette Stadium might make it worthwhile for us to join the MAC as well. Football drives the bus, not basketball. A pathway to the playoffs is what we need.
Why do we have to always do the darn game at a neutral site. Play home and home. Much more fun.

Reaction Score
Not one of the entire UConn/UMass series has ever been played on a neutral site. Given the current state of affairs of both programs, I don't see any change to that.

Reaction Score
This guy goes into some in-depth financials too which favor the MAC - "follow the $$"

Also mentions near 0 chance that UConn would follow football only

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
An annual “U” game between New England’s two premier football teams at Gillette Stadium might make it worthwhile for us to join the MAC as well. Football drives the bus, not basketball. A pathway to the playoffs is what we need.
Us?

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Decent artcle about the move:
UMass move to MAC is brutal blow to its men’s basketball program | Vautour

I especially like the part of:

"The Minutemen’s first trip to the Camellia Bowl or Famous Idaho Potato Bowl will be incredible. UMass fans will be excited and many will might even make the trip. But the third and fourth trip to any of the mid-December forgetabowls isn’t going to fire up the fan base after the novelty of FBS postseason has worn off."

Reaction Score
The A-10 sucks and UMass hasn’t been good at hoop for a quarter century.

These loser basketball media types need to touch grass

Reaction Score

90% of FBS doesn’t have a path.

Reaction Score
That’s because they are even more miserable than CT people.
And also the northeast doesn’t care about college football compared to other parts of the country

Reaction Score
Decent artcle about the move:
UMass move to MAC is brutal blow to its men’s basketball program | Vautour

I especially like the part of:

"The Minutemen’s first trip to the Camellia Bowl or Famous Idaho Potato Bowl will be incredible. UMass fans will be excited and many will might even make the trip. But the third and fourth trip to any of the mid-December forgetabowls isn’t going to fire up the fan base after the novelty of FBS postseason has worn off."
People give uconn but uconn spent the money. They failed strategically as the world was changing.

UMass did what they thought uconn did which was elevate then fit everything else together afterwards.

Reaction Score
The A10 didn't exist in those days. I believe UMass was still in the Yankee Conference when the good doctor played in Amherst.
Yep Dee Rowe years with not so great UConn teams
We actually beat them in Mass 1969-70;
I subscribed to the old “Sports “ more articles less pictures than SI
He had kind words for UConn in an interview he did .
I wish I kept it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom