UMass - Lowell thoughts | The Boneyard

UMass - Lowell thoughts

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
  1. Jalen and Vital had identical totals on the box. 19 points, 5 boards, 3 assists, 3 steals. But Vital did his work in the 1st half, while Jalen stepped up in the 2nd.
  2. We done good on the offensive boards.
  3. I liked 11 steals.
  4. Our 3 point defense was atrocious.
  5. Sure would like to see Polley rebound more.
  6. Tarin and Brendan seem to have come down to earth after looking like the 2nd coming early on.
  7. We are definitely not a one man team offensively this year.
  8. Whalley looked rusty, but the effort was there. Odd to see a lot of doubt (on the 'yard) about Whalley being able to get minutes -- I seem to recall him often being the best of our semi-bigs last year.
  9. It was encouraging to see Jalen not pick up #4 in the 2nd half after getting called for 3 fouls in the first half.
  10. Speaking of Jalen in the 2nd half, a couple of the moves he made with the ball on drives in the 2nd half were like Magic stuff.
  11. Yakwe seems to be getting his feet under him, and is playing with more self-assuredness.
  12. I sure wish these next couple games were later in the season. I feel like we're getting better, but we still haven't shown we can put together a complete game.

Reaction Score
  1. Jalen and Vital had identical totals on the box. 19 points, 5 boards, 3 assists, 3 steals. But Vital did his work in the 1st half, while Jalen stepped up in the 2nd.
  3. I liked 11 steals.
  6. Tarin and Brendan seem to have come down to earth after looking like the 2nd coming early on.
  8. Whalley looked rusty, but the effort was there. Odd to see a lot of doubt (on the 'yard) about Whalley being able to get minutes -- I seem to recall him often being the best of our semi-bigs last year.
  9. It was encouraging to see Jalen not pick up #4 in the 2nd half after getting called for 3 fouls in the first half.
  10. Speaking of Jalen in the 2nd half, a couple of the moves he made with the ball on drives in the 2nd half were like Magic stuff.
  11. Yakwe seems to be getting his feet under him, and is playing with more self-assuredness.
  12. I sure wish these next couple games were later in the season. I feel like we're getting better, but we still haven't shown we can put together a complete game.

Good post Rich.

One thing of note on #1 CV had a real nice game let the game come to him for the most part. Galen wanted his points in the 2nd half and while some were great moves to the hole the missed 3's were not good shots (he was yanked for at least 1) and his atrocious defense offset his solid offense. We need him to be a lot better to win on Sunday - both ends.

Reaction Score
Not a bad post. Have you considered doing a Richz rates where you assign each player an emoji to best reflect how you felt about their performance. The millennials will skip right over this as is.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
  3. I liked 11 steals.

I'm not sure why this continues to be a problem. It's one of the most important things in today's game. I'd rather give up drives to the hoop than open threes. Yes that leads to more post foul troubles, but we have the bodies down there.

Is it just a holdover from KO's regime?

Reaction Score
#7: if Polley hits that and-1 free throw, there are 5 guys in double figures for the second game in a row. It’s amazing how fast they’ve become a Team. And speaking of Polley, he was doing the unmeasured stuff too - the extra passes leading to wide open looks was so fun to watch.

Reaction Score
  3. I liked 11 steals.

Super post, Rich. You nailed all the key points.

#6 is concerning. Our guard depth failed us last night. If we can't get more from Tarin and Brendan, than we don't have the luxury of starting three guards. CV as 6th man becomes an imperative. Whatever happens, I'll wager that the minutes-per-game for Jalen, AG and CV are going to soon top 30 and trend toward 35.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why this continues to be a problem. It's one of the most important things in today's game. I'd rather give up drives to the hoop than open threes. Yes that leads to more post foul troubles, but we have the bodies down there.

Is it just a holdover from KO's regime?

It’s usually something a Hurley-led team excels at, so it’s likely an adjustment/personnel issue. When all the pieces are in place, like the 16-17 URI team (strong guards and a shot blocker like Hassan Martin plus Kuran Iverson doing a little bit of everything), the potential is there for a top defensive team nationally with that approach.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Not a bad post. Have you considered doing a Richz rates where you assign each player an emoji to best reflect how you felt about their performance. The millennials will skip right over this as is.
Being non-millenial-friendly is one of my goals in life. Or is that Millenial-non-friendly?

Reaction Score
Our team seemed to take the foot off the gas pedal when we were up 20+. I’m sure Hurley will address that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom