UMass football - pay day update | The Boneyard

UMass football - pay day update

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
They should put the cash in a duffle bag on the sideline and let Walt Bell retrieve it during the walk off hand shakes.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I guess UMass will end up with a four game schedule...although still a chance I suppose of one more game added in December.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
SO how much money did they lose by doing this? And what is the gain/reward for the butt whippings they incurred/will incur?
Ha - here come the same old posts!!

Reaction Score
A pay day for UConn is seven digits. A pay day for UMass is five digits. I'd have to say our administrators did the right thing in cancelling the season. As stupid as college sports is (just boosting egos), we couldn't look weak or desperate.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
Traveling for games $60k was good to avoid - nt a good look.

Payoff was playing games and some experience while no one is really looking or keeping score.

Reaction Score
Basically, UMass is only covering their travel expenses with these "pay day" games.

UMass football has a number of issues including they are well below the 85 scholarship limit and they are trying to rebuild the roster. They have a young roster and lack bodies which helps explain why they have been crushed by a score of 82-10 in their first two games.

Reaction Score
And much less success. We're the only former Yankee Conference school that stepped up onto the national stage. UMass has a looooong way to go in redeveloping their athletic department. Those Calipari banners gotta go.
Did win a FCS natty with Whipple/Brown and runner up with Brown. Garbers Gorillas were legends in my youth.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
UMass bus is standing by with open dates in December. They are tied up with FAU 11/20 and Liberty 11/27.
But its BYU that has a decision to make here...

Reaction Score
We're the only former Yankee Conference school that stepped up onto the national stage .... only to step on a banana peel, slip and go crashing back into the orchestra seats

Reaction Score
In all seriousness it is very clear now that Whipple did a tremendous job there. He had them someone competitive even though it didn't show up in Win column. They have fallen off a much bigger cliff since he left.
There is only so much one can do there unless someone gets incredibly lucky. Not much financial support.

Reaction Score
UMass needs a new stadium. It's actually kind of surprising they didn't take that into consideration.

I really think Springfield is the perfect place for some of their athletics programs to play. Wouldnt hurt to follow our example. And leave Amherst (or Hadley) to Amherst College. If you want a bigger fanbase, Springfield is the best market for them to set up base. Worcester is too far away.

Reaction Score
UMass needs a new stadium. It's actually kind of surprising they didn't take that into consideration.

I really think Springfield is the perfect place for some of their athletics programs to play. Wouldnt hurt to follow our example. And leave Amherst (or Hadley) to Amherst College. If you want a bigger fanbase, Springfield is the best market for them to set up base. Worcester is too far away.

If the Giants and Jets can share a stadium, maybe the State of Connecticut stadium authority (or whatever it's called) should offer Rentschler Field to UMass. It's a lot closer than Gillette Stadium was and undoubtedly much cheaper to rent.

Reaction Score
there is a loyal following in the Amherst area but much more alumni in eastern Mass

Reaction Score
If the Giants and Jets can share a stadium, maybe the State of Connecticut stadium authority (or whatever it's called) should offer Rentschler Field to UMass. It's a lot closer than Gillette Stadium was and undoubtedly much cheaper to rent.
Actually bothered to see a UMass game at Foxborough. Cheapest football game I could see at Foxborough over the last 10 years, so why not. Hosted Northern Illinois when they were relevant. So few people there that it was fun. Fans were so bored by the on field demolition that it was more a social event.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom