UMass Football Marketing Plan, UConn Game Attendance, Etc | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UMass Football Marketing Plan, UConn Game Attendance, Etc

Reaction Score
Army is a good add because it would presumably raise contract value. UMass is not a good add, as they will not raise contract value, so we’d make even less.

There is no money to share with more schools unless those schools are BYU, Army or Boise St.

This conference could have been better constructed in East/West pods with better schools, it wasn’t. Now adding schools is unlikely.
Here are the schools that I think would help improve the conference:

BYU
Boise
Colorado St (maybe)
SDSU (mostly to help recruit California)
Nevada
Army (maybe)

Unfortunately, we have a few schools we are stuck with.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good point, but regional rivalries are going regain importance as the media model sees a paradigm shift.

I’d add Air Force to your list, especially with an Army add, for the reason you state for Army.

Reaction Score
Good point, but regional rivalries are going regain importance as the media model sees a paradigm shift.

I’d add Air Force to your list, especially with an Army add, for the reason you state for Army.

Air Force was actually on my list until I decided having all 3 was too much and would dilute the conference athletically. Army would bring more money, so I went with them.

Reaction Score
I think Army would be a great add too.
See I’m not in love with the service academies or with football only memberships. I think they have a very limited ceiling year to year. Navy has had a pretty amazing run but they aren’t ever going to exceed that. On the other hand UCF has finished in the top 10 twice in the past 6 years. And I think 4-5 AAC programs have that possibility. None of those are named Navy. Army has a slightly lower ceiling than Navy I suspect for lots of reasons.

Reaction Score
I think the service academies bring interest to a league even if they are middling performers on average. With that, Navy has been better than a middling football performer in the AAC. If they can do it, presumably the other two can as well. What about Army, or Air Force, makes them have a "slightly lower ceiling?"

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I love watching the triple option. Seeing it carve up UConn? Not so much.

Reaction Score
I think Army would be a great add too.
I'd love a home and home. A road trip to West Point would be a must visit. Plus we could watch Matt Walsh's brother Jesse who enters the Academy this fall and should be a key player for the Cadets.

Reaction Score
I'd love a home and home. A road trip to West Point would be a must visit. Plus we could watch Matt Walsh's brother Jesse who enters the Academy this fall and should be a key player for the Cadets.

West Point may be one of the most beautiful places to see a football game. When the Hudson Valley is alive with color and the stadium high above the river. The Corp of Cadets and Army traditions add a whole other dimension to the location. Amazing place! Been there for three games. I tell casual fans if you are going to go to one place catch a college football game go to West Point, preferably in October.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Why? What makes them different than Navy? Serious question.

Why did they lose to Navy by a billion points every year? Good football players don’t enroll there seems to be their biggest issue.

They seem to understand. Look at their schedule.

Reaction Score
Why did they lose to Navy by a billion points every year? Good football players don’t enroll there seems to be their biggest issue.

They seem to understand. Look at their schedule.
My point is I don’t understand WHY they haven’t they gotten the athletes like Navy for the past generation. If inferior coaching and/or lack of institutional commitment that is fixable. Its not like the defense department has decreed that Navy shall be better at football than Army, right?

Reaction Score
My point is I don’t understand WHY they haven’t they gotten the athletes like Navy for the past generation. If inferior coaching and/or lack of institutional commitment that is fixable. Its not like the defense department has decreed that Navy shall be better at football than Army, right?

Couple of years old but a good read if you really have the interest and the time (while sipping a cocktail one afternoon/morning):

Why has Army continued to struggle while Navy and Air Force flourish? (Part 1)

Why Army struggles with rivals excelling (Part 2)

Why Army struggles with rivals excelling (Part 3)

Why Army struggles with rivals excelling (Part 4)

Reaction Score
Thanks! That cleared up a lot for me. Army’s woes are self-inflicted and in theory could be undone. They have gotten better the past couple of years, including finally beating a decent Navy team in December. It will be interesting to see if that is an indication of a paradigm shift over there.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

How about they fix it before they get in a conference with UCF, Houston etc?

Seems like that is the proper order.

Why would anyone want to watch UMass and Army go 1-15 in the AAC every year.

What in the world is the benefit other than a reason to go to Michie which we can all
go to anyway.

Reaction Score
How about they fix it before they get in a conference with UCF, Houston etc?

Seems like that is the proper order.

Why would anyone want to watch UMass and Army go 1-15 in the AAC every year.
Fair enough. I was wondering if it was fixable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom