UMass Fall Semster Mostly Online | The Boneyard

UMass Fall Semster Mostly Online

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

It's not surprising that DIII schools would cancel football, what is surprising is that they still have football.

Its interesting that they will still allow their sports teams to practice. Given that these schools have no TV contracts I think its safe to say they will save money by cancelling sports.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
So, are they fielding a team up there? Are they coming to E Htfd Labor Day?

Reaction Score
It's not surprising that DIII schools would cancel football, what is surprising is that they still have football.

Its interesting that they will still allow their sports teams to practice. Given that these schools have no TV contracts I think its safe to say they will save money by cancelling sports.
Why would they want to drop football? Oldest football playing fields are in D3 and they play in bus leagues. No need to fly. Except for the UAA. That conference is some of the richest schools in the country.

Wesleyan is 1-0 against Michigan. Game was in the 1880s. UConn was only maybe 2 or 3 years old and had no football team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The NESCAC has some really old traditional rivalries. Williams Amherst is the 4th most played game in .the country and dates to 1884. Colby Bates and Bowdoin have been playing each other since the 1880s. Wesleyan,Williams and Amherst, the Little Three, dates to 1889. Division 3 athletics, especially NESCAC level is not overly worried about money. The last figures I could find are from 2015 but they give a sense of costs. Connecticut College spent .the least, around $3.7 million. Conn is the only one without football. Williams had the biggest budget, around $7 million. The rest where in the $5-6 million range. That is the WHOLE ATHLETIC BUDGET. Not the salary of one head coach. They generally sponsor 24-30 varsity sports. Wesleyan sponsors 28. Colby has 30. Williams has 32. The NESCAC itself sponsors 26. Generally speaking 30-40% of students compete on a varsity athletics team. It is very much what college athletics used to be. I attend a Wesleyan game or 2 every year. The football is pretty good, well played and the games are over in under 3 hours. Amazing what no tv Time outs can do to speed up the game.

Reaction Score
The NESCAC has some really old traditional rivalries. Williams Amherst is the 4th most played game in .the country and dates to 1884. Colby Bates and Bowdoin have been playing each other since the 1880s. Wesleyan,Williams and Amherst, the Little Three, dates to 1889. Division 3 athletics, especially NESCAC level is not overly worried about money. The last figures I could find are from 2015 but they give a sense of costs. Connecticut College spent .the least, around $3.7 million. Conn is the only one without football. Williams had the biggest budget, around $7 million. The rest where in the $5-6 million range. That is the WHOLE ATHLETIC BUDGET. Not the salary of one head coach. They generally sponsor 24-30 varsity sports. Wesleyan sponsors 28. Colby has 30. Williams has 32. The NESCAC itself sponsors 26. Generally speaking 30-40% of students compete on a varsity athletics team. It is very much what college athletics used to be. I attend a Wesleyan game or 2 every year. The football is pretty good, well played and the games are over in under 3 hours. Amazing what no tv Time outs can do to speed up the game.

Great post. You forgot to give Trinity a little love. Their fb, baseball, hockey and squash teams have been excellent.

Reaction Score
Great post. You forgot to give Trinity a little love. Their fb, baseball, hockey and squash teams have been excellent.
I am pretty sure Trinity has the highest acceptance rate in the NESCAC.

Reaction Score
I am pretty sure Trinity has the highest acceptance rate in the NESCAC.
LOL. The joke in the NESCAC is Trinity has the lowest admission standards and the cheat on that.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Talked to a football player for Western Connecticut and stated that Utica isn't playing this coming season and they are still unsure if there will be any games at all. He won't know until August at the earliest

Reaction Score
Why would they want to drop football? Oldest football playing fields are in D3 and they play in bus leagues. No need to fly. Except for the UAA. That conference is some of the richest schools in the country.

Wesleyan is 1-0 against Michigan. Game was in the 1880s. UConn was only maybe 2 or 3 years old and had no football team.
Biggest Little Game in America - Williams v. Amherst. Continuous since 1884. Watched a few. Pure football tradition at its finest, and as satisfying as any game you can watch. The game three years ago? was one of the best games I’ve ever seen, bar none. Check out any top 20 D3 level game and you would be asking why aren’t they FCS.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom