UMass faculty set to vote on motion endorsing move back to FCS | The Boneyard

UMass faculty set to vote on motion endorsing move back to FCS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
@GazzetteUMass

There is a motion that will be presented by the fac senate today to call on admin to consider reversing decision to move football to FBS.

Seems UConn's little pet will have a lively discussion about UMass' FBS dreams. While the faculty senate vote is nonbinding, UMass has little skin in the game so far. Definitely is not an easy decision for its stakeholders to make.

Reaction Score
It is an easy decision to make--Go back. There isn't a good landing spot for the lesser programs and since UMASS hasn't built a stadium or really nice facilities, why take a bath?

If we hadn't built great facilities and a stadium, I couldn't justify hanging there.

Reaction Score
I would prefer to see UMass succeed. They could play in Amherst or Springfield and in a matter of time, we can develop an epic rivalry at the FBS level. There's no one in NE besides us and BCU. I could definitely imagine it will be a long while before the B1G ever considers UMass though.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I would prefer to see UMass succeed. They could play in Amherst or Springfield and in a matter of time, we can develop an epic rivalry at the FBS level. There's no one in NE besides us and BCU. I could definitely imagine it will be a long while before the B1G ever considers UMass though.

I agree. If UMass reverses course, Uconn would really be on an island.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It is an easy decision to make--Go back. There isn't a good landing spot for the lesser programs and since UMASS hasn't built a stadium or really nice facilities, why take a bath?

If we hadn't built great facilities and a stadium, I couldn't justify hanging there.

I don't see what's in it for them. They should probably go back. FBS football is expensive, and there is almost no chance that UMass won't lose a ton of money because of it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't see what's in it for them. They should probably go back. FBS football is expensive, and there is almost no chance that UMass won't lose a ton of money because of it.

You must know something that Georgia State, UNC Charlotte, Old Dominion, UMass, Western Kentucky, UT San Antonio and Texas State don't.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You must know something that Georgia State, UNC Charlotte, Old Dominion, UMass, Western Kentucky, UT San Antonio and Texas State don't.

That wouldn't take much...out thinking those imbeciles isn't exactly a challenge.
Most tranistioning schools will lose more money than they did in FCS. It's a lottery ticket that is unlikely to pay off.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I don't see what has changed for UMass since they moved up. It's not like they were in a BCS conference to begin with.... maybe the scarcity of paydays with 'Big-5' conference schools with increased league schedules. Of course if they remove the FCS rule from bowl eligibility a bunch more money games open up.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
umass has a top 5 landing spot in the mac for teams to go from nothing to something so quick. they really must have something else i play thats hurting them if this is true. i mean uconn and usf went from nothing to big east. who else made jumps like that? they went fcs to mac which is a good jump. they have a solid home that wants to expand east. hell umass could get maine and unh to join soon as fcs dies more. imagine un, maine and sbrook all with umass and buff out east. those programs can live a smaller d1 life and do well for themselves and there puck together. kraft or something is going bad tho i bet we will never know what.

-stinks as i would like a mac umass for ever as a rival game and a opening game that means something as they eventually wouldn't be a push over
-new england will hurt again from recruiting woes. what umass brought was a sister school where lower level kids had a backup. just like mac schools work with b10 schools. umass worked with uconn thru camps and offering kids and jucos. it was a chance for more home growns to stay home and play. that hurts in the grand scheme of new england becoming a fball region

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
It's a non-binding vote by their faculty.... I'm still trying to figure out why there's a multiple post thread about it.

Reaction Score

Looking at that list of illustrious names, I bet he does know something.

Reaction Score
Many more of these schools should get out of FBS. They are cutting academics and programs while losing $20 million a year on football. It's unjustifiably stupid.

Reaction Score
I agree. If UMass reverses course, Uconn would really be on an island.

We are already on an island with Gilligan and the proffesor (GDL) running the show. The Skipper and Mary Ann were on an island when the rescue ship cruised by.

Reaction Score
Many more of these schools should get out of FBS. They are cutting academics and programs while losing $20 million a year on football. It's unjustifiably stupid.

This is why the big conferences won't likely ever leave the NCAA. They already have a substantial voting bloc as the NCAA governance is formed, and they have discussed the idea for 3 years, internally, of separating into three subdivisions. They might not need to do so... as the other schools might just wind up going down to FCS. That will leave FBS to continue deciding how to share its own money.

Reaction Score
If there's no commitment to FBS, then they should go back to FCS, unreal that they are at this point.

Reaction Score

Well one thing I know is that Georgia St, Charlotte, ODU, UTSA, and Texas St are located a lot closer to recruiting bases, bowl games, growing populations, CFB-loving residents, and TV markets than UMass is.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see UMass stay. I want to beat them, but if we're in the ACC or B1G, I don't mind them being in the NNNNBE, and us playing against them. The more games against geographical rivals, the better.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I think you need to look up the definition of the word epic.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I don't see what has changed for UMass since they moved up. It's not like they were in a BCS conference to begin with.... maybe the scarcity of paydays with 'Big-5' conference schools with increased league schedules. Of course if they remove the FCS rule from bowl eligibility a bunch more money games open up.
What has changed is that their dream destination (BE) is no longer worth the effort.

Reaction Score
And if you read the uMess board they think they have a better shot at the B1G than we do. They are more delusional than HFD.

I feel bad for them. If we waited any longer to upgrade we'd be in their situation, which is a heck of a lot worse than where we stand today. I am rooting for UMass to succeed modestly at FBS and provide UConn with a nice easy opener every year. I don't want to root for a team to fold unless its BCU. That being said if anyone there thinks they have a chance at the B1G I pity their poor soul.

Reaction Score
And if you read the uMess board they think they have a better shot at the B1G than we do. They are more delusional than HFD.

HFD is not delusional, psychotic maybe, but not delusional.

Reaction Score
That being said if anyone there thinks they have a chance at the B1G I pity their poor soul.
I hope you pity the souls of B1G administrators. I have an idea, you can become a UMass fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom