UMass as leverage | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UMass as leverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
umass-starts playing in the mac next year, just got beat up by bcu. bball and other sports are not anything to look at either. new england isn't a great recruit base to start with in sports, its small enough with uconn/bc already. what mk do they bring?
ucf- has been beating bcs teams(some of them good 1's) for the last 4 years. they have a competitive bball program that is rising quick. good baseball, great soccer and so on. fl is a huge recruit base in hs sports, half of the ncaa gets players down there in the boat loads. great mk add to boot...

big big difference between the 2, so no this isn't the same as usf fans and ucf...

Reaction Score
Hopefully UCONN will schedule UMASS is the near future, that game would certainly be more interesting than Buffalo. If we don't schedule them it will only be because we fear losing to them and we don't want to legitimize them. Just like BC was and is afraid of losing to us.

uMess is already on the schedule. They come to the Rent next year and we can kick their all over the field.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I just don't understand why anyone would even think UMass. UMass does not play a big academic, social, or athletic role in Massachusetts. It's not hard to understand when consider all of the colleges in Massachusetts. BC struggles with the same issues as they are less relevant in Boston than Harvard and MIT from an academic and social standpoint. Remember, the biggest college football game in Boston is still Harvard/Yale. The media rarely reports on BC and it is even worse for UMass.

Having lived in both Mass and CT, there could not be a bigger difference between the relationship between the state and the State's flagship university. What made UConn unique and perceived as a sleeping giant was the lack of professional sports teams in the state, the strong relationship between the state and the school, and a strong fan base as judged by men's and woman's basketball. UMass has none of the above.

UMass has 68k students through their system. There are 220k alumni in Massachussets alone. Mass is one of the 10 largest and among the 10 wealthiest states in the nation. It is a tremendous market without a state school, and BCU, which is a national university and national alumni base, is ripe for getting picked off within that market.

As we saw in Connecticut with the rise of the hoops and football program, non-alum fans will come out of the woodwork for the state school. they generally don't do that for a private school to the same extent.

Reaction Score
The term "yankee" actually comes from a British doctor making from of disheveled settlers here, comparing them to members of a gay club in London. The NY Yankees might have to change their name soon....

Reaction Score
I love when waylon lectures us common folk about market studies. It must be so frustrating for him to be the smartest person he's ever known.

As if he's too stupid to realize that the college football market in Mass (like NYC) isn't the same as Omaha, Columbus (OH), Atlanta, or Austin. The reason we shouldn't consider UMass is the reason Nebraska was invited to the Big 10 and not Rutgers. It doesn't matter how wealthy, or how large the population is if they don't care enough to spend money on your product.

If we add UMass, the ACC will sit back and laugh. They will call our bluff, we will water down the big east, and recruiting will become even more difficult for us. Not to mention the fact it will jeopardize the already fragile BCS status. We don't need a market study to know that. If UMass was as valuable as Waylon claims, why isn't the ACC interested?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
0% of a large market is still 0%.

From any sort of business sense, it's entirely too early to even think about UMass in this light. You are essentially betting on a penny stock. They are a start up, and most start ups fail. If UMass meets the next few years with success on the field and putting fannies in the stands, then it may be worth revisiting.

Reaction Score
I have several UMass alum friends who live in eastern MA and big sport fans. They could not care that their schools football team went to the MAC. BC owns the area and look how crappy they do in terms of getting butts in the seats. Eastern MA is a pro area and UMass would never capture the interest. To say it could swell as it did in CT is a farce. CT does not have the pro teams to deal with and UMass, eventhough it is the state school, doesn't have the brand recognition even in its own state as UConn does (thank you Jim and Geno).

Reaction Score
The NFL flopped in Boston about 4 or 5 times before the Patriots succeeded.

Reaction Score
I love when waylon lectures us common folk about market studies. It must be so frustrating for him to be the smartest person he's ever known.

As if he's too stupid to realize that the college football market in Mass (like NYC) isn't the same as Omaha, Columbus (OH), Atlanta, or Austin. The reason we shouldn't consider UMass is the reason Nebraska was invited to the Big 10 and not Rutgers. It doesn't matter how wealthy, or how large the population is if they don't care enough to spend money on your product.

If we add UMass, the ACC will sit back and laugh. They will call our bluff, we will water down the big east, and recruiting will become even more difficult for us. Not to mention the fact it will jeopardize the already fragile BCS status. We don't need a market study to know that. If UMass was as valuable as Waylon claims, why isn't the ACC interested?

Just my opinion, but I find most of Waylon's/Nelson's posts to be interesting and good reads even if I don't agree with them. WingU's posts generally seem kind of douchie...but that is just me.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I have several UMass alum friends who live in eastern MA and big sport fans. They could not care that their schools football team went to the MAC. BC owns the area and look how crappy they do in terms of getting butts in the seats. Eastern MA is a pro area and UMass would never capture the interest. To say it could swell as it did in CT is a farce. CT does not have the pro teams to deal with and UMass, eventhough it is the state school, doesn't have the brand recognition even in its own state as UConn does (thank you Jim and Geno).
As a Mass resident, I agree. Honestly nobody here knows or cares about college football, other than a reasonable number of BC alumns, and the folks who are interested in Harvard, and the Williams - Amherst game. Frankly, Connecticut isn't mcuh different. It's not a college football market. Nor is California other than some pockets of USC and UCLA fans. When I lived in San Jose, nobody knew or cared anything about Stanford, Cal or SJSU football. When I visit my parents in South Carolina, college football is THE sport, along with high school football. It will never, ever be that in MA, or NY.

Reaction Score
Just my opinion, but I find most of Waylon's/Nelson's posts to be interesting and good reads even if I don't agree with them. WingU's posts generally seem kind of douchie...but that is just me.
Then you must not have a problem with someone creating your opinion for you, and then in a generally condescending tone, talk about how stupid your opinion is.

In other words, you probably aren't bright enough to realize when he's being a to you. I keep it simple for you so there's no confusion.

Reaction Score
I'm sensing a lot of anger directed at one another here. Good rule of thumb, if you don't have something nice to say don't say anything.:cool:

Reaction Score
Before people decide that MA would never support their state university for D1 football, please remind yourself how much fan support UCONN football received when we were D2. I think its a good idea, and I doubt BC really wants to see UMASS in the BIG EAST.

So the Big East really wants another team that struggles to sell out a 40,000 seat stadium when they are competing for conference championships. Another team in a market where college football comes after the NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL?

The Big East wants another team that will play in the same stadium as, but get fewer fans than, MLS' New England Revolution?

We want another team that doesn't travel well, won't impress any bowl committee, and will jeopardize our BCS rankings?

Yes, an upgrade in UMass will make recruiting harder. No, this is nothing like USF/UCF. UCF brings a lot more to the table than UMess. I could live with the recruiting being more difficult if UMess brought as much to the table as UCF, or Houston. They don't, they add no value. We are not in a position to bring in projects that add no immediate value, and only the potential for long-term positives.

Reaction Score
So the Big East really wants another team that struggles to sell out a 40,000 seat stadium when they are competing for conference championships. Another team in a market where college football comes after the NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL?

The Big East wants another team that will play in the same stadium as, but get fewer fans than, MLS' New England Revolution?

We want another team that doesn't travel well, won't impress any bowl committee, and will jeopardize our BCS rankings?

Yes, an upgrade in UMass will make recruiting harder. No, this is nothing like USF/UCF. UCF brings a lot more to the table than UMess. I could live with the recruiting being more difficult if UMess brought as much to the table as UCF, or Houston. They don't, they add no value. We are not in a position to bring in projects that add no immediate value, and only the potential for long-term positives.
When we were IAA how many fans came to the home games?

Reaction Score
The infatuation with UMass baffles me. Do you realize they averaged 3,300 for basketball and 13,000 for football last year? Ok, they would probably average more in 1A football, but they play top level basketball and they average 3,300! There is almost no fan support or state interest. There are plenty of better choices than UMass for expansion.

Reaction Score
When we were IAA how many fans came to the home games?
I don't know, I'm not a Saracuse fan. Attendance is just one of the many reasons not to add UMess.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
One thing that should be alarming about UMass and attendance is the track record of their basketball program. When they were very good (and by veryu good I am talking about being capable at remaining in the top ten for a couple of entire seasons and legitimately making a run at the national championship without requiring more than at worst a mild upset in the final four), they did sell the joint out. Once they started to fall a little bit from that point, it took a major opponent to attract a decent crowd and less than a decade removed from those glory days, the Mullins Center became a wasteland.

In all candor, a school that size with an on campus basketball arena should never draw less than 4,000 fans for a basketball gamae and when they are playing a conference (or reasonably prominent non conference) opponent, they should get closer to 8,000, even if they best they can hope for is a close to .500 season. UMass as basketball program was little mor than a fad to their 'fanbase' and like mood rings and the pet rock, someone may find a refuse to lose t-shirt at a garage sale and the seller will giggle to admit that he or she actually was caught up in that fad.

Reaction Score
Aren't the UMass called the Minutemen? I don't like that name, it's the same name that vigilante border patrol group uses. We should not be playing teams with nicknames that are offensive. I was so glad when St. Johns changed from the Redmen to the Red Storm.

I think the Patriots should change their name then too. Sometimes Patriotism offends the PC crowd. Can't have that.

Reaction Score
The UMass "minutemen" nickname is actually the only thing remotely cool about UMass. That and some of the members of Pixies went there.

Some people are so PC that they should stop communicating with every

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Good point. Lets add Alabama and Florida instead. Those are the alternatives, right?

Reaction Score
Good point. Lets add Alabama and Florida instead. Those are the alternatives, right?

Instead of creating a strawman, why don't you attempt to refute the list of reasons why UMass isn't a good idea?

We have better alternatives than UMass. UCF, Navy, and ECU for starters.

It's amazing how duplicitous you are. The Big East is so good we aren't harmed by losing Pitt/Quse, but so bad we can't do any better than UMass. UConn is so valuable, Herbst herself is responsible if some schools deflect to the Big 12 (rather than Quse/Pitt who put us in this position), but UConn isn't valuable enough to get an ACC invite. And somehow Quse/Pitt were valuable enough for the ACC to add them, but not so valuable that they can't be easily replaced by Houston and UMass. LMAO.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I read this post the other day and decided not to reply. I was just relooking for news, saw this and it made ROFL. UMass as leverage is one of the most absurd comments in this whole realignment morass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom