UMass AD Bamford: UMass Working On “Robust Scheduling Package” With UConn | The Boneyard

UMass AD Bamford: UMass Working On “Robust Scheduling Package” With UConn

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Unless something changes, doesn't appear UConn/UMass will play in 2022, as UMass already has 12 games booked.

They've done a pretty nice job of scheduling through 2025.

Reaction Score
Unless something changes, doesn't appear UConn/UMass will play in 2022, as UMass already has 12 games booked.

They've done a pretty nice job of scheduling through 2025.

They could easily delay one of their 2022 opponents a year or 2. IMO, if it's a robust deal, it will be every year.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
They could easily delay one of their 2022 opponents a year or 2. IMO, if it's a robust deal, it will be every year.

I like how UMass has scheduled Army the weekend before Thanksgiving almost every year. Something like that that's an annual tradition would be kinda cool.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Hmmm, you knew this was coming, but for some reason the term “robust” scares me.

We probably just made a deal to play each other multiple times a year if ever screwed over by a late cancelation.

Reaction Score
Not multiple times a year, but definitely sounds like this will be an annual meeting as long as we're an FBS indy. We'll see.

Reaction Score
Hmmm, you knew this was coming, but for some reason the term “robust” scares me.

We probably just made a deal to play each other multiple times a year if ever screwed over by a late cancelation.
I think you're overreacting here. I'm guessing just a multi-year deal that's consistent if not every year. Good for both programs at this point.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think you're overreacting here. I'm guessing just a multi-year deal that's consistent if not every year. Good for both programs at this point.
You don’t get my humor .... just being light here

Reaction Score
Nobody will be complaining when we play Providence, St Johns, and Seton Hall two times a year in basketball, why complain about playing UMASS twice a year in football? Yes it is unique, but being independent is unique, we are already through the looking glass, to hell with conformity.

The move to the Big East was about playing local rivals and saving money, UMASS football checks off both boxes. As long as both games count towards bowl eligibility then do it. Personally i'd rather see both teams try to lobby their way into the MAC for football and try to build that conference up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Same here metsfan2323, even open to CUSA FB only. The MAC seems cold to the idea, but who knows, except they will not share much CFP or media money. Needs to be financial beneficial to the MAC is a line from MAC commissioner Joh Steinbrecher, who is a very good comish and noting a Ohio U. grad.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Yet, here we are . . .
Yeah, I'm not saying it isn't happening, but if their AD isn't pressing us for basketball games as part of a deal he is asleep at the wheel. FWIW I doubt Hurley would have any strong objections to playing once in a while, just don't lock up a ten game series again. Geno has never scheduled umass as far as I know.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The idea any of this is or isn't "big time" should be clear to most by now.

If it's an FCS buy-game or flying the team to Old Dominion, or Coastal Carolina, I'd much rather the home/home with UMass.

It's not like we're going to have a lot of the teams on the schedule that people care about. May as well make one familiar at least.

Reaction Score
Yuck.

But we must play the hand we have been dealt. If it is more profitable to play a neutral site game at Fenway or Foxboro it should be considered.

Reaction Score
If this was announced five years ago, everyone here would've puked. Now it's seen as a positive.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If this was announced five years ago, everyone here would've puked. Now it's seen as a positive.
Series with UMass versus an empty spot in the schedule? Mmmm, yeah, I see it as positive.

Who knows it could end up being good for both of us if the fan bases embrace it. I'd hope that it would be lopsided in our favor... eventually.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I remember when 90% of the posts on this board said we were too good for AAC football.

Now we’re happy to be linked with UMass.

Very sad.

Reaction Score
You leave the AAC to "lobby" for an invite to the MAC and play basketball in a watered down, dieing conference?? Come on, leaving the AAC was a mistake but begging for inclusion in maybe the third best G-5 league is just an embarrassing slap in the face. The AAC is moving up. The Big East is sliding down(just wait for the next TV negotiation if you don't believe me). The MAC is what it is, a third rate league for a group of small schools willing to take whatever scraps ESPN will throw them. UConn, take your chances with independence. You control more of your revenue and you can possibly parlay your basketball for a few decent paydays for both basketball and football. Football independence could be fun for the fans but if it can't at least pay for itself then leaving the AAC was the worst mistake UConn could have made. Time will tell.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom