UMass 41 NMST 30 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UMass 41 NMST 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
NMSU was 7-6 last year, including a win over Bowling Green in the Quick Lane Bowl. They started 0-4 and 1-5 before going 6-1 the rest of the way, including a sound thrashing of fading Liberty in Lynchburg. Prior to that, they were one of worst teams in D1 - 2-10 in 2021, 1-1 in the spring of 2021 after cancelling the 2020 season, 2-10 in 2019 and 3-9 in 2018. Like UConn, they were a feel good, turnaround story last year.
in fairness, by the time NMSU destroyed Liberty, the Flames were in a bad headspace as Hugh Freeze had just announced his departure to Auburn, and the program basically threw the towel on the season from there. this was worse than a "fading" team. They were emotionally drained.

The team that NMSU beat that day was a shadow of the motivated Liberty that Freeze was leading earlier in the season. Strangely enough, I believe the last "true game" of liberty's where they played with full heart/soul, was UConn.

NMSU would not keep up with a refreshed, Jamey Chadwell-led Flames squad in 2023.
I wouldn't put much stock into that win by NMSU, is my point.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Don Brown is a very good coach, but he does not have the talent to hang with us. Give me UConn 34 UMass 17
Too early to get a read on that one . Hope it s a barn burner. You want the axis of major college sports in NE to run through Amherst
and Storrs. Basketball is a no brainer but Hockey and Football may be compelling.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think it makes no difference for UConn at all.
Having a strong New England football base is good for Connecticut. It helps recruits give greater consideration to staying home and it makes our games against one another more meaningful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom