UL using political pressure to get into the B12 ahead of the BE | The Boneyard

UL using political pressure to get into the B12 ahead of the BE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well if UL then what happens to the BE because there were reports a while back that the BB schools would split if UL left.

Reaction Score
I bet WVU and UL go. No way they indian give on WVU at this point. If that happens, the whole Cincy discussion gets opened up I'm sure.

Reaction Score
What pressure could they apply?!? It s nothing like the UVa-VT situation back in 04.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Mitch McConnell is one of the most powerful men in Washington, and of the same party as the delegations from Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas.

Reaction Score
Mitch McConnell is one of the most powerful men in Washington, and of the same party as the delegations from Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas.

He is also an UL football season ticket holder and a fan. He is using his connections to pressure OU president Boren in helping UL get in over WVU. The fact they are fighting for #10 means B12 will stop at 10. I also would much prefer WVU staying vs. UL but BE has no say in this matter right now.

I wish some politician would push for a BE/B12 merger and leave no one out but we all know every school is out for themselves so this won't happen.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
All of the reports have put the blame on the Kentucky political pressure. But I am wondering if the following scenario occured as well:

It was widely reported that Texas wanted UL over WVU. However, Neinas probably told WVU that they were being invited because they had enough votes to approve them over UL as the 10th team (with the votes from all other B12 schools enought to offset the Texas no votes). However, knowing Texas' thoughts on this and their ego...they may have forced the issue and said "if you take WVU instead of UL, then we are not agreeing to the terms to keep the Big 12 together." Based on Texas' reputation and history, I would not put it past them to pull a power move like that at all. Everyone knows that Texas dictates the Big 12 policies and they will not relinquish their power. Texas gets what Texas wants (which is why Colorado, Nebraska, aTm, Missouri have all left now).

I haven't seen this scenario reported anywhere at all. But I would not be surprised if this is the way it went down and Texas and their 'sources' are laying blame at the Kentucky politicians feet for a convenient scape goat.

Section205

I'm just filled with useless information.
Reaction Score
Political pressure....sounds familiar doesn't it?

Reaction Score
H
All of the reports have put the blame on the Kentucky political pressure. But I am wondering if the following scenario occured as well:

It was widely reported that Texas wanted UL over WVU. However, Neinas probably told WVU that they were being invited because they had enough votes to approve them over UL as the 10th team (with the votes from all other B12 schools enought to offset the Texas no votes). However, knowing Texas' thoughts on this and their ego...they may have forced the issue and said "if you take WVU instead of UL, then we are not agreeing to the terms to keep the Big 12 together." Based on Texas' reputation and history, I would not put it past them to pull a power move like that at all. Everyone knows that Texas dictates the Big 12 policies and they will not relinquish their power. Texas gets what Texas wants (which is why Colorado, Nebraska, aTm, Missouri have all left now).

I haven't seen this scenario reported anywhere at all. But I would not be surprised if this is the way it went down and Texas and their 'sources' are laying blame at the Kentucky politicians feet for a convenient scape goat.

Here is why that would surprise me. By all indications, they are currently negotiating for Mizzou to stay. What is the point of that if, while you're doing it, you are at the same time saying no one's opinion but mine counts?

But who knows any more

Reaction Score
He is also an UL football season ticket holder and a fan. He is using his connections to pressure OU president Boren in helping UL get in over WVU. The fact they are fighting for #10 means B12 will stop at 10. I also would much prefer WVU staying vs. UL but BE has no say in this matter right now.

I wish some politician would push for a BE/B12 merger and leave no one out but we all know every school is out for themselves so this won't happen.

In state political pressures are a lot different. Virginia s Governor controls a lot of purse strings among other incentives that forced UVa s hand. I see the drift, but i m not buying it.

Reaction Score
Well, if McConnell is now involved it's time for Blumenthal to walk into his office and talk about bipartisan ways to stop all of this.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
My theory:

Oklahoma and Texas have been going at it for months now, first over the LHN, then over Beebe, and then over expansion. Oklahoma is 2-0 so far, because they basically have the rest of the Big 12 in their pocket because Texas is so universally hated, and Texas has a high pain threshold on this stuff as long as they can keep their LHN. Oklahoma has publicly stated they want 12 members, and Texas wants 10. Oklahoma may have manufactured a stalemate to force invitations to both and then throw Cincinnati into the mix to round it out.

Just a theory.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
I don't think its that deep. It's the Missouri mess. If Missouri announced I'd agree. Now it's game playing and every team is out for themselves.

Reaction Score
My theory:

Oklahoma and Texas have been going at it for months now, first over the LHN, then over Beebe, and then over expansion. Oklahoma is 2-0 so far, because they basically have the rest of the Big 12 in their pocket because Texas is so universally hated, and Texas has a high pain threshold on this stuff as long as they can keep their LHN. Oklahoma has publicly stated they want 12 members, and Texas wants 10. Oklahoma may have manufactured a stalemate to force invitations to both and then throw Cincinnati into the mix to round it out.

Just a theory.

I disagree with going to 12 for the B12. The TV deal is set at 10 and they just replaced Missouri and A&M with TCU and UL/WVU, there is no way TV guys gonna pay the same per team if they go to 12 with UL, WVU and Cincy. There is also no way Texas and OU would want to take a pay cut just to go to 12 unless the B12 championship somehow made up for it. By losing A&M and Missouri, B12 just lost 2 huge TV markets and there is no way UL or WVU can replace that.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I disagree with going to 12 for the B12. The TV deal is set at 10 and they just replaced Missouri and A&M with TCU and UL/WVU, there is no way TV guys gonna pay the same per team if they go to 12 with UL, WVU and Cincy. There is also no way Texas and OU would want to take a pay cut just to go to 12 unless the B12 championship somehow made up for it. By losing A&M and Missouri, B12 just lost 2 huge TV markets and there is no way UL or WVU can replace that.

They will get the money easily. Snap of the fingers. It's only $20MM per school. In this market, that is peanuts.

Reaction Score
Well, if McConnell is now involved it's time for Blumenthal to walk into his office and talk about bipartisan ways to stop all of this.

I could imagine that conversation:

Hello ACC and Swofford.

Dickie Blumenthal here.

I am the guy who sued you a few years ago but now I want to make nice.

Click.

Hello, hello...

Reaction Score
The "guy" who sued them is the President of their newest member -- the University of Pittsburgh. So I guess that admission must have been done entirely by email.

And maybe in your dreams you hang up the phone on U.S. Senators, but normal people don't.

Are you here for a reason?

Reaction Score
I say it is time for our senators to get involved in this process. If B12 somehow take UL, WVU and Cincy, it would really leave schools and UCONN and RU out hang to dry. I really hope it won't get to that point.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Joe Lieberman:

I'm thinking a surge would help settle things. Donald Rumsfeld has my support as the new BCS Commissioner and Dick Cheney at the NCAA. The Al Queda element at ESPN and their War of Terror must be contained.

Reaction Score
The "guy" who sued them is the President of their newest member -- the University of Pittsburgh. So I guess that admission must have been done entirely by email.

And maybe in your dreams you hang up the phone on U.S. Senators, but normal people don't.

Are you here for a reason?

Jeez, could you lighten up and recognize something posted in part as tongue in cheek?

Of course, Blumenthal would be extended the courtesies that one is expected to extend to a senator but if you think that would be more than a polite hearing that is unlikely because there are more senators in states that like the conference situation than in those who don't and it still takes 60 votes to get anything thru the senate last time I looked.

As to my being here for a 'reason' that is the key word, reason. Just because I do not drink the kool-aid and automatically parrot the line that UConn should absolutely be at the top of the expansion list for every conference in existence or to be created does not make me a troll. UConn like every school out there has its plusses and minuses as far as going to a new conference and if I try to point out the other side of things whether about UConn, other BE schools like Rutgers, TV contracts, etc. from time to time and that offends you then please stop reading and responding to my posts.

Reaction Score
Jeez, could you lighten up and recognize something posted in part as tongue in cheek?

Of course, Blumenthal would be extended the courtesies that one is expected to extend to a senator but if you think that would be more than a polite hearing that is unlikely because there are more senators in states that like the conference situation than in those who don't and it still takes 60 votes to get anything thru the senate last time I looked.

As to my being here for a 'reason' that is the key word, reason. Just because I do not drink the kool-aid and automatically parrot the line that UConn should absolutely be at the top of the expansion list for every conference in existence or to be created does not make me a troll. UConn like every school out there has its plusses and minuses as far as going to a new conference and if I try to point out the other side of things whether about UConn, other BE schools like Rutgers, TV contracts, etc. from time to time and that offends you then please stop reading and responding to my posts.

So if you're not a troll why is Nordenberg led Pittsburgh in? Why is Syracuse in when their Chancellor called Leahy a liar in a public forum? If you want to convince anyone you aren't a troll, maybe once acknowledging the side of an argument other than "we suck" and "we're screwed" would get you there.

Reaction Score
We could start a petition on FB asking the justice department to file an antitrust lawsuit against the BCS. Hey, it worked for Utah, right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom