UK praising on TRUTV | The Boneyard

UK praising on TRUTV

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Was a segment like this ever done for us? I feel like we never get enough credit for what we have done the past 25 years.

This is nauseating to watch. There is nothing I want more than for us to take their spot on the pedestal and surpassing their collection of banners. Media sensationalism at its best. The sad part is recruits see this press and it becomes subconscious for them when it comes to choosing a college.

UConn_Top_Dog

Reaction Score
The history part about race is interesting though.

UConn_Top_Dog

Reaction Score
Closing line by Coach Cal...

"We are the golden standard of college basketball"

LMAO! Creating a culture of one and done players and still losing to us twice in the final four is the golden standard?

UK can have their 10 All Americans. Give us just 2 of those players and we still beat them 9 times out of 10! I hope the NCAA exposes them for what they really are.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Yes, the whole thing is absurd, but Ive been saying this for a long time now, its not about reality at high level college sports, its about the perception you put forward. Calipari has molded the media to work greatly in his favor in his time at UK, so much so that they basically re-write history in their favor every new season. The result is the constant influx of All-Americans which you see.

presskh

Memphis Fan
Reaction Score
I'm pulling for anyone who plays UK. I can't stand the media love fest with them. You are right about Calipari - great recruiter, great at hype, average game coach.

Reaction Score
Who cares? UK gets more press than us, they're what's hot right now. Deal with it or don't watch. It doesn't last forever.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
A Hampton win would be hilarious. Big Hampton fan tonight.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
A Hampton win would be hilarious. Big Hampton fan tonight.

Hampton has no chance. T-Sam has a better shot of beating Ray Allen in a 3-point contest.

Reaction Score
It's absurd that people on here continue to insist Calipari's an average game coach.

Reaction Score
UConn_Top_Dog said:
Was a segment like this ever done for us? I feel like we never get enough credit for what we have done the past 25 years. This is nauseating to watch. There is nothing I want more than for us to take their spot on the pedestal and surpassing their collection of banners. Media sensationalism at its best. The sad part is recruits see this press and it becomes subconscious for them when it comes to choosing a college.
I agree, they're the "cool" thing now. The big reason for it though is that the last 5 years has been phenomenal for them. 2011 they make the FF, we win it. 2012 they win the title, we lose in 1st round. 2013 they have a bad year and make the NIT, we are banned. 2014 they are in the title game...we win it. This year we were irrelevant most of the season to anyone outside of the area and lost in the first round of the NIT while they were number 1 wire to wire going undefeated while being a heavy fav to not only make the FF again but to win the whole thing and go undefeated which happens once every 4 or 5 decades. So while we boast about our last 20+ years and have had a great 4 year run and deserve more attention for it we need to realize that if they win it this year they blow by us for the last 5 years. 2011-title for us, FF for them. 2012-1st round exit for us, title for them. 2013-ban for us and NIT for them. 2014-title for us, FF for them and if they win it this year it'll be NIT for us and undefeated title season for them. That'd be 2 titles, a ban and two NITs for us while in the same time span they get 2 titles, 2 more FF and an NIT. IF they win it this year, as much as I hate to say it it's not comparable. That's why they get the attention and we don't. As much as I hate it, IF they win it this year we are still the most dominating program of the last 20 years but in the last 5 years it's them. Ironic how we are the team that's kept them from being a dynasty. I often wonder, and I hate the squid and know it never would've happened...how would we feel about it if he was our coach instead of Ollie and we were the ones getting all of these guys, doing what they're doing. Would we feel like KY fans feel or not enjoy it as much bc of the system he uses?

Last edited:

UConn_Top_Dog

Reaction Score
I often wonder, and I hate the squid and know it never would've happened...how would we feel about it if he was our coach instead of Ollie and we were the ones getting all of these guys, doing what they're doing. Would we feel like KY fans feel or not enjoy it as much bc of the system he uses?

Good point. Personally I would hate if we became what UK is now. You don't get to enjoy watching players for more than one year.

Reaction Score
Good point. Personally I would hate if we became what UK is now. You don't get to enjoy watching players for more than one year.

Its also more meaningful to watch players who win the title overcoming the struggle the ups and downs and overcoming adversity in their career. I would welcome a one and done here and there but a full team of them every year no.

Reaction Score
Its also more meaningful to watch players who win the title overcoming the struggle the ups and downs and overcoming adversity in their career. I would welcome a one and done here and there but a full team of them every year no.
We've had no luck with one-and-dones here. AD blossomed 2 years later. I just wish the NCAA would let us know why they don't have to take classes.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It's absurd that people on here continue to insist Calipari's an average game coach.
very few could do less with what he has this year

Reaction Score
gtcam said:
very few could do less with what he has this year

This. He was a very good motivator 20 years ago but he even got very good players at UMASS. His Final Four team was stacked and they played hard.

I've always felt Cal could recruit and motivate. While that doesn't make him a great game coach, it wins him a lot of games. With the recruiting he is doing at UK, he doesn't need coaching ability and probably doesn't even need to motivate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom