Uh, Oh, Stewie Is Out With an Injury | The Boneyard

Uh, Oh, Stewie Is Out With an Injury

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Foot? I thought she caught a leg brace to her knee. Not sure how her foot got involved. Anyway, bad break for Seattle. Only 2 games left. @ LA seems winnable even without Stewie, but finishing w/ Phoenix coming to visit will be tough. I guess a lot depends on the Merc's injury situation as well. Could be hard pressed to hang onto #3 seed playoff spot.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
The Mercury have a very tough schedule - Sun, Storm, and Aces. On the other hand, the Lynx are 18-10 and have very easy schedule, three with Indiana and one with Washington. I like the Lynx chances for a three seed although the tiebreaker between the Lynx and the Storm goes to Seattle.

Reaction Score
If I were a betting man, I'd say the injury isn't horribly severe. With only two games remaining virtually no shot at a top two seed, it makes sense to let her rest and recover before the playoffs. Since they didn't rule her out for the postseason, that's my guess. Unfortunate either way.

Reaction Score
I’m wondering if Seattle is hoping for the 4 seed. IF they make it out of the single game elimination round, they would face Connecticut, a team they beat 3x this season (including the commissioner’s cup). As a 3 seed they would likely face Las Vegas, who they lost to twice during the regular season. Of course if Stewart is out for the playoffs too it may not matter anyways. Seattle will finish no lower than 5th so I wonder if Quinn holds out Bird too for the last two games and then they take their chances in the playoffs with whatever seed they get.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I’m wondering if Seattle is hoping for the 4 seed. IF they make it out of the single game elimination round, they would face Connecticut, a team they beat 3x this season (including the commissioner’s cup). As a 3 seed they would likely face Las Vegas, who they lost to twice during the regular season. Of course if Stewart is out for the playoffs too it may not matter anyways. Seattle will finish no lower than 5th so I wonder if Quinn holds out Bird too for the last two games and then they take their chances in the playoffs with whatever seed they get.
A 3 or 4 seed doesnt play the first day of the playoffs. A 5 seed plays a game, and hosts, then goes on the road for a game.
A 3 or 4 seed plays a one game playoff (2nd round)vs a lower seed at home. A 5 seed would travel for the one game playoff.

I would rather be a 3 or 4 seed.

Of course, without Stewie it might be moot.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I am afraid of the Storm finishing 4th, as I agree that the Sun don't want to play them before the finals. The thought was that if the Sun finished 1, than the Storm and Aces would battle it out to face the Sun in the finals. This would be a huge disappointment for the Sun if the Aces and Storm don't finish 2 and 3.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Wherever they finish, the Storm might want to avoid a one off game against Chicago who they are 0-3 against, including one of their worst losses in franchise history.

Reaction Score
Storm seem to be dropping fast. They lost to the Sparks and it wasn't even a close game. Shows how important Stewart is to the success of the team. Bird has not been the same since the Olympics. I believe her age is finally beginning to show its a shame because she started the season very strong. Their game against Phoenix will be key as to who gets the fourth seed. Phoenix is the hottest team right now and a win will give them the tie breaker with Seattle even if the should lose to the Aces on Sunday. It certainly looks like they will end up with the 5th seed and that means no bye what so ever.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Phoenix is the hottest team right now
Since the Commissioners Cup game didn't count toward the standings, Connecticut is on a 12 game winning streak and just snapped Phoenix's streak (had been 10).

Reaction Score
Dang!! Hopefully the injury isn't too serious. Tough loss for the Storm and hoping that Breanna can get back out there at 100%

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
My interpretation of Quinn's post-game comments last night is that Stewie is done for the year.

Even with a healthy Stewie the Storm didn't look like a championship team but now a first round exit wouldn't surprise me. Sue Bird isn't the only player who hasn't been the same since the Olympics; the same can be said for Loyd. In fact, Jewell wasn't playing all that well before the Olympics. She had the 2 good games against the Liberty after the Olympics and hasn't been the same player since.

Meanwhile, the Sun, with no Olympians, look unbeatable.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
the same can be said for Loyd
Jewell put in a herculean effort during the games Stewie and Bird sat out, but that seemed to do her in.

Storm management get an D for this season. Offseason moves were terrible, the talent they lost compared to who they brought in as replacements is just no comparison. Then promoting Quinn to HC when she wasn't even close to ready for it compounded the problems. Finally admitted signing Dupree was a mistake when they cut her, but failed to bring in another big body, so they have no post depth.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom