UCONN's Zone Offense - Do We Have the Horses | The Boneyard

UCONN's Zone Offense - Do We Have the Horses

Reaction Score
My very first thread, yay!
If this has been posted or discussed in the past, my apologies.
But I think it is a good one to chew on, while we wait for more data points to assess the team.

I saw this break down of how the Huskies attack the Zone defense, and I started to think about the personnel, this year and more importantly, next year.

Caveat...
.... not a basketball coach or tactician, did not play basketball....half-court pickups many, many moons ago don't count.
....but professionally, I understand precision, numbers, critical, analytical thinking and decision making. So I recognize it when I see it, and it is fascinating to see young people , without much Worldly experience, performing at very high levels in very stressful situations.

So, I saw smarts, precision and selflessness in the decision making and execution (evidence of why "me-first", "selfish, ball-hawk hero" type players are not recruited by the Program, in my opinion).
  • Precise, timely movement ........be at a particular spot at a particular time (and, oh, don't be bother by that person who is trying to relocate your nose or put a nice, dark makeup under your eye - Crystal & KLS can attest to that!)
  • Decision making based on your opponents' actions/reactions ......... not pre-planned, put my head down, this is what I am going to do hero-stuff
  • Ability to make shots, plain and simple .......tire legs, fatigue, the Little Italian does not care!

The current starting five has three proven pieces in the zone offense (KLS, Pheesa & Crystal) , but also two talented but unproven members. But importantly in my opinion, two critical pieces will be gone next year, and as of now, no identifiable quality replacements in the incoming class.

So, I want to see what you think about who fills what role in this very precise offense, this year and much more importantly, next year. Off course, I am hoping you will watch the video first so that all discuss from the same baseline...

UCONN Huskies (NCAAW) - Zone Offense Tips

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Welcome to the Boneyard AussieHusky. I’ll get to your question in a minute, but I have to ask how someone from Down Under became a fan of UConn women’s basketball?

Reaction Score
Welcome to the Boneyard AussieHusky. I’ll get to your question in a minute, but I have to ask how someone from Down Under became a fan of UConn women’s basketball?
Easy!
Lived and worked in CT until a few years ago. Also, wife is American, so kind of spend time between Oz and America (a few years here, a few years there.... the wife makes the decision...lol!)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
OK, so here’s the answer to your question. This year the starting 5 looks pretty well set with the 3 you mention plus sophomore Megan Walker and freshman Christyn Williams. Megan likely fills Gabby Williams spot on offense and defense and Christyn fills Kia Nurse's spot. Not much help off the bench so far. Hopefully, that changes soon. While the zone/motion offense concepts will still be part of UConn's offensive philosophy, Geno has suggested that he is making changes to the offense this year that will take some time. Specifically, he has suggested that UConn may start taking the first open shot, as opposed to working the ball for the best shot. We'll see how that works out

Hard to predict next years starting 5. Lou and Pheesa graduate :(, but Crystal, Megan and Christyn all come back :). After that, current freshman Olivia Nelson-Ododa and sophomore Mikayla Coombs would be the best bets on the current team to fill the starting 5, but UConn should be getting decisions from the #1 and #3 recruits in the country by early next week: Haley Jones & Aliyah Boston. They both played on the Under 17 World Championship team this past summer and both made the all-tournament team. Assuming that they decide to come to UConn, either one could start next year for the Huskies.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
AussieHusky, there is nothing wrong with a ball hawk. That is a player that gets her hands on a lot of balls while on defense and gets a number of steals. Now, a ball hog is the kind of player the UConn coaching staff does not recruit.

Reaction Score
This is a nice thread. Welcome to the Board, Aussie!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Now, a ball hog is the kind of player the UConn coaching staff does not recruit.
Not true at all.

Ode to the Ball Hog Chick​

(JS)​

UConn's got a young guard
And they call that girl DT.
And you never find it hard
To see she's friendly as can be.​

She pats the ref right on the butt
And tousles coach's hair.
She always makes you bust a gut
And never shows a care.​

But opponents better watch out